The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

The Sabrespace front page ad tonight was for a learn to dribble, pass, and shoot video with Steph Curry.  

I don't even follow basketball.  

I love the front page ads.  Constant entertainment.  And who knows?  I might even buy that gun safe some day.  

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Recreational marijuana is now legal in New Jersey.

Not sure if that means it is now going to be easier or harder to get.

Also not sure if that means it is going to be less or more expensive now.

It's legal here in Ontario, too.  

I was able to order 7 grams online for the equivalent of $31 USD (includes tax), and have it delivered to my house for free.  This is cheaper than anything I've gotten from the black market for at least 30 years.  The variety to choose from and the quality of product are outstanding.

I think the low cost is the province's approach to making the black market no longer viable.  I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up the prices once they figure they have dealt a substantial blow to the black market.  That would be consistent with their alcohol policy which is to make it at least twice as expensive as alcohol is in the US.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Recreational marijuana is now legal in New Jersey.

Not sure if that means it is now going to be easier or harder to get.

Also not sure if that means it is going to be less or more expensive now.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

And what’s the deal with white and black houses? It’s like the Matrix isn’t even trying anymore.

Well, we know how you spent that hour.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:44 PM, Eleven said:

So Larry Playfair's nephew (a/k/a Riley for those who watch Letterkenny) is the new Gordon Bombay?

Yup.  He's awesome too.  Not sure how he is in Mighty Ducks but I love him in Letterkenny.. then again I love pretty much everything about Letterkenny.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the This Isn't How You Think You Might Die department...

While I was worrying about the Big C, the Big One and/or getting shot by an elderly deer hunter in the woods, this almost happened.

My gas dryer was struggling to dry clothes on Friday and Saturday. I'd been waiting for this day. It's 32 years old. What was I going to do, write a stern letter to General Electric? The funny thing is, water started dripping out of the front of the dryer. I took a cover off the front and watched the burner do its thing. It flamed up, then went off in exactly four seconds, only to turn back on about 30 seconds later, and so on. I tried to dry clothes this way for over an hour. There was some heat in the dryer, but no real drying was taking place.

On Sunday, I took off the flexible plastic vent that directs hot air and fumes outside and saw quite a bit of damp lint inside. I cleaned out inside the vent on the back of the dryer and inside the vent on the wall. I was thinking it was just time for new venting. First, I decided to check one more thing, the vent on the outside of the house. To my shock and then near-horror, some neighborhood kids who'd been playing in the empty lot next to mine shoved two plastic Easter eggs into the vent cover, jamming shut the flapper (for lack of a better word) that opens up and releases the air to the outside when the dryer is running. I mean, they couldn't have done a better job sealing it off. (I assume it was the kids I saw playing out there. But I can't rule out The Easter Egg Asphyxiator.)

I can't say I was close to death or anything. I didn't have any symptoms, although I took a long nap after a late breakfast on Saturday, which is rare for me. I'm wondering why my carbon monoxide detector didn't go off. My only theory is that the flame turning off after four seconds was a safety feature that kicks in when the vent is blocked. After I got everything straightened out, I watched the flame and now it stays lit. Shouldn't some carbon monoxide have been circulating inside?

You almost lost the GPOAT.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

In the This Isn't How You Think You Might Die department...

While I was worrying about the Big C, the Big One and/or getting shot by an elderly deer hunter in the woods, this almost happened.

My gas dryer was struggling to dry clothes on Friday and Saturday. I'd been waiting for this day. It's 32 years old. What was I going to do, write a stern letter to General Electric? The funny thing is, water started dripping out of the front of the dryer. I took a cover off the front and watched the burner do its thing. It flamed up, then went off in exactly four seconds, only to turn back on about 30 seconds later, and so on. I tried to dry clothes this way for over an hour. There was some heat in the dryer, but no real drying was taking place.

On Sunday, I took off the flexible plastic vent that directs hot air and fumes outside and saw quite a bit of damp lint inside. I cleaned out inside the vent on the back of the dryer and inside the vent on the wall. I was thinking it was just time for new venting. First, I decided to check one more thing, the vent on the outside of the house. To my shock and then near-horror, some neighborhood kids who'd been playing in the empty lot next to mine shoved two plastic Easter eggs into the vent cover, jamming shut the flapper (for lack of a better word) that opens up and releases the air to the outside when the dryer is running. I mean, they couldn't have done a better job sealing it off. (I assume it was the kids I saw playing out there. But I can't rule out The Easter Egg Asphyxiator.)

I can't say I was close to death or anything. I didn't have any symptoms, although I took a long nap after a late breakfast on Saturday, which is rare for me. I'm wondering why my carbon monoxide detector didn't go off. My only theory is that the flame turning off after four seconds was a safety feature that kicks in when the vent is blocked. After I got everything straightened out, I watched the flame and now it stays lit. Shouldn't some carbon monoxide have been circulating inside?

You almost lost the GPOAT.

Did anyone track the Pegula jet in PA last week?

• Haha (+1) 1

Everyday at about 1:45pm, as I sit outside with my dogs, the lunch ladies from the school next door come out onto the terrace to burn one. These ladies sound like a cartoon. It's almost a skit. They sound like if a Misty and a Virginia Slim could talk.

Edited by ubkev

So we’re staying this weekend at a bed and breakfast we’ve been going to almost every year for the last 20 years.  The first time we ever stayed here, in the middle of the stay I had a kidney stone decide it wanted out.

20 yrs later and here I am, kidney stone raising hell again.

One thing led to another on YouTube and I was a couple hours deep into live coverage of the Reagan assassination attempt in 1981.

Wow, things have changed. In the famous video of the aftermath of the shooting, a woman in a business suit ran away from the scene. The anchor, Roger Mudd of NBC, said something like, "And you can see a secretary running away from the area."

I guess in 1981 there was still some implicit arrangement that what the White House said was gospel. All the networks clung to the idea that because an official at the White House said Reagan was fine, Reagan was fine. Even after there was reporting that top aides and Nancy Reagan went running into the hospital, they continued to say that everyone, even the president, had gone there to be with Jim Brady, the press secretary who was shot in the head. This would make no sense given the paranoia of the Cold War. If unscathed, the president would surely have gone back the White House.

As most of this played out, my dad was driving me to the Sabres-Bruins game that night at the Aud. It was a low-scoring tie played in a very subdued mood, which might have lifted a bit when Uncle Miltie announced that the Gipper was out of surgery and doing OK.

40 years ago! Reagan, Sadat and the Pope, all in one year.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

One thing led to another on YouTube and I was a couple hours deep into live coverage of the Reagan assassination attempt in 1981.

Wow, things have changed. In the famous video of the aftermath of the shooting, a woman in a business suit ran away from the scene. The anchor, Roger Mudd of NBC, said something like, "And you can see a secretary running away from the area."

I guess in 1981 there was still some implicit arrangement that what the White House said was gospel. All the networks clung to the idea that because an official at the White House said Reagan was fine, Reagan was fine. Even after there was reporting that top aides and Nancy Reagan went running into the hospital, they continued to say that everyone, even the president, had gone there to be with Jim Brady, the press secretary who was shot in the head. This would make no sense given the paranoia of the Cold War. If unscathed, the president would surely have gone back the White House.

As most of this played out, my dad was driving me to the Sabres-Bruins game that night at the Aud. It was a low-scoring tie played in a very subdued mood, which might have lifted a bit when Uncle Miltie announced that the Gipper was out of surgery and doing OK.

40 years ago! Reagan, Sadat and the Pope, all in one year.

Roger Mudd’s grandfather—or something like that—was implicated in the Lincoln assassination and put to death. He was a doctor and fixed Booths leg. Mudd, was put to death. “Your name is Mudd” is thought to come from that. 

Not telling anyone anything they didn’t know? Well, how about this, John Wilkes Booth was in Buffalo on the Fourth of July 1863, when Gettysburg was going on. He was an actor and many people liked him, they threw benefits in his honor. At that same time Father Baker was boarding a train to join the army in an emergency role to face Lees invasion of the north. 

I also found out that that one of the guys who hunted down and killed Booth lived on Saranac Avenue in Buffalo not far from where I grew up. 

• Like (+1) 2

Movie I just found on Netflix that is partially set in Buffalo...

"Crimson Peak"  Don't know how long its been on there. Turn of the century (1900s). Someplace between a drama and Horror.

Stars Tom Hiddleston (known for Loki in the MCU) and Jessica Chastain.  I'm still trying to figure out if I liked it or not, some time after watching it.