The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

20 hours ago, spndnchz said:

My truck got hit just last week. Took a left turn and got hit on the left rear (no pun intended) by a guy running a red light the opposite way. Seemingly on a 3 lane highway there wasn’t enough space for this dude to run the red light and miss me. You had three lanes and you picked my truck to hit almost through the intersection!

and when the cop showed up his first question was “did you have your seatbelt on”. I literally destroyed this small Ram truck and I had to chase him 2 blocks before he pulled over. ?

This guy was stopped at a red light, 5 or 6 cars back, then decided to randomly hit the gas and go while the light was still red.

I'm six post days post op from rotator cuff repair. It hurts yada yada but I'm on top of this like a weathervane and I heal like wolverine so I feel that I'm slightly ahead of where I should be. That being said, I have another 5 weeks in the sling and whatever PT is necessary afterwards. I really hope to shock people with my speed of recovery. I'm obviously not working in the field like usual but still have my other responsibilities. Now everyone is scrambling to find a way to get me to my meetings tonight...Holy ***** folks, if you hadn't noticed by now, there is absolutely nothing special about me. The meetings will go on without me just fine. We can reschedule class as well. I'm just a ***** dumb ironworker, people. I'm like the expensive toilet paper. I'm nice to have on hand but I ain't necessary. See you all next week(because regardless of what anyone says, I'm driving next week!). Also I'll apologize to SS for spending too much time here lately. I'll heal soon enough and go back to lurking in the shadows.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, PASabreFan said:

At age 50-coughcough I discovered the mechanical pencil. It's a beaut. My writing actually looks semi-human now, as opposed to the scrawlings of a highly caffeinated baboon that I produced with an ink pen. Weird. Why the difference?

11 hours ago, Neo said:

I believe it’s because a mechanical pencil connects you to a time when craftsmen held tools in their hands ...  with a throw away pen, you're thinking about the drawing.  With a mechanical pencil, you're thinking about the implement ...  who knows.

That's poetic, I love it. Being an Engineer, I'm thinking the increased friction of the pencil is easier to control.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

What part, I don’t remember what I said?

They do a part in the beginning of each issue where they ask a question and publish their favorite twitter responses to it after a writer makes their case. The question this issue was who deserves the Hart, and a twitter user named pastajoe argued for Eichel.

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

I'm six post days post op from rotator cuff repair. It hurts yada yada but I'm on top of this like a weathervane and I heal like wolverine so I feel that I'm slightly ahead of where I should be. That being said, I have another 5 weeks in the sling and whatever PT is necessary afterwards. I really hope to shock people with my speed of recovery. I'm obviously not working in the field like usual but still have my other responsibilities. Now everyone is scrambling to find a way to get me to my meetings tonight...Holy ***** folks, if you hadn't noticed by now, there is absolutely nothing special about me. The meetings will go on without me just fine. We can reschedule class as well. I'm just a ***** dumb ironworker, people. I'm like the expensive toilet paper. I'm nice to have on hand but I ain't necessary. See you all next week(because regardless of what anyone says, I'm driving next week!). Also I'll apologize to SS for spending too much time here lately. I'll heal soon enough and go back to lurking in the shadows.

How's sleeping working out for you with that shoulder.  I never had a rotator cuff injury without surgery, but man was it brutal attempting to sleep for a while after that.  I'm a side sleeper and that just didn't work at all.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

How's sleeping working out for you with that shoulder.  I never had a rotator cuff injury without surgery, but man was it brutal attempting to sleep for a while after that.  I'm a side sleeper and that just didn't work at all.

I’m sleeping way better now that I’m not taking the pain pills. They want me too but that crap made my mind race so fast I couldn’t even tell what the hell I was thinking. They also gave me the worst chronic hiccups I’ve ever had. My diaphragm was spazzing out so bad I couldn’t even talk. They wanted to try something else other than the Tramadol but I just went back to good old fashioned self medicating. It sucks that you have to lie on your back but prop me up a bit and a little deep breathing to get past the claustrophobia of being tied up in a sling and I do well enough. I’m a pretty hyper active person so I’m walking 3 miles a day, ab work, lunges all over the house. Stairs. Anything to avoid sitting around. That drives me nuts and helps tire me out.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

This guy was stopped at a red light, 5 or 6 cars back, then decided to randomly hit the gas and go while the light was still red.

And just found out the guy was uninsured. I’m out 500 bucks for my deductible. 

By the sounds of it maybe we need to open Complaint Thursday early

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Eh, it's not really complaint worthy for me.  I lucked out and there really isn't much damage.  It's one of those things that I'm only getting fixed if it's on the other guy's dollar.  The whole thing was a bit of an adventure though.  For a while I thought I was about to get someone deported, but as it turns out, that was just an attempt to weasel out of it.

15 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Not to mention the rise in premiums from having filed a claim...that one really got me when my truck was sideswiped a few years back.

28 minutes ago, WildCard said:

the scary part of this is the unknown. Corona Viruses have been around for a long time, but this strain is new according to the WHO. I have been reading conflicting reports of the severity of the sickness and I just don't know what to believe. One report stated that the mortality rate for under 40 years old is only slightly higher than the flu, 40-55 slightly elevated mortality rate and then it skyrockets over 55. As a 40 year old, how much do i have to be afraid? Some doctors say its like getting the flu on steroids with respiratory issues as well. I probably wont die if i get it, but I don't want it either, but it's spreading faster than SARS (WHO) i have a 2 year old and 6 year old, how much do i have to worry about them? i can't find a straight answer. this video pants a terrifying picture of what's happening in northern Italy. i work on a military base in SW Ohio and with 3 confirmed cases in Cleveland, the base released a statement saying that the threat is still currently low but to make preparations for base closure to non-essential personnel and to be prepared to telework if need be. Right now, 8 people in the building i work at are quarantined because they were on a work trip to Japan 10 days ago. 

2 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

the scary part of this is the unknown. Corona Viruses have been around for a long time, but this strain is new according to the WHO. I have been reading conflicting reports of the severity of the sickness and I just don't know what to believe. One report stated that the mortality rate for under 40 years old is only slightly higher than the flu, 40-55 slightly elevated mortality rate and then it skyrockets over 55. As a 40 year old, how much do i have to be afraid? Some doctors say its like getting the flu on steroids with respiratory issues as well. I probably wont die if i get it, but I don't want it either, but it's spreading faster than SARS (WHO) i have a 2 year old and 6 year old, how much do i have to worry about them? i can't find a straight answer. this video pants a terrifying picture of what's happening in northern Italy. i work on a military base in SW Ohio and with 3 confirmed cases in Cleveland, the base released a statement saying that the threat is still currently low but to make preparations for base closure to non-essential personnel and to be prepared to telework if need be. Right now, 8 people in the building i work at are quarantined because they were on a work trip to Japan 10 days ago. 

Apparently under 5 don't get it as badly, but you're right there are a lot of unknowns. And there are a lot of people whose immune systems aren't up to snuff. It seems fairly easy to transmit *and* there are literally zero people vaccinated for it. The normal flu doesn't gain a foothold in the US as many people who are exposed are vaccinated and don't get it nor do they pass it on. This would be an interesting study of the results of a 0% vaccination rate if it weren't so morbid. Essential[0] oils don't fail me now!

[0] Fun fact: "essential oil" doesn't mean "essential" as in "absolutely necessary; extremely important. (Oxford dictionary)". It seems to be a (IMHO) underhanded play on "e-scent-ial", meaning it has a smell. "fragrant" would be a better adjective.

• Like (+1) 1

In case I have to isolate myself or in case TSHTF and I want to socially distance myself (and because I've been vowing to make fewer trips to the store), I spent over $50 on food today at Aldi. I now have pounds of rice, dried beans, chick peas, canned soup, canned fruit, loaves of bread to freeze, peanut butter, jam, two dozen eggs, flour, sugar, yogurt, pasta, jarred sauce and a spaghetti squash.

Only one problem: there's nothing for dinner.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

In case I have to isolate myself or in case TSHTF and I want to socially distance myself (and because I've been vowing to make fewer trips to the store), I spent over $50 on food today at Aldi. I now have pounds of rice, dried beans, chick peas, canned soup, canned fruit, loaves of bread to freeze, peanut butter, jam, two dozen eggs, flour, sugar, yogurt, pasta, jarred sauce and a spaghetti squash.

You're gonna have to tap into your survival stock on the first day?!  You might want to binge on a few of those staged survival shows before you put yourself in lockdown.  

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I've gone low key prepper for the first time in my life.  In case we end up quarantened, or worse sick, and we can't get to a store for a few weeks we bought 4 weeks worth of dry goods.

There is a Newsweek article today written by an doctor in Italy, coroborating what was mentioned in that video.  Overloaded hospitals.  6% fatality rate.  Wow. Survivors dealing with significantly reduced lung capacity and recover time measuring months. 

One of the major risk factors being talked about is hypertension.  That is a problem for me.  I'm getting concerned.

My kids school just closed because of a teacher's potential exposure. One of the Hospitals I work at is just south of the quarantine zone... fun times... cough into your elbow... dont do the pick even if you need to break up with someone... Soap works best and 3 caps of bleach per gallon of water for surfaces and stay six feet away from coughers.... If if you have any immunity issues, cardiac or diabetes be careful...  what a pain.