The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe most everyone knows about this guy. I only found out about him because of TikTok. Some of the best content out there on the 'net, for sure. Any true hockey fan will enjoy his musings, quiet adventures, pastimes, and reflections.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COgzaO5HjQi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

He's got a few longer form pieces on YouTube (which will embed).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was walking tonight and looked up and saw this.

20210520_193651.thumb.jpg.f918e5f5bb288d76a74af8c2be853a3d.jpg

I went to flightradar24.com and saw that it was a plane out of Cleveland that was heading back toward Ohio. But then it kept doing loops along basically the same path. It was up there, 47,000 feet, and moving pretty fast.

Screenshot_20210520-202654.thumb.jpg.d11bbc54fc40fbcf3bb9c59422304d6a.jpg

According to the tailnumber, it's this Gulfstream:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfstream_G650

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what it's doing? (As I type this, it's coming around the horn again over Jamestown.)

Terry Pegula jokes invited.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I went to flightradar24.com and saw that it was a plane out of Cleveland that was heading back toward Ohio. But then it kept doing loops along basically the same path. It was up there, 47,000 feet, and moving pretty fast.

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what it's doing? (As I type this, it's coming around the horn again over Jamestown.)

That's very strange. At first I thought maybe they were looking at some kind of site at the east end of that circuit, but the altitude is much too high. 

So they must have simply been on their way somewhere and decided to go into a holding pattern and then head back. Cancelled meeting of some kind perhaps? It's a private charter so nothing interesting in that sense. 

So, the other day, Mrs CC and I had to go to Charlottesville. On the way back, we stopped to get a couple of bottles of pop. She tried to open it, but she couldn't. (In all fairness, she's been having some issues with her hands - but that's another story and we are not seeking outside medical advice at this time). So, i tried it. I couldn't get it to budge either. I let my mind wander for a few seconds. Pocket knife won't work. We don't have any tools in the car. Wait a minute! We do have jumper cables! I got them out, hooked up one of the alligator clips, expanded the inside handle, and, voila! Cap opened, happy wife who laughed at my suggestion!

On 5/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, PASabreFan said:

Strictly guessing, but could be that after take off but before they'd reached the 1/2 way point o f the flight they realized/found there was a minor mechanical problem and were told by ATC to return to the airport they started out from.

As the issue wasn't at the emergency stage, they were trying to burn up the fuel before landing.  And the way to do that is for the pilot to make like Tony Stewart & go around in circles (or ovals, as the case may be) a whole lot of times.

Know that is the way they do (did) it for commercial flights.  Expect that smaller/chartered planes follow a similar protocol but don't know that for certain.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Strictly guessing, but could be that after take off but before they'd reached the 1/2 way point o f the flight they realized/found there was a minor mechanical problem and were told by ATC to return to the airport they started out from.

As the issue wasn't at the emergency stage, they were trying to burn up the fuel before landing.  And the way to do that is for the pilot to make like Tony Stewart & go around in circles (or ovals, as the case may be) a whole lot of times.

Know that is the way they do (did) it for commercial flights.  Expect that smaller/chartered planes follow a similar protocol but don't know that for certain.

That's a good theory.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Funny. I just happened onto some clips of docs talking about unsedated colonoscopy. Apparently it should be a pain-free procedure. So what's up with the sedative, pain med and amnesiac?

You want to do that fully lucid, you go gurrl.  I like my naps.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, PASabreFan said:

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Funny. I just happened onto some clips of docs talking about unsedated colonoscopy. Apparently it should be a pain-free procedure. So what's up with the sedative, pain med and amnesiac?

Pain free?  I believe in doctor speak, you’ll feel a little bit of pressure.  Like the Red October trying to squeeze into Irondequoit Bay kind of pressure.  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Pain free?  I believe in doctor speak, you’ll feel a little bit of pressure.  Like the Red October trying to squeeze into Irondequoit Bay kind of pressure.  

The more I read about it, the more woke I get. People decline the sedation so they can get on with their day, go to work, drive home etc.

I'm guessing the skill of the surgeon is key. If you haven't been doing unsedated colonoscopies, you might inflict some pain.

Mrs. iT won the Democratic nomination for town council at caucus a few weeks ago. Two local current council members running for re-election already on the Republican ticket showed up to challenge for the Dem nomination too. 

Apparently her platform (access to town water for all residents) challenges their platform (nothing done for anyone in town) so they decided that no choice for town council was better than having a choice. 

They lost bigly (seen what I done there?). If she were to win then she would be the first Dem in the 200+ year history of this town to win that office. 

At first I thought she had no chance but there seems to be a lot of excitement for her efforts. I’m proud of her. 

Demographics are fluid, man. Jump in the game.

• Like (+1) 5