The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Darcy Regier?

He sure went off the grid, didn’t he?

Ahhh crap, I typed it too quickly.  He's a friend of one of his sons, not Darcy himself, but did speak very highly of Darcy.  Apparently my neighbor spent some time in Buffalo in the early 2000s.  Trust me when I say this, but knowing this guy's background, I have absolutely no idea why he would have ever been in Buffalo.

13 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I have the ability to purchase a 2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000R from a colleague for a good price, I have my peterbilt road bike and miss the torque and hp of a sportier bike these days. 

Anyone know much about naked sports bikes or have any thoughts on this? 

Do you like being occasionally scared by a bike? You should be able to get your kicks with that Aprilia. That's not going to be a bike for the faint of heart. If you like aggressively carving twisty backroads then it'll do that.

The hard part with niche Italian bikes is always going to be parts. You should still be able to get parts for it, but I would talk to the seller to see how his knowledge base is with that kind of thing. If he doesn't know anything about where to get parts for it then I would be worried, since that's the kind of thing the owner of a bike like that should know.

32 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Do you like being occasionally scared by a bike? You should be able to get your kicks with that Aprilia. That's not going to be a bike for the faint of heart. If you like aggressively carving twisty backroads then it'll do that.

The hard part with niche Italian bikes is always going to be parts. You should still be able to get parts for it, but I would talk to the seller to see how his knowledge base is with that kind of thing. If he doesn't know anything about where to get parts for it then I would be worried, since that's the kind of thing the owner of a bike like that should know.

He's very knowledgeable and has done a tone of upgrades, it only has 7k miles on it he got it in 2009. As for the bike, I don't need to be doing wheelies or anything stunt wise, but my peterbilt can barely handle a corner because of its weigh and it's low foot platforms. I like it, but it's my highway cruiser and I miss coming hard out of a corner. There is a dealer in Amherst that can get parts and repair any needs that he uses. 

I attached some pics of the bike, I'm debating on pulling the trigger, but idk if I need another bike, just a 1st world problem ?

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He's very knowledgeable and has done a tone of upgrades, it only has 7k miles on it he got it in 2009. As for the bike, I don't need to be doing wheelies or anything stunt wise, but my peterbilt can barely handle a corner because of its weigh and it's low foot platforms. I like it, but it's my highway cruiser and I miss coming hard out of a corner. There is a dealer in Amherst that can get parts and repair any needs that he uses. 

I attached some pics of the bike, I'm debating on pulling the trigger, but idk if I need another bike, just a 1st world problem ?

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

It sounds like you're getting a good buy there. I'm the absolute wrong person to talk you out of buying a bike ?

That'd be a lot of fun. Back around that time I was looking for something sporty to complement my BMW (which is no slouch on the street but can't hang at a track day) and the Aprillas were on my radar. IIRC, they were more compact that the usual competitors (not a plus for me being relatively large) but that sound of the 60 degree V. I love naked bikes (or "standards" as they used to call them). Far more comfortable for the street than a full-blown sport bike and 99% as effective.

If the price is right, go far it. At 12 years old, it's past most of the depreciation curve so even if you sell it in a year or two it'll probably be nearly the same price.

18 minutes ago, MattPie said:

That'd be a lot of fun. Back around that time I was looking for something sporty to complement my BMW (which is no slouch on the street but can't hang at a track day) and the Aprillas were on my radar. IIRC, they were more compact that the usual competitors (not a plus for me being relatively large) but that sound of the 60 degree V. I love naked bikes (or "standards" as they used to call them). Far more comfortable for the street than a full-blown sport bike and 99% as effective.

If the price is right, go far it. At 12 years old, it's past most of the depreciation curve so even if you sell it in a year or two it'll probably be nearly the same price.

I'm just not too familiar with these Italian bikes so much, I'm also a fan of the full fairing look overall. He's looking for 4k and he's taken amazing care of this bike, the upgrades alone make this a steal. Looking at the reviews the concensus is that it's basically a race bike with street comfort. I don't hate the "naked" part of it, just not sure if I should pass this up for a more aggressive look, and sacrifice performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday we passed a car with a for sale sign in the window on our walk.

I said to my wife nobody is going to be buying a car right now.

Today my dad - who I have been trying to encourage to stay isolated and I thought was taking this situation seriously - just showed up at my door with a new car.

I don’t know what to say.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Today my dad - who I have been trying to encourage to stay isolated and I thought was taking this situation seriously - just showed up at my door with a new car.

That sounds about right. The olds have not been taking this whole thing very seriously.

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That sounds about right. The olds have not been taking this whole thing very seriously.

Really?  The very few, elderly people I tend to interact with have been taking it seriously.  (Which, is very anecdotal and doesn't mean much.)

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Talked to my parents yesterday. Mom says to me "this morning we went golfing with another couple"

Are you ***** kidding me, mom! What the *****!!! I don't care how young you two feel. You are ***** old! Get in the ***** house and stay there!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really?  The very few, elderly people I tend to interact with have been taking it seriously.  (Which, is very anecdotal and doesn't mean much.)

I'm only basing my take on anecdotes too, but I can say that a lot of my friends have voiced frustration with their parents/grandparents.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Did Chris Drury ever smile? download-1.jpg.2c611da0d1127a559467a95499b95108.jpg

This is about the best he ever managed. I Always thought there was something dark about him and then it hit me last night that he never really showed much happiness or joy. Loved him as a hockey player but just thought there was something strange about him 

He's got a goofy face. You can get a smile out of him but you gotta get him from the right angle.

hockey-closeup-portrait-of-buffalo-sabre

• Like (+1) 2