The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

On 5/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

The oddness and the almost meanness was what made Frank Frank.  *You wanna piece of me?  You got it!*

What about the soft and gentle Frank.  The Frank of Festivus ... up until the airing of grievances and the feats of strength.

Festivus Frank wasn't soft and gentle, he just hated the commercialization of Christmas. I've been trying to think of examples to support your claim. I came up with Frank going into the computer business and hiring his son, somewhat proudly, to be his salesman. Almost sentimental there. He did agree with Estelle once that Susan's parents deliberately didn't put out the marble rye, which forestalled another car argument. Still... not soft and gentle. He wistfully remembered his Korean lover before miraculously being reunited with her — then proceeded to stop short with her. I proclaim Frank possessed zero softness and gentleness.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Festivus Frank wasn't soft and gentle, he just hated the commercialization of Christmas. I've been trying to think of examples to support your claim. I came up with Frank going into the computer business and hiring his son, somewhat proudly, to be his salesman. Almost sentimental there. He did agree with Estelle once that Susan's parents deliberately didn't put out the marble rye, which forestalled another car argument. Still... not soft and gentle. He wistfully remembered his Korean lover before miraculously being reunited with her — then proceeded to stop short with her. I proclaim Frank possessed zero softness and gentleness.

Wrong!!

It's in the episode itself.  Festivus was born from Frank's violence in a toy store, wherein he was trying to buy a doll for his son.  The use of the word "doll" was especially funny, but not sufficiently punctuated with recorded laughter.

Edited by Eleven

I haven't seen it in a while, but I feel like he showed a soft side when it came to his Korean girlfriend.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's in the episode itself.  Festivus was born from Frank's violence in a toy store, wherein he was trying to buy a doll for his son.  The use of the word "doll" was especially funny, but not sufficiently punctuated with recorded laughter.

You're not gonna lecture me about Festivus.

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You are correct.  Frank will.

I really don't appreciate this. I'm sure only one of us actually celebrates the holiday. This reminds me of the Thanksgiving you tried to tell me cloves are one of the ingredients in pumpkin pie spice.

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I really don't appreciate this. I'm sure only one of us actually celebrates the holiday. This reminds me of the Thanksgiving you tried to tell me cloves are one of the ingredients in pumpkin pie spice.

Hey.  I have friends who have a Festivus party every year.  It's usually a really good time.  Especially the airing of grievances--and yes, that actually happens, but via unsigned notes folded and dropped in a bowl.

Let the arguments begin......

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/entertainment/erry-2018/05/b4f494108a5457/the_battle_of_upstate_new_york.html

Its a flawed experiment.  None of those dogs were properly cooked.  Not nearly enough browning on the casing.  I agree with the Sahlens assessment though.  They aren’t the dogs I remember.   Been ages since I’ve has a Wardynski’s.  Time to seek them out I guess.

16 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Man they didn't even cook those Sahlen's right. You gotta grill em until they start popping open on their own, none of this cutting business like the package says. 

I gotta say, the best application of Sahlens is at Teds, and they cut the hell out of them.  I think it matters.  Sahlens needs all those cut ends to brown and crisp up for them to compete.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I gotta say, the best application of Sahlens is at Teds, and they cut the hell out of them.  I think it matters.  Sahlens needs all those cut ends to brown and crisp up for them to compete.

I'll have to watch more closely the next time I'm at Ted's, I don't remember them cutting the dogs. But you gotta let the Sahlen's crisp up more.

The Zweigle's red hots weren't cooked enough either. Not sure who this reviewer is but I question their qualifications as a cased meats connoisseur.

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'll have to watch more closely the next time I'm at Ted's, I don't remember them cutting the dogs. But you gotta let the Sahlen's crisp up more.

The Zweigle's red hots weren't cooked enough either. Not sure who this reviewer is but I question their qualifications as a cased meats connoisseur.

I thought the same thing.

I’ve never been to Ted’s. Going to have to make it a destination the next time I get beck.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Let the arguments begin......

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/entertainment/erry-2018/05/b4f494108a5457/the_battle_of_upstate_new_york.html

Its a flawed experiment.  None of those dogs were properly cooked.  Not nearly enough browning on the casing.  I agree with the Sahlens assessment though.  They aren’t the dogs I remember.   Been ages since I’ve has a Wardynski’s.  Time to seek them out I guess.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Man they didn't even cook those Sahlen's right. You gotta grill em until they start popping open on their own, none of this cutting business like the package says. 

I remember thinking the exact same thing when this article came out.  

It's fine to cut them, BTW, as long as you leave them on the grill long enough to crisp up.

7 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Hoffman's are simply the finest of hot dogs.

Gross.

1 hour ago, hsif said:

Smiths is the wiener............. winner. From a little West of Buffalo, but worth the effort. 

https://www.smithhotdogs.com/product-info/wieners/

I will give them a try some time.

Of the NY regional dogs I’ve had,  Zweigle’s whites and Hoffmans are my favorites.  But the Zweigle’s casing really need to be crisped up or I don’t like them at all.

This is preliminary until I reacquaint myself with Wardynskis.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

At Teds they are constantly scoring the casing as it cooks.  The cuts from the scoring get browned and crispy as they cook.  I use their method at home.  

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Might as well go all the way and get real bratwurst if I'm headed in that direction.

And I do that too.  A white hot is basically a brat.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Except at Ted's where they grill them while piercing them with a fork to get them to open and split faster.