The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

12 minutes ago, jsb said:

image.thumb.png.ad6e88b88a3e9dfd5a8a13e0e37ec064.png

It's definetely an acquired taste, not for everyone.

"Considered one of the worst albums of all time*..."  *by the author of this piece.

What absolute flaming garbage.  That's his (incredibly incorrect) opinion, fine.  Own it.  

@New Scotland (NS) and I are going to die on this hill together, dammit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

image.thumb.png.ad6e88b88a3e9dfd5a8a13e0e37ec064.png

It's definetely an acquired taste, not for everyone.

You and what you are saying I do not have a problem with.  At first even I was not impressed with it and I am the biggest Clash guy there is ... sorry @Sabel79, but you are an extremely close 1A+++++, but I AM numero uno.

Many gave up on Sandinista and did not give it a real chance.  What helped me was listening to Mick and Joe (RIP) talk about it.

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

"Considered one of the worst albums of all time*..."  *by the author of this piece.

What absolute flaming garbage.  That's his (incredibly incorrect) opinion, fine.  Own it.  

@New Scotland (NS) and I are going to die on this hill together, dammit.  

Arm in arm as the arrows rain down on us on that hill, my friend.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It took me 28 hours to get home from Dehli, such a damn mess... Also the Indian patrons on the flight were absolutley rude and awful people, and Delhi is a straight up crap hole, at least other parts of India are redeeming

Delhi... my least favorite place to have visited.  I'm supposed to go again in September, but trying to pawn it off on a co-worker.  

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

So some ***** decided to torch five garages in my neighborhood last night, including that of my backyard neighbors (who are on vacation).  Wonderful.

And people wonder why we're quickly growing into a surveillance society... (yes, still growing... it can get worse).

Ridiculous.  But, last year we had a a few months of significant car thefts and other criminal mischief in the area (very rare).  During that I installed a custom security solution to deal with any potential issues that make their way onto my property.  We house non-releasable birds of prey on the property and if something were to happen, I'd like to at least have some video evidence along with potential warnings that someone is where they should not be.

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

And people wonder why we're quickly growing into a surveillance society... (yes, still growing... it can get worse).

Ridiculous.  But, last year we had a a few months of significant car thefts and other criminal mischief in the area (very rare).  During that I installed a custom security solution to deal with any potential issues that make their way onto my property.  We house non-releasable birds of prey on the property and if something were to happen, I'd like to at least have some video evidence along with potential warnings that someone is where they should not be.

Not to get off-focus here, but I’m really interested in birds of prey and potentially having my own someday or becoming a falconer. I’d love to hear more about it. Raptors are cool as hell, really going to miss seeing them everyday once I move. 

In the Rochester area, there are more birds of prey than ever before..... or at least in my lifetime. Bald eagles along the lakeshore and I-bay, are fairly common...... as are osprey. Lots of redtails. It's getting harder to be a pheasant or a fish.

25 minutes ago, hsif said:

In the Rochester area, there are more birds of prey than ever before..... or at least in my lifetime. Bald eagles along the lakeshore and I-bay, are fairly common...... as are osprey. Lots of redtails. It's getting harder to be a pheasant or a fish.

There aren't many tall buildings here in downtown Durham, NC.  My office window looks right out at pretty much the only one.  There's always a bird perched up on the top, randomly circling around.  I'm assuming turkey vulture due to the size, but I'm not 100% sure since they don't tend to be alone like this one.  Maybe there are a few on the other side of the building that is blocked from my view.

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Not to get off-focus here, but I’m really interested in birds of prey and potentially having my own someday or becoming a falconer. I’d love to hear more about it. Raptors are cool as hell, really going to miss seeing them everyday once I move. 

1 hour ago, hsif said:

https://www.bbrr.org - Website
https://www.facebook.com/BraddockBayRaptorResearch/ - Facebook
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/braddock-bay-raptor-research/2019-spring-raptor-watch - live migration updates from our hawk watcher

Braddock Bay Raptor Research.  The Braddock Bay area upon Lake Ontario in the Town of Greece has one of the highest Spring migration totals in North America.

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LTS said:

We house non-releasable birds of prey on the property

Really want to hear more about this.

Last Summer I fished 8 bodies of water in western NY, saw eagles on 5 of them, ospreys on all of them.  Up until less than 10 years ago, I think I saw maybe 4 eagles in my lifetime, none in NY.

59 minutes ago, Weave said:

Last Summer I fished 8 bodies of water in western NY, saw eagles on 5 of them, ospreys on all of them.  Up until less than 10 years ago, I think I saw maybe 4 eagles in my lifetime, none in NY.

There's information in the links above.

The four birds we have are a Great Horned Owl, Red-tailed Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, and a Merlin.  They've all suffered damage to wings or eyes.  Wings are usually being hit by a car and eyes can be that but our redtail was shot.  They are used for education program my wife does as part of the organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’m in between Canandaigua and Honeoye lakes and had one cruising right over my house last summer. He was followed closely by a dozen or so crows... I’ve spent a ton of time in/at/on Hemlock and see them all the time there. I think they’ve come to like the smaller less populated lakes.

36 minutes ago, LTS said:

There's information in the links above.

The four birds we have are a Great Horned Owl, Red-tailed Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, and a Merlin.  They've all suffered damage to wings or eyes.  Wings are usually being hit by a car and eyes can be that but our redtail was shot.  They are used for education program my wife does as part of the organization.  

This is awesome. I may rent out the lawn roller for more info on this.?

Even trade...

Eagle populations have been rising up strongly over the past few decades.  The elimination of DDT and the subsequent bounce back of the bald eagle population is perhaps the premiere example of how raptors can be indicators of environmental health.

A few weeks ago Hawk Ridge in Duluth, MN set a new North American record for a single day migration.. they counted 1,076 bald eagles in  single day.  The old record was 822.

https://www.facebook.com/HawkRidgeDuluth/posts/2271009066295153

Edited by LTS

A building a few block just had a nice little explosion that so far sounds like it was a gas line.  That should make for a crazy day.  It felt like something was dropped on our building's roof.

edit: https://www.wral.com/durham-explosion-1-person-dead-after-gas-explosion-in-downtown/18317583/

Edited by shrader