The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I've gone low key prepper for the first time in my life.  In case we end up quarantened, or worse sick, and we can't get to a store for a few weeks we bought 4 weeks worth of dry goods.

There is a Newsweek article today written by an doctor in Italy, coroborating what was mentioned in that video.  Overloaded hospitals.  6% fatality rate.  Wow. Survivors dealing with significantly reduced lung capacity and recover time measuring months. 

One of the major risk factors being talked about is hypertension.  That is a problem for me.  I'm getting concerned.

I'm cruising middle of the road right now. I'm not locking my family in an underground bunker but I sure as hell ain't attending any large gatherings. I've been waiting for information on the details of "underlying health issues".  To me that was too vague.  The general consensus of diabetes and blood pressure being part of the mortality equation is concerning to me and should probably be for a lot of people.  I'm certain this is going to make it's way everywhere and it's just a matter of being cautious and weathering the storm.  The fact that the flu is still rampant and allergies are starting to kick in for some people complicates the situation.

I think people need to familiarize themselves with the basics of viruses.  The fact that I'm acquainted to people that think antibiotics will solve this leaves me speechless.  Also, the fact that grocery stores are sold out of hand sanitizer but the stock of hand soap doesn't have a dent in it boggles my mind.  Soap>hand sanitizer.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

And there are a lot of people whose immune systems aren't up to snuff. 

I would assume that people with autoimmune disorders would be at a greater risk of complications from this as well. 

Wash hands with soap often, make the least amount of contact as possible with doors/handles, reduce trips to public places if possible, avoid touching my face, avoid close proximity and contact with others in public.  Wiping down work stations and phones at work.  That's how I'm rolling for a while.  Hopefully it works.

Edited by Indabuff

Just now, Indabuff said:

I would assume that people with autoimmune disorders would be at a greater risk of complications from this as well. 

Wash hands with soap often, make the least amount of contact as possible with doors/handles, reduce trips to public places if possible, avoid touching my face, avoid close proximity and contact with others in public.  That's how I'm rolling for a while.  Hopefully it works.

Most of that is stuff you, and everyone else, should always be doing anyway. 

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Most of that is stuff you, and everyone else, should always be doing anyway. 

Well it is, but I didn't want to come off as condescending.  I'm also aware that the majority of people on this board are intelligent but it doesn't hurt to reiterate.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Well it is, but I didn't want to come off as condescending.  I'm also aware that the majority of people on this board are intelligent but it doesn't hurt to reiterate.

I didn’t mean to be condescending either, sorry if I came off that way. I’m just a little tired of being told to practice basic hygiene everywhere (not that you were). There was a giant billboard about washing your hands on my drive to work today. It just seems...sad? We should be doing all that at this point in civilization. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I didn’t mean to be condescending either, sorry if I came off that way. I’m just a little tired of being told to practice basic hygiene everywhere (not that you were). There was a giant billboard about washing your hands on my drive to work today. It just seems...sad? We should be doing all that at this point in civilization. 

I don't see any difference in washing hands to avoid illness and choosing to stay home to be entertained to avoid illness.  They both should be self evident.

18 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I was picking up what you were putting down.  I've grown tired of the obviousness of it as well.  I'm guessing it being reiterated is for the select few that don't use brain cells on a regular basis so they're trying to condition those people like Pavlov's dogs.

this morning i woke up with the worst headache and neck ache, and i knew that it was caused because my pillow is old and garbage

while at target today, i had a handful of stuff, pillow, hot wings, etc. hands completely full. some random dude came up to me and offered to give me his empty hand cart because my hands were over full. i thanked him and told him i was good, on my way to the register. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm about to start buying some of these stocks, anyone have a recommendation of the best way/place to do that?

Open an account at Vanguard for an IRA (Roth, most likely based on your age) and put money into VTSAX. Index funds are where it's at, everything else is gambling. It is a good time, market may go down further but you're getting the 2017 discount right now compared to a month ago. Put them in your 2019 IRA and I think it'll lower your taxes for this year.

(I'm an amateur, but my partner read a ton of books over the last year and that's where we landed on the easiest and most likely to succeed plan)

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Open an account at Vanguard for an IRA (Roth, most likely based on your age) and put money into VTSAX. Index funds are where it's at, everything else is gambling. It is a good time, market may go down further but you're getting the 2017 discount right now compared to a month ago. Put them in your 2019 IRA and I think it'll lower your taxes for this year.

(I'm an amateur, but my partner read a ton of books over the last year and that's where we landed on the easiest and most likely to succeed plan)

All my stuff goes into my IRA as it is, I just figured it'd be a good idea to buy individual stocks right now too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

All my stuff goes into my IRA as it is, I just figured it'd be a good idea to buy individual stocks right now too.

I never felt like I'd make good decisions picking individual stocks. So we use the plan to:

• Enough into 401k to get the maximum match my company offers
  • Keep an emergency fund in CD ladder
  • Max out IRAs 
  • Spend the rest, lol.
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I followed this book and retired at 56.  I recommend it highly.

image.thumb.png.a0fbb4cc3988d8eb106d99d58878fa64.png

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

I was also going to recommend index/mutual funds through vanguard as well. It’s always easier to bet on the market than bet on individual companies. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, MattPie said:

14 hours ago, #freejame said:

I was also going to recommend index/mutual funds through vanguard as well. It’s always easier to bet on the market than bet on individual companies. 

I'm convinced that there isn't an investment company in America that's easier to deal with than Vanguard.  Their people are great.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm convinced that there isn't an investment company in America that's easier to deal with than Vanguard.  Their people are great.

Their website, however, feels fairly dated. Not geocities dated, but mid-2000s dated.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, PASabreFan said:

Interesting. So I would order a large quad-quad. What's quadrupling a quadruple called?

I think I have a coffee problem. I don't like coffee. Two cream and two sugar in such a small cup is basically just a dessert. I should probably try a large double double to see if I like the coffee. (If @New Scotland (NS) weren't doing a bunch of taxes right now, he'd tell us about how great Bosnia coffee and how bad Timmy's is. I miss that rascal.)

Bosnian, or Turkish.  All the rest is not worth the effort.

Just checking in to say we aint dead yet.

You are correct ... work and life in general gets in the way at this time of year.

And we are just 5 weeks away from Ramadan.

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

• Like (+1) 1