The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

5 hours ago, Weave said:

18,000 posts.  I guess it is time to go outside.

+1 = 18,001 ... did you make it outside yet?

+++++

My apologies for not recognizing that my Jewish Brothers and Sisters are observing Passover this week.  I'm not 100% sure that it's appropriate, but mazel tov.

I’m not sure if this makes me an ***** or not....

I gave a tall boy of Labatt Ice to the dude with the sign on the corner again. Different guy/same corner. The previous dude was happy and giggled. This new guy readily took it but was quick to tell me that he only drinks sometimes and that most people think he’s out there because he’s an alcoholic. I assume if he didn’t want to drink it then it was at least a commodity to him. Very interesting.

I like these interactions. I’ll give almost every time but I always make them promise they won’t use it for drugs. They always swear they won’t. I always hope that the act of making a promise to someone that’s being sincere will give them an ounce more of courage to kick. That’s where the experiment ends though. I’m assuming I’ve had little impact so I’m a regular donator to the Open Door Mission. Our Union Hall has a collection box to help these poor bastards back onto their feet.

I’ve also realized that there are bad people preying on developmentally challenged people. They sit in a wheelchair like they’re crippled but stand up when no one is looking to count the huge wad of money they’ve amassed. The rest are running the money back to him. I’m close with the RPD when I’m working in certain neighborhoods. St. Paul/Clinton/Joseph’s...couple blocks from Ave D...they know but what can you do with people that insist they’re not being abused? 

Anyways. I’m not disparaging the people that live in that area. I’d like to say that they treated us with respect but.....they went way beyond that. They decorated our job site fencing and left welcome mats. Coming down to thank us. A lot of people broke in and stole but the good peeps there wanted to make it right.

Then.

The Amerks farted on them.

Thanks for hangin in there.

Edited by Ogre
Fixed the drunk finger typos.

I did have one unsettling encounter on Joseph St under the railroad bridge. This little scrawny dude with a bad limp came up all wound up about something I didn’t even understand. Big baggy pants and he showed me the handle of a gun he had there. I just turned and walked as calmly as I could into the fencing and behind the lead abatement trailer. I got low and could see his feet walking away...Crumbers everywhere...Up and down that damn sidewalk crumbing like a mofo!

Edited by Ogre
Again....drunk fingers

21 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@Ogre, not really sure what you have going on there.

Point #2 ... has the Friday Thread been deleted?  I can't find it anywhere.

I spent over a year doing bridge repairs in the drug gateway of Rochester. The safety guy did a sweep for used needles inside our fenced in area every morning. I became good friends with the cops in that neighborhood and learned a lot about the predatory pan handlers that are those cops biggest scourge.

Crumbing is when someone walks up and down the sidewalk looking for used needles and empty baggies that may have a few crumbs of heroin left in them. 

50 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I spent over a year doing bridge repairs in the drug gateway of Rochester. The safety guy did a sweep for used needles inside our fenced in area every morning. I became good friends with the cops in that neighborhood and learned a lot about the predatory pan handlers that are those cops biggest scourge.

Crumbing is when someone walks up and down the sidewalk looking for used needles and empty baggies that may have a few crumbs of heroin left in them. 

Addiction is terrible.  Man, that's horrible.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Addiction is terrible.  Man, that's horrible.

Yep. On St. Paul just before the bridge on the right is the old high falls overlook that has been over run with a shanty made of random junk where the heroin addicts live. They’ve destroyed the park with garbage and human waste so I ask the cops why don’t they arrest them. The reply was “they are the bad ones. By the time they end up there they’ll be dead from OD in a couple weeks...”.  They don’t even bother with them until they’re a dead body. How ***** up is that?

• Sad 1

How many of you Rochesterians knew that this was going on walking distance from the train station and the Genesee Brewhouse?

High Falls is a treasure that should be celebrated. Driving Park should be celebrated. The most beautiful parts of Rochester are suffering from the disease of poverty. It’s a shame that our society rejects the reforms to health care and mental illness. The rich keep gittin it...and the poor keep trying..and society suffers while all the while.

I have so many stories that you would grow numb reading them.

Edited by Ogre
A random missing k...drunk fingers learn at the same pace...
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ogre said:

Yep. On St. Paul just before the bridge on the right is the old high falls overlook that has been over run with a shanty made of random junk where the heroin addicts live. They’ve destroyed the park with garbage and human waste so I ask the cops why don’t they arrest them. The reply was “they are the bad ones. By the time they end up there they’ll be dead from OD in a couple weeks...”.  They don’t even bother with them until they’re a dead body. How ***** up is that?

Shameful.  Not just the police, but all of us should be ashamed.  None of God's creation deserves that kind of mistreatment.  And yet it happens time and again.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, Ogre said:

How many of you Rochesterians knew that this was going on walking distance from the train station and the Genesee Brewhouse?

High Falls is a treasure that should be celebrated. Driving Park should be celebrated. The most beautiful parts of Rochester are suffering from the disease of poverty. It’s a shame that our society rejects the reforms to health care and mental illness. The rich keep gittin it...and the poor keep trying..and society suffers while all the while.

I have so many stories that you would grow numb reading them.

C2A62584-062B-44CD-A1C5-8F1E4C642B15.jpeg

7AD446C3-5093-4110-9E31-F32EDA792068.jpeg

462463D3-8079-4A67-A0D4-A1EDED31F10B.jpeg

4165BA0E-1752-4DAC-A18E-7EC57079A5FE.png

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, shrader said:

Boston is going to win both the Cup and the bouncyball championship, aren't they?  The sports gods have their giant middle finger to all of humanity armed and ready.

Just another reason why I will never understand the people on here who were actually rooting for the Bruins to beat Toronto. I realize I don't live in the area or deal with many Toronto fans on a regular basis, but there's no way even 5,000 Toronto fans can be as annoying as 100 Boston fans. That's why I root for Boston to lose at everything by default, except dying in fires. I hope they win at dying in fires.

40 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Just another reason why I will never understand the people on here who were actually rooting for the Bruins to beat Toronto. I realize I don't live in the area or deal with many Toronto fans on a regular basis, but there's no way even 5,000 Toronto fans can be as annoying as 100 Boston fans. That's why I root for Boston to lose at everything by default, except dying in fires. I hope they win at dying in fires.

Sometimes a playoff series calls for a scoreboard collapse.

• Like (+1) 1

This crane collapse in Seattle has me on edge. I’ve been present for four crane disasters in which no one died. Two of my Union brothers perished in this one. I know where they would be in that dismantling process. The national news is cutting out the part where at least one of them flies out. 

These machines are far more dangerous than the general public realizes. I lurked on the site  for quite a long while before I ever posted anything. It was in the Thursday complaint thread shortly after the crane we had at College Town at the U of R collapsed. The lufting jib ripped off the main boom with a 66,000 lb precast double tee on the hook. 

They’d been flying those things right over our heads for a month. Thank God no one was killed. 

Edited by Ogre
I won’t blame autocorrect too much this time

16 hours ago, Ogre said:

This crane collapse in Seattle has me on edge. I’ve been present for four crane disasters in which no one died. Two of my Union brothers perished in this one. I know where they would be in that dismantling process. The national news is cutting out the part where at least one of them flies out. 

These machines are far more dangerous than the general public realizes. I lurked on the site  for quite a long while before I ever posted anything. It was in the Thursday complaint thread shortly after the crane we had at College Town at the U of R collapsed. The lufting jib ripped off the main boom with a 66,000 lb precast double tee on the hook. 

They’d been flying those things right over our heads for a month. Thank God no one was killed. 

By "flies out" are you saying that someone jumped/fell out of that crane while it was going down?  I'm trying to interpret that one and it's the only thing I can think of.

The thing with those cranes that always amazes me is when any hurricane is rolling through, they basically just set those things free, let them swing, and hope for the best.  I know next to nothing about them, but any time I see them, I don't want to be anywhere near them.

8 hours ago, shrader said:

By "flies out" are you saying that someone jumped/fell out of that crane while it was going down?  I'm trying to interpret that one and it's the only thing I can think of.

The thing with those cranes that always amazes me is when any hurricane is rolling through, they basically just set those things free, let them swing, and hope for the best.  I know next to nothing about them, but any time I see them, I don't want to be anywhere near them.

The first thing  I noticed was the lack of counterweights in the wreckage. I assume that the other crane that is shown in some photos had already removed them. Those two Ironworkers where probably in the boom waiting for the crane to swing back for the next pick. 

When the tower topples and impacts the roofline, the operators cabin separates from the tower at the slewing ring. The boom sections separate and hit the street. They cut a segment that originally showed a man sized object flung toward the street as the sections separate. They would have been near the operator’s cabin for the next move. The They would have been heading their ***** down that ladder if they had a sense of what was to happen....and they may have as it the wind picked up, especially without the counterweights in place.

Enough time to realize what the results would be....awful.

On the first day of every month, the radio station I listen to in the morning has it's signal scrambled with another one from somewhere out in Tennessee.  I'd love to know why this happens.  Every other day it's perfectly clear,  but today it's super staticy and instead I get bursts of pop music from that other station.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

On the first day of every month, the radio station I listen to in the morning has it's signal scrambled with another one from somewhere out in Tennessee.  I'd love to know why this happens.  Every other day it's perfectly clear,  but today it's super staticy and instead I get bursts of pop music from that other station.

That is a really cool glitch. If it were Internet-related, I'd say the people over at the Reply All podcast might even take it up for their "Super Tech Support" segments (where they dive deep into some interesting issue like this), but I'm not sure they'd do radio stuff.

WTF is the Thursday thread not open?

Have a dog esentially in hospice because we can't stop his lipoma from bleeding.  Of course, after a full month of dealing with/preparing for this, our rugs look like squirrels performed a real life version of "the Wire" all over our upstairs. Looks like at least 40 squirrels bought it.

• Sad 1