The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

I really dislike this time of year.  Drive in to work in the dark, and leave work in the dark.  If the weather is clear I get to see the sky start to lighten up at the horizon.

Ugh

You know what I hate about this time of year?  Having to change the time on those crappy light timers.  You know, where you raise and lower all the little tabs so that you can have our light turn on/off somewhat close to the actual time you're aiming for.  I have one behind a giant piece of furniture that I have to move each time.  Then as I reach to plug it back in, I inevitably push in one of the tabs and then have to start all over again.

I finally caved the other day and bought a smart plug to replace that time.  I think those are a completely unnecessary piece of technology aimed at lazy people, but I'm so sick of moving that furniture, potentially scratching the wood floor and knocking every picture frame down to the ground.  From now on, I'm setting that timer on my phone.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

You know what I hate about this time of year?  Having to change the time on those crappy light timers.  You know, where you raise and lower all the little tabs so that you can have our light turn on/off somewhat close to the actual time you're aiming for.  I have one behind a giant piece of furniture that I have to move each time.  Then as I reach to plug it back in, I inevitably push in one of the tabs and then have to start all over again.

I finally caved the other day and bought a smart plug to replace that time.  I think those are a completely unnecessary piece of technology aimed at lazy people, but I'm so sick of moving that furniture, potentially scratching the wood floor and knocking every picture frame down to the ground.  From now on, I'm setting that timer on my phone.

Why did you need to change to time? Isn't the sun going down at the same time according to the timer?

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why did you need to change to time? Isn't the sun going down at the same time according to the timer?

Yes, but the days themselves are getting shorter.  Over the course of November the sunset pushes back 20 minutes.  It's an hour+ earlier than what I would have had it set for in the summer.  At some point I need it to turn on earlier than before.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, ubkev said:

So I've got about 40 days off coming to me over the next 370 days. Any suggestions on vacation spots?

Vancouver, Ireland, Montreal, Philly, White Mountains in New Hampshire

Does anyone know if/how to get the actual ticket stub for tickets purchased online? I like to keep them, but I don't want the giant piece of paper that comes with online tickets now, I want the actual stub

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Vancouver, Ireland, Montreal, Philly, White Mountains in New Hampshire

I'd love to go to Vancouver! Not sure Canada will let me in. I'll know soon enough. I'm planning a trip for 2022 when my son is 18. Heading to Banff/Lake Louise/Kicking Horse. 

I actually did ski the whites this past April. Spent a few days and nights directly in the White Mountain National Forest. It was pretty sweet, but high avalanche danger kinda screwed up my purpose for being there. I'll go back soon. 

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

Where’s the skating/hockey advice thread?

Bumped it for you.

42 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I'd love to go to Vancouver! Not sure Canada will let me in. I'll know soon enough. I'm planning a trip for 2022 when my son is 18. Heading to Banff/Lake Louise/Kicking Horse. 

I actually did ski the whites this past April. Spent a few days and nights directly in the White Mountain National Forest. It was pretty sweet, but high avalanche danger kinda screwed up my purpose for being there. I'll go back soon. 

Bumped it for you.

Thanks.

I searched "advice" and "skating" in titles only and came up with nothing.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Meeting up with brother and his family this xmas at Lake Placid, plan on skating on Olympic Oval and White Face Mountain.... One of these day want to get out to Vancouver, maybe on trip to AK

I've been thinking about Whiteface this year. Haven't been in over a decade. If our trips intersect I'll buy ya a beer. I'd probably be the week after Christmas though.

• Like (+1) 1

Gonna stay til Monday renting a house

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

I've been thinking about Whiteface this year. Haven't been in over a decade. If our trips intersect I'll buy ya a beer. I'd probably be the week after Christmas though.

Also checking out xmas parade.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I would bet that more Halloween candy gets eaten by adults, either eating out of their own bowl or eating other’s un-trick-or-treated candy that gets brought into work the next day, than by actual trick-or-treaters.

Someone dumped a giant bag of sour patch kids in our office kitchen today.  I'm in heaven.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Whelp, we no longer have rabbits in our yard. 

I was woken up this morning by my wife bursting into the bedroom in tears. Evidently she was outside with the dogs, enjoying her coffee when they scared up the last rabbit from a family they have murdered out of his rabbit hole. They then proceeded to chase it down and kill it. She managed to get one of them in the house, but she couldn't get the other one. So I was woken up to finish the task. I walk outside to find a very proud dog, rabbit in mouth, prancing, back and forth across the yard. He came over to me and said "look dad, we took care of that rabbit problem for you!" And he laid the rabbit down in front of me. Great! So I take care of that, then go pick up the tufts of fur that are scattered all over the yard. The place looks like a crime scene. There's one slipper in the middle of the yard, one dogs collar that was accidentally torn off, my wife's phone, then just bloody tufts of fur. It's a damn mess.  So good morning to you all! The only positive I can come up with is at least I didn't have to euthanize this one!

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

I was woken up this morning by my wife bursting into the bedroom in tears. Evidently she was outside with the dogs, enjoying her coffee when they scared up the last rabbit from a family they have murdered out of his rabbit hole. They then proceeded to chase it down and kill it. She managed to get one of them in the house, but she couldn't get the other one. So I was woken up to finish the task. I walk outside to find a very proud dog, rabbit in mouth, prancing, back and forth across the yard. He came over to me and said "look dad, we took care of that rabbit problem for you!" And he laid the rabbit down in front of me. Great! So I take care of that, then go pick up the tufts of fur that are scattered all over the yard. The place looks like a crime scene. There's one slipper in the middle of the yard, one dogs collar that was accidentally torn off, my wife's phone, then just bloody tufts of fur. It's a damn mess.  So good morning to you all! The only positive I can come up with is at least I didn't have to euthanize this one!

This post begged this vid 

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

In his prime, our dog was a first class squirrel killer.  He learned to lay quietly on the deck steps until a foraging squirrel got too close.  The chase was usually short, and the result cruel to watch.  He played with them after he caught them.  There was no point in trying to break it up because he would prance around the yard just out of reach if we tried.

As badly as I felt for the squirrel, I'd love another day of cleaning up the aftermath......

haaahahahaha most of my department has quit and i'm somehow going to learn a whole new career in the next two weeks before the latest person's last day in addition to all the stuff I already do (which is like 3 people's jobs in its own right)

I better get an effin' raise 

7 minutes ago, josie said:

haaahahahaha most of my department has quit and i'm somehow going to learn a whole new career in the next two weeks before the latest person's last day in addition to all the stuff I already do (which is like 3 people's jobs in its own right)

At the very least you can update your resume in real time lol

22 minutes ago, josie said:

I had a friend that ended up the Director of Communications for the Rochester Arts Council that way... Good luck!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, josie said:

When you are the last one left... now is the time to ask. Of course.. you should also be prepared to leave.