The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

We considered you guys over in Ellenberg to be high society comparatively.?My great great grandfather crossed over the border and settled in Chateaugay. Both of my parents and one whole family of ancestory is buried in Burke. I hung out that way some as a youth. Mostly to pick up some people and cross the border and head to Huntingdon for beers and slaw dogs. Our Adirondack party spots were over in Skerry(south of North Bangor). Split Rock, the Hole in the Woods.(I once spent an entire month one summer living at the Hole in the Woods. Awesome experience!)..That’s Crazytown, USA over there....there are some seriously disturbed people lurking those parts. I knew one old dude that lived year around in an old school bus! You know cold the winters get up there!

Haha, we had a saying as teens.  If it’s from Malone........leave it alone.

So I took a gamble and ordered the Longgo 515142 hub assembly for $90 over the Moog 515142 hub assembly for $250. It has a one year warranty so I guess I shall see if my dollars were spent wisely. I wonder if the parts store would let me visually compare it to the Moog? Btw, the Moog is $300+ at the parts store.

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

For as much as I enjoyed Québéc city, I find Montreal to be one of the worst experiences I've had in quite some time! Sad as I was expecting better. 

What didn’t you like?

The places that Ogre is talking about are far from Montreal, but I’m still interested.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

What didn’t you like?

The places that Ogre is talking about are far from Montreal, but I’m still interested.

The people in general, big city feel but very "hipster/artsy" and overall just not impressive. I expected Montreal-Vieux (old Montreal) to be charming and nice, but really it wasn't that impressive. The city is dirty, full of strange crackheads. The smoked meat was decent and the light show at Notre Dame was worthwhile, but after spending 2.5 days here I would be fine with never coming back again. 

The outlying areas and Quebec city however, were fantastic. The old town Quebec was quaint and beautiful, the people generally friendlier, the ice skating and overall feel were amazing. 

Trois Riviers was great, just make sure you know some French as many there didn't speak English, it was fun for me as I know some and got to use a bit. 

Also disclaimer, I'm not really a city person in general, so I may have some slightly tainted views, but having traveled a ton and being in a lot of large cities I have to say Montreal disappointed. 

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Also disclaimer, I'm not really a city person in general, so I may have some slightly tainted views, but having traveled a ton and being in a lot of large cities I have to say Montreal disappointed. 

Interesting.  People generally like Montreal quite a bit.  It does have a lot of good cultural stuff.  (art, music, shows, sports, dining, nightlife).  I’ve never found it especially dirty or unwelcoming, apart from the language barrier, when I’ve been.  People often say that it has a very European feel to it.

But I’m also not a big city person, so while I’ve been several times because I’ve lived relatively close by, I don’t go often and won’t carry on about how amazing it is.

I’ve never been to Quebec City, but have also heard nice things about it.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Interesting.  People generally like Montreal quite a bit.  It does have a lot of good cultural stuff.  (art, music, shows, sports, dining, nightlife).  I’ve never found it especially dirty or unwelcoming, apart from the language barrier, when I’ve been.  People often say that it has a very European feel to it.

But I’m also not a big city person, so while I’ve been several times because I’ve lived relatively close by, I don’t go often and won’t carry on about how amazing it is.

I’ve never been to Quebec City, but have also heard nice things about it.

My girl with me agreed on it also, and she's usually one to find the nicer things when I'm not particularly impressed lol. 

Honestly I think we may have just had a bad experience, bad timing or whatever you may want to call it. 

I think if I was 24 again I'd enjoy Montreal ??

Tried an app that had a trial thing for two weeks. It demands you use your credit card in order to see what their program is. Fine, sure, no big deal. Two weeks later I'm charged $140 on an auto-renewal. What in the *****? I reached out and got a refund, but man what an incredibly underhanded and just terrible way to do business.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Tried an app that had a trial thing for two weeks. It demands you use your credit card in order to see what their program is. Fine, sure, no big deal. Two weeks later I'm charged $140 on an auto-renewal. What in the *****? I reached out and got a refund, but man what an incredibly underhanded and just terrible way to do business.

This is perhaps the most common way trials work these days.  This is also why subscription buying is the trend.

People buy everything via credit card and don't bother to look in detail at the transactions. So a little $10 here, $140 there and people miss it and forget about it. 

Everyone thinks they need Netflix, but if they were to truly look at their viewing habits they might be surprised how little they watch at times.  Some people watch a ton of it though.. but those who don't end up paying a lot of money for only a few hours of entertainment.

If they ask for a credit card number and you give it to them, the first thing to do is find where the autorenewal is and shut it off.

For SiriusXM they offer $6/month packages for radio, then bump them up to $15/month at the end of the trial period.  The only way to turn off the renewal is to call them; you can't do it online.  What I typically do is call them to cancel and when they ask why I say because it's too expensive to then the offer me a "one-time" renewal of their trial offer and they always say, "This is the last time."  Then they offer it again next time.  If the don't offer it I cancel and I always get a letter in the mail in a few weeks offering the discounted trial subscription.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If they ask for a credit card number and you give it to them, the first thing to do is find where the autorenewal is and shut it off.

For SiriusXM they offer $6/month packages for radio, then bump them up to $15/month at the end of the trial period.  The only way to turn off the renewal is to call them; you can't do it online.  What I typically do is call them to cancel and when they ask why I say because it's too expensive to then the offer me a "one-time" renewal of their trial offer and they always say, "This is the last time."  Then they offer it again next time.  If the don't offer it I cancel and I always get a letter in the mail in a few weeks offering the discounted trial subscription.

We always pay the full year at renewal and then call the day before the subscription runs out, telling them if they'll renew us at the current rate ($102/yr w/ tax and subscription fees included) we'll renew, otherwise "cancel."

Used to be a royal pain in the butt, but their customer service people have improved and we can now get through the whole process in under 10 minutes.

DirecTV on the other hand ...

I firmly believe any man that is a coworkers "work husband" is really just playing the long game for sex. 

I don't think women view these relationships the same way.  They just have a buddy of the opposite sex whom they work with.

BTW, my ex-wife left me for (and is still with) her former "work husband" completely debunking my own theory.  

Just now, inkman said:

I firmly believe any man that is a coworkers "work husband" is really just playing the long game for sex. 

I don't think women view these relationships the same way.  They just have a buddy of the opposite sex whom they work with.

BTW, my ex-wife left me for (and is still with) her former "work husband" completely debunking my own theory.  

I was about to argue with you. Now I'm not going to.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, Crosschecking said:

Not to mention that it's made of pork products, which, if my memory serves me correctly, is forbidden for consumption in Islam.

Thanks.  That is the cherry on top.

To be very clear the Qur'an does not expressly forbid pork, but it does clearly state that if something is forbidden for others in other books of revelation then it is forbidden for you.  Since pork is forbidden for Jewish people it is, therefore, forbidden for Muslims.  

Not to derail the thread ... 

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

To be very clear the Qur'an does not expressly forbid pork, but it does clearly state that if something is forbidden for others in other books of revelation then it is forbidden for you.  Since pork is forbidden for Jewish people it is, therefore, forbidden for Muslims.  

This is a thread for random things.  Its the one thread that can’t be derailed.  

That is interesting about the Muslim faith and pork.  I didn’t know that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

This is a thread for random things.  Its the one thread that can’t be derailed.  

That is interesting about the Muslim faith and pork.  I didn’t know that.

Sent you a beer as a thank you.  FYI ... the drinking of alcohol is expressly forbidden in the Qur'an, as is anything else that clouds the mind.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks for informing me.

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing I can surely say, I've been to countless places and dabbled a bit into all of the religions that I've come across and at the end of the day, I still have no F'n clue what happens at the end of life. 

All of the idiosyncrasies in religion and the customs, they're so unique and some quite frankly don't make sense. 

I think we, as humans, get caught up in the rules too much of the religious texts and forget about the relationship one should have with that religion or religious being that is worshipped. 

Although Buddhism has really tugged at me since I've experienced it. 

• Like (+1) 1