The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Just in case you're not joking with this comment, I'll answer.  They're both on light switches so we never actually use the chains.  This one's got wiring issue written all over it... or four bulbs simultaneously blew out.  Hey, it could happen.

The wall switch could have failed.  Ive had it happen....

So.. this is my fabulously plump little darling. Her name is Little Bear. She’s been through hell and back. We found her in bad shape in ‘16. Took her to a vet and found out she was chipped. Called the owner and she said I don’t want it. Euthanize it. No got dang way. Don’t know if it’s ethical or not but the vet denied the owners request(I’m guessing she got threatened with animal cruelty) and we had the surgery and adopted the little beast. She can be a love ball but she has a definite mean streak. She’s earned it....

2C7A5369-64BB-4FE9-ACE8-73910EA36CD6.jpeg

71657302-01D0-4C5C-AEA9-B7E8C5F4395E.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, shrader said:

That one is a panel with three different switches.  So could it just be one of the three that fails?  The others are definitely still working.

yeah, assuming you're talking something like this (ignore the symbols on the plate):
these-light-switch-labels-help-identify-

All those switches are seperate. If you're handy you should easily be able to replace it yourself, just shut off the power first! Switches are super cheap, like 4 bucks a pop for a standard 120v switch for lighting. There are a millions videos out there on how to do it.

25 minutes ago, sabills said:

yeah, assuming you're talking something like this (ignore the symbols on the plate):
these-light-switch-labels-help-identify-

All those switches are seperate. If you're handy you should easily be able to replace it yourself, just shut off the power first! Switches are super cheap, like 4 bucks a pop for a standard 120v switch for lighting. There are a millions videos out there on how to do it.

That whole lighting thing wound up being an odd process.  I took the light kit off the fan first and tried it on another fan.  It worked, so the problem wasn't there.  Then I took off the switch panel to take a look and nothing looked wrong there either.  At that point, I called it a day because I didn't have enough light left to actually get into any of the wiring.  I put everything back together and then the light was working normally again.  I'm hoping it was just a loose connection on the light kit, because otherwise I don't have the slightest clue what it was.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

That whole lighting thing wound up being an odd process.  I took the light kit off the fan first and tried it on another fan.  It worked, so the problem wasn't there.  Then I took off the switch panel to take a look and nothing looked wrong there either.  At that point, I called it a day because I didn't have enough light left to actually get into any of the wiring.  I put everything back together and then the light was working normally again.  I'm hoping it was just a loose connection on the light kit, because otherwise I don't have the slightest clue what it was.

hahaha that sucks. Electrical is super fun like that.

Last year some time I helped my wife's cousin by installing an outlet below their counter for a dishwasher. Ended up being pretty easy because there was an outlet directly above where I needed the new one, so I just dropped a line from there.

A few weeks later she calls me. "Hey, my dishwasher only works when I plug in my toaster", which has to be one of the most nonsensical sentences I've ever heard. I told her I had one theory and if I was wrong I had absolutely no idea what the issue was. Luckily I was right: I hadn't tightened the connect to the outlet above well enough, so the wired slipped off a bit. When you plugged something in it moved the outlet just enough to make the connection. I opened it up, tightened the wiring, and it was good to go. But for a minute there my brain was broken when she first told me the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sabills said:

A few weeks later she calls me. "Hey, my dishwasher only works when I plug in my toaster", which has to be one of the most nonsensical sentences I've ever heard. I told her I had one theory and if I was wrong I had absolutely no idea what the issue was. Luckily I was right: I hadn't tightened the connect to the outlet above well enough, so the wired slipped off a bit. When you plugged something in it moved the outlet just enough to make the connection. I opened it up, tightened the wiring, and it was good to go. But for a minute there my brain was broken when she first told me the problem.

That's fantastic.

A friend had an S15 pickup (aka Chevy S10 in GMC clothing). It had weird electrical issues, like the dash lights didn't work and radio cut in and out. The best was the interior light used to come on when you blew the horn.

11 hours ago, MattPie said:

That's fantastic.

A friend had an S15 pickup (aka Chevy S10 in GMC clothing). It had weird electrical issues, like the dash lights didn't work and radio cut in and out. The best was the interior light used to come on when you blew the horn.

Car electrical stuff is another whole level. Those things are terrifying, lol

11 hours ago, MattPie said:

That's fantastic.

15 minutes ago, sabills said:

***** tell me about it *resists ranting*

2 hours ago, sabills said:

Even worse with newer cars.  There are now two power buses on every car (not counting the high voltage ignition circuit):  12 VDC and 5 VDC.  It used to be just 12 volts, but all the electronics and lots of the lighting now run on 5 volts.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Even worse with newer cars.  There are now two power buses on every car (not counting the high voltage ignition circuit):  12 VDC and 5 VDC.  It used to be just 12 volts, but all the electronics and lots of the lighting now run on 5 volts.

And automakers still haven't figured out a good way to use the communication buses to diagnose problems with the electronics. Things really need to take another step. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Friday thread?

That sucks man, that is way too young to go. Sorry to hear that 

Done it 4 out of the last 5 years.

Yeah, it sucks. A lot.

Edited by ubkev
  • Sad 1

Q:  What do you call a city with shops that advertise brick oven pizza and house-made pastries, but lack an oven; which stinks to high Hell, and which is full of people who insist it's the best place on Earth?

A:  New York.

I've been here for six hours and can't wait to get back.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Q:  What do you call a city with shops that advertise brick oven pizza and house-made pastries, but lack an oven; which stinks to high Hell, and which is full of people who insist it's the best place on Earth?

A:  New York.

I've been here for six hours and can't wait to get back.

You must be in Manhattan. Manhattan is not NY anymore.