The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

So.. I'm a weather and tornado nerd and the predictions for today are the scariest I have ever seen. You don't often see High Risk on the severe outlook maps, let alone that large an area and for as long lasting as they're saying. I'm seeing storm chasers I respect call for Oklahoma to suspend turnpike tolls today in case people get trapped (these things often hit around rush hour).

Even the maps for the El Reno and massive Moore tornadoes didn't look like this. So if we have any sabrespacers or their friends/fam in those areas... stay safe, folks, I'm thinking about you today. 

D7BJlW8UIAAeZ2w.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

So.. I'm a weather and tornado nerd and the predictions for today are the scariest I have ever seen. You don't often see High Risk on the severe outlook maps, let alone that large an area and for as long lasting as they're saying. I'm seeing storm chasers I respect call for Oklahoma to suspend turnpike tolls today in case people get trapped (these things often hit around rush hour).

Even the maps for the El Reno and massive Moore tornadoes didn't look like this. So if we have any sabrespacers or their friends/fam in those areas... stay safe, folks, I'm thinking about you today. 

D7BJlW8UIAAeZ2w.jpg

Fort Worth = slight risk.  I kind of expect we will get the kind of weather we've been getting the last few weeks on and off-  thunderstorms with heavy rain, maybe a little hail.  I'm getting my roof replaced shortly.  I hope we don't get hail after that.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Fort Worth = slight risk.  I kind of expect we will get the kind of weather we've been getting the last few weeks on and off-  thunderstorms with heavy rain, maybe a little hail.  I'm getting my roof replaced shortly.  I hope we don't get hail after that.

Hope so. Been a rough few days for tornado alley people, but you guys are used to it. 

They're cancelling schools/activities left and right in the OKC area. Amazing. I guess after the Moore twister took out some schools they're taking that precaution. I feel for anyone flying through there as well- the turbulence reports are wicked. The flight lines are gapping all over the place as a result. Fascinating to watch- glad I'm not a part of it. 

1 hour ago, josie said:

D7BJlW8UIAAeZ2w.jpg

Just got off the phone with a co-worker who is in Tulsa.  They're a threat level 6, OKC is level 9.  He said most schools in the state are canceled today.  No telling what will happen.. that's the insanity of it all.  

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Just got off the phone with a co-worker who is in Tulsa.  They're a threat level 6, OKC is level 9.  He said most schools in the state are canceled today.  No telling what will happen.. that's the insanity of it all.  

Yeah. It's so scary. OKC wasn't even part of the high risk area 15 hours ago. When you see it expand into that area, that's where the really big scary stuff happens. 

They just issued the first tornado watches for the panhandle... and they're all accompanied by PDS- Particularly Dangerous Situation.. you just don't see that said unless they're serious.

3pm is gonna be the big spinup start time I think. Usually the hottest part of the day. Then it'll get a lot worse early evening. 

I'm live streaming WKTV news 9- OKC- and there's a lady asking the storm chasers if she's safe since she's in a motel with no storm shelter... "where we are now between 3 pm and later tonight is a prime spot for something to happen, please stay tuned and if you can you may want to get out of the area"...

The only saving grace is the temps are relatively low throughout the area- can help keep the violence down. I hope. 

Edited by josie

Just wanted to thank everyone here for providing great conversation, laughs and input on the Sabres.  You all are the best.  I haven't felt well for a couple of months now with some GI issues and honestly I kind of have a bad feeling about it.  So keep on keeping on and go Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 4

21 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Nothing at all.  We got some light rain this morning.  That was it.

Just started playing around with SketchUp which is a 3D modelling program. Planning on using it for my woodworking projects. Dang its fun to mess around with. And should be especially handy considering my complete in ability to draw in 3D.

First attempt. Making some foot rests for a PT trike. The kid isn't ready to use their legs to pedal, so they need a place for their feet to sit while they do the arm portion.

Trike is something like this (slightly different model, my sister is the PT and sent me pictures):
image.png.d99e93bba4ec4c9fcbf1c858f398b8de.png

And here's the plan I came up with in SketchUp:
image.thumb.png.b2a20327cf4cda275635a4a0d145137b.png

Not perfect. Lots of weird seams that I just worked around to draw this up. I'll have to watch some instructional videos when I get a chance.

I’ve owned a lot of bikes but way back when I was 20 and riding some serious miles I always wanted this bike. 1993 Yamaha Virago 1100 XV Classic Special. Three year ago I spotted this one on Craigslist. It had 9,000 miles. I stole it for $1300. My favorite ride by far. This bike once held the distinction of highest power to weight ratio. You’re hitting that throttle? Better hold the ***** on. Can’t beat a shaft drive. Giggidy.

AEC23970-4343-431B-8099-72EE62AEA360.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
Had forgotten how old I was then...
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I only ever had two bikes and they were both crap but I liked them. That ratty CB750 screamed with the velocity stacks when you'd open it up. 

FB_IMG_1558663195887.thumb.jpg.3152bb8dcf62ec02c9dbcb29cfe6d542.jpgFB_IMG_1558663367049.thumb.jpg.2e16ef8bf78fc65e925da4dda1a75846.jpg

Look at the power house driving the CB. Just like my old Virago. Power first. Don’t get me wrong. I like the newer stuff. But that time when going fast was the most important thing? Priceless.

6 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Dude that Bobber looks sweet. I’ve decided that I’m getting a bobber next bike. The Indian scout model looks nice and my grandpa rode an old Indian with a suicide shift.

My Gramps also rode Indians and the current revivals are great. If I ever got back into riding I'd heavily consider one.

That CB750 was largely the handiwork of the guy I bought it from (for about $800). He swapped a bunch of Buell parts onto it and it was just about perfect. I liked the speedo only look, who needs a tach. 

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Look at the power house driving the CB. Just like my old Virago. Power first. Don’t get me wrong. I like the newer stuff. But that time when going fast was the most important thing? Priceless.

Arguably one of the most important bikes of the 70s and it was all because of that engine. 

Edited by darksabre

Just now, darksabre said:

My Gramps also rode Indians and the current revivals are great. If I ever got back into riding I'd heavily consider one.

That CB750 was largely the handiwork of the guy I bought it from (for about $800). He swapped a bunch of Buell parts onto it and it was just about perfect. I liked the no speedo only look, who needs a tach. 

Stoned people that forgot how many times they’ve shifted.?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That CB750 was largely the handiwork of the guy I bought it from (for about $800). He swapped a bunch of Buell parts onto it and it was just about perfect. I liked the speedo only look, who needs a tach. 

Arguably one of the most important bikes of the 70s and it was all because of that engine. 

Absolutely. Power vs weight. Especially in those years when Harley was a less reliable ride. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

CB750 was named bike of the century, no arguing about it. We'd be nowhere without that Honda. I'm interested in the CL, dark, love scramblers.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle-century-1969-honda-cb750/

I bought that scrambler for $400 off of a guy on Aero Dr. We loaded it into the back of my brother's minivan so I could take it back to Rochester.

I then proceeded to take the entire bike apart, repaint the frame, redo the wiring harness, and ride it for a summer until the cam chain let go and I gave up on it. Sold it to a roommate who eventually took it all the way to California and sold it to a guy there.

Cool little bike, but way too small for a guy my size haha

That's awes

44 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I bought that scrambler for $400 off of a guy on Aero Dr. We loaded it into the back of my brother's minivan so I could take it back to Rochester.

I then proceeded to take the entire bike apart, repaint the frame, redo the wiring harness, and ride it for a summer until the cam chain let go and I gave up on it. Sold it to a roommate who eventually took it all the way to California and sold it to a guy there.

Cool little bike, but way too small for a guy my size haha

That's really cool. A guy around here has a CL100; talk about a small bike.

This should be a fun one to figure out later today.  The ceiling fan in my bedroom has 4 of those candle light bulbs on it.  All 4 went out this morning.  The fan still works though.  I hope it's something simple and I don't have to go too crazy messing with wires.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

This should be a fun one to figure out later today.  The ceiling fan in my bedroom has 4 of those candle light bulbs on it.  All 4 went out this morning.  The fan still works though.  I hope it's something simple and I don't have to go too crazy messing with wires.

Did you try pulling the other chain?

• Haha (+1) 2

This is my summer ride, a Peterbilt 1401, they only made 82 of them, I bough from a retired army ranger that jacked his knees up so back, he couldn't ride anymore. 

The frame is similar to a Vstar 1300 but the engine/drivetrain is all Peterbilt parts, the pipes are loud and the bike has some serious torque. I keep the naked look and just use a 3/4 helmet on rides. 

20150602_173428.jpg

20150603_075547.jpg

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Did you try pulling the other chain?

Just in case you're not joking with this comment, I'll answer.  They're both on light switches so we never actually use the chains.  This one's got wiring issue written all over it... or four bulbs simultaneously blew out.  Hey, it could happen.