The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

The big problem with rarely driving anywhere is that the birds are starting to use my car for target practice.  It's those damn mockingbirds again.  Those things are Richards, so I know they're doing it intentionally.  The sure sign of that?  One even managed to hit my wife's car which is parked in the garage.

• Haha (+1) 1

A couple questions from a friend of mine ...

1.)  Is there a real differnce between Macs and Windows based PCs these days?

I thought that the 'creative' types preferred Macs with the different graphics software etc., but is there any real significant difference these days?  I think @Eleven uses / has used Macs, so any info would be great.

2.)  If it's strictly on the interwebs is it an affair and a girlfriend?  

My friend is in a situation and he is torn.  My opinion is that it is, especially since he is not comfortable telling his wife.  No kidding, man.

Thanks Dr. Phil(s) ... I'll hang up and listen ...

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I thought that the 'creative' types preferred Macs with the different graphics software etc., but is there any real significant difference these days?  I think @Eleven uses / has used Macs, so any info would be great.

My friend is in a situation and he is torn.  My opinion is that it is, especially since he is not comfortable telling his wife.  No kidding, man.

1) As a 25+ year Mac user, no, there is no difference. They both have there pluses and minuses.

2) Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1)  I just prefer Macs because I know SLIGHTLY more about what to do if something goes wrong.  Twenty years ago, I could do more, but in this age of closed operating systems, I'm largely at sea no matter which OS.  So it's mostly familiarity at this point.

2)  Sounds like what some people call an "emotional affair," which often leads to a real one.  Not a good place to be.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks, guys ...

One difference is in organizing files.. Mac does it for you... and though PC will do it for you..  you can still manage your own personnel files where you want on your hard drives, ie docs and photos manually a lot easier within programs.

MACs though I find a little more idiot proof especially with apps.  just imo.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There's a Mac "community." Is there a PC "community"?

oh yes. "PC Master Race". 

both are insufferable, apple fanboys and PC build-it-yourself-or-you-suck folks 

Gamers tend to be PC. Artists tend to be Apple. Everyone else it really doesn't make a difference- just what file UI you prefer and if syncing devices is an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, josie said:

oh yes. "PC Master Race". 

both are insufferable, apple fanboys and PC build-it-yourself-or-you-suck folks 

Gamers tend to be PC. Artists tend to be Apple. Everyone else it really doesn't make a difference- just what file UI you prefer and if syncing devices is an issue. 

I am Grateful!™ I didn't know about the PC folks.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Today was a good day.  A teenage kid threatened to hit me with his skateboard after I told him not to break police tape blocking off the street.  I haven't had that much fun since this craziness started.

Gonna leave us hanging?

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Today was a good day.  A teenage kid threatened to hit me with his skateboard after I told him not to break police tape blocking off the street.  I haven't had that much fun since this craziness started.

Body cam footage? ?

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yep.  @shrader we want that and police reports.  Oh, and I'll take that skateboard, too.

Eh, it’s not all that much fun now that I know more. We have a road that leads into a new neighborhood under development. It has rod blocks up and is closed to traffic. Cars regularly pull up, move the signs, then drive through. I’ve been asking the cops about it a lot lately. Today they finally came out and marked those road blocks with police tape.

The kid came out a few hours later and was about to cut the tape so he could skate board down that road. I told him to stop and that the cops just put it out because all of those cars are breaking the law and it needs to stop. The kid made up a ton of excuses and when it became clear I wasn’t going to leave until he did, he held the board over his head and moved towards me. I told him that was a very bad idea. Eventually I fake called the cops to scare him off, it was actually just my wife on the other line. 

But yeah, when we eventually figured out who the kid is, of course I find out he’s autistic. I don’t think at any point it ever got out of hand, but I’m not crazy about the whole thing. The parents are going to check out the intersection with him tomorrow, so I’m hoping they’ll follow through on the message that he shouldn’t be breaking police tape and a roadblock. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, shrader said:

Eh, it’s not all that much fun now that I know more.

It's okay.  I think many of us are used to having high hopes/expectations about something in the beginning only to be let down later...

In all seriousness though, glad it didn't escalate and it sounds like it'll work itself out.

14 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

It's okay.  I think many of us are used to having high hopes/expectations about something in the beginning only to be let down later...

In all seriousness though, glad it didn't escalate and it sounds like it'll work itself out.

The one thing I’m glad about was that it was me and not someone else. All too often stuff like this happens and then someone is posting a picture of the kid on the neighborhoods Facebook page asking who he is. I’m not in that page, but if I was, that’s something that would be completely off limits, no public shaming of kids. I figured this one out by asking a friend with a similarly aged kid, then the wife reached out to the parents privately. I think this kid had one previous incident on there, so I know the mother appreciated this approach. 

And before anyone asks, the wife is on that page, so she occasionally points out the idiocy of that Facebook group. 

8 hours ago, shrader said:

The one thing I’m glad about was that it was me and not someone else. All too often stuff like this happens and then someone is posting a picture of the kid on the neighborhoods Facebook page asking who he is. I’m not in that page, but if I was, that’s something that would be completely off limits, no public shaming of kids. I figured this one out by asking a friend with a similarly aged kid, then the wife reached out to the parents privately. I think this kid had one previous incident on there, so I know the mother appreciated this approach. 

And before anyone asks, the wife is on that page, so she occasionally points out the idiocy of that Facebook group. 

A tale repeated on neighborhood facebook groups all over.  Ours is no different. Nothing like having proof of society's stupidity.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yep, everyone's stupid — except us.

Well done. Not what I said, but you get points for trying. I would have thought that the lack of automobiles would have reduced the fumes you inhale while living under that bridge of yours but apparently the damage is permanent.