The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

On 1/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks.  That is the cherry on top.

To be very clear the Qur'an does not expressly forbid pork, but it does clearly state that if something is forbidden for others in other books of revelation then it is forbidden for you.  Since pork is forbidden for Jewish people it is, therefore, forbidden for Muslims.  

Not to derail the thread ... 

What about shellfish?

On 1/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sent you a beer as a thank you.  FYI ... the drinking of alcohol is expressly forbidden in the Qur'an, as is anything else that clouds the mind.

So you're not allowed to watch the Sabres, either?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:57 AM, Eleven said:

What about shellfish?

So you're not allowed to watch the Sabres, either?

This has me thinking about it.

I looked it up (I'm not a hafiz - a person who has momorized the Qur'an) and I found that eating of the flesh of swine is forbidden in the Qur'an.

Now the shellfish are not forbidden in the Qur'an, but most Muslims do not eat them as they are forbidden for our Jewish brothers and sisters.  So, since it is forbidden for them it is forbidden for us.

The Sabres are very disappointing, but they do not cloud my mind.

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Now the shellfish are not forbidden in the Qur'an, but most Muslims do not eat them as they are forbidden for our Jewish brothers and sisters.  So, since it is forbidden for them it is forbidden for us.

Well that sux.  

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have tried a few of them in the course of my 56 year life.

Ah, the forbidden shrimp!

Well, the proscription against pork and bivalves always made sense to me when considering hygienic practices in ancient times.  Food that was potentially dangerous was deemed unclean and forbidden.  Sensible.  I never really got why the Jews banned lobster and crabs, though.  

First it was Gwyneth Paltrow. Now it's Erykah Badu. Why? Sweet Jesus why? When I walk into a room, cucumber melon is a nice scent. Sometimes pine is a little overpowering. Fresh linen is usually pretty good. I've never wanted a waft of ***** fumes to permeate the air for my guests and loved ones. 

I don't know. Maybe it's me. It's probably me. Everyone should have a ***** scented room in their house. 

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

First it was Gwyneth Paltrow. Now it's Erykah Badu. Why? Sweet Jesus why? When I walk into a room, cucumber melon is a nice scent. Sometimes pine is a little overpowering. Fresh linen is usually pretty good. I've never wanted a waft of ***** fumes to permeate the air for my guests and loved ones. 

I don't know. Maybe it's me. It's probably me. Everyone should have a ***** scented room in their house. 

I’m confused.  Link?

or maybe thats a bad thing to ask for.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Azz?

I’m not in.

12 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Really gotta get my GF to start selling pictures of her feet. Need to take advantage of these ***** weirdos out here

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Imma smut it up. Kurt has definitely been fascinated by the meat shower for years.

10 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'm reading Randall Munroe's "What If?" right now, and it's so much fun. It feels like something our own Randall would be good it.

Hockey content: there's no way that you could shoot a hockey puck fast enough to push the goalie into the net.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/39/

(It also suggests that if you started to slowly tilt a hockey rink, it could get up to 50 degrees before the players would all slide to one end. Clearly, experiments are needed to confirm this.)

Uh, I think we could assist with some anecdotal evidence of this phenomenon.

• Haha (+1) 1