The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

11 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yes.  Yes we do, but it only works as the airport on weekends.  During the week it's the bus station.

Actually, our airport is great.  AC860 to Heathrow in less than 5 hours.

Ir's also a great place to gank some luggage.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

This will be seen as insensitive by some.  Oh well.

Airplanes have limited space and we all have to share that space.  If you are going to take up more than one seat, pay for it.  I don't care if that's for your baby, or for your left thigh, or for your double bass, or whatever.  Pay for the space you use.

I'm not switching seats.  I'm anxious enough being cooped up.  There's a reason why I paid $15 or $30 for extra leg room on the aisle, and it's not because I'm 6'5".  It's because even that perceived 2% of extra freedom makes me considerably less anxious.  

Also:  If there is a middle seat, and a person is sitting in it, that person gets both armrests if they want them.  End of story.

You're damn right the middle seat gets both armrests! Oh, and if I have the window seat, I'm sorry that you've never seen the grand canyon before, but the screen is staying down. We're not looking out there. It's just not happening.

34 minutes ago, ubkev said:

You're damn right the middle seat gets both armrests! Oh, and if I have the window seat, I'm sorry that you've never seen the grand canyon before, but the screen is staying down. We're not looking out there. It's just not happening.

You're a savage Kev!

I really wish the aisle guy on my flight to Rome last year followed the suggested armrest etiquette... 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

As crazy as it sounds, I kind of miss that era of jumbotrons.  The stuff they have today, I have no idea where to look for the clock.  I always revert back to the classic setup of score and clock at the top, before realizing that it's now on the ribbon at the bottom.  Even if it's only a fraction of a second that my eyes are off the game, it's still annoying.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

As crazy as it sounds, I kind of miss that era of jumbotrons.  The stuff they have today, I have no idea where to look for the clock.  I always revert back to the classic setup of score and clock at the top, before realizing that it's now on the ribbon at the bottom.  Even if it's only a fraction of a second that my eyes are off the game, it's still annoying.

I actually look above the goalie but that’s my easy viewing angle. 

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I actually look above the goalie but that’s my easy viewing angle. 

I'm sure it's different from building to building, but I'm still hard wired to look dead center on the scoreboard.  The score and clock was the centerpiece of scoreboard for an eternity, but then those giant TV screens changed everything.  If I went to more than one game a year, I'm sure I would have gotten past this a long time ago.

Is anyone else thrown off by the start of Tim O'Shei's piece on the Housleys in today's News?

Phil Housley, who is more than halfway through his second season as the Buffalo Sabres’ head coach, is leaning back on the sand-colored couch inside his Lake Erie condominium. He is talking about the tribulations (10 in a row!) and trials (“Fire Housley!”) of leading a National Hockey League team.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/17/a-sabres-season-and-a-senate-setback-at-home-with-the-housleys/

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is anyone else thrown off by the start of Tim O'Shei's piece on the Housleys in today's News?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/17/a-sabres-season-and-a-senate-setback-at-home-with-the-housleys/

That's definitely not in today's sports section in print.  

I'm not sure what to find troubling about it, other than the fact that I don't care what color his couch is.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's definitely not in today's sports section in print.  

I'm not sure what to find troubling about it, other than the fact that I don't care what color his couch is.

I always thought trials and tribulations were part and parcel. I don't think a winning streak is a tribulation. I'm guessing the writer thinks a tribulation is something good (sounds like tribute?). Or has the word morphed? I hear "notoriety" more and more with a positive connotation. Dahlin has gained notoriety around the league in his first season.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I always thought trials and tribulations were part and parcel. I don't think a winning streak is a tribulation. I'm guessing the writer thinks a tribulation is something good (sounds like tribute?). Or has the word morphed? I hear "notoriety" more and more with a positive connotation. Dahlin has gained notoriety around the league in his first season.

Ah I see what you're at now.  Yes, the writer most definitely is using the wrong word.  The quality of the Buffalo News continues to ameliorate.  /s

From what I've seen, the best thing for us to do is all go on Twitter and publicly call the author mean names.

EDIT:  There.  Now I've done it.

Edited by Eleven

What ever happened to 26cornerblitz? I feel like this board could desperately use some of his high quality GDT to bring some good back into the conversation. And, although I’m probably remembering it wrong, I feel like the team was better when he was around.

Edited by IrwinNelson
Grammar

4 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

What ever happened to 26cornerblitz? I feel like this board could desperately use some of his high quality GDT to bring some good back into the conversation. And, although I’m probably remembering it wrong, I feel like the team was better when he was around.

He left in a snit for HFBoards (IIRC) a few years back because some here had the audacity to disagree with him on occassion.

He continued posting on Scott's Bills site until a month or 2 ago when he received a timeout for something.  (Don't follow that board closely enough to know why he recieved the ban.)

Would be surprised if he returns to here unless he gets banned at HFBoards.

Would be fine with him coming back, but would prefer to see XBenedict &/or Randy Flagg back if we were to only get 1 of them.

30 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

As someone who started a GDT this year, I'm offended. ?

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He left in a snit for HFBoards (IIRC) a few years back because some here had the audacity to disagree with him on occassion.

He continued posting on Scott's Bills site until a month or 2 ago when he received a timeout for something.  (Don't follow that board closely enough to know why he recieved the ban.)

Would be fine with him coming back, but would prefer to see XBenedict &/or Randy Flagg back if we were to only get 1 of them.

We’ve lost a lot of good contributors over the years. I knew XBenedict left, I hadn’t realized Flagg stopped posting. Was he not around the beginning of the season? Is Nero on the board anymore? As someone who primarily reads the board (and has much longer than account activation) the more solid contributors the better, it’s always a shame to lose them.

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Me too.

I have it on a good source (sorry, can't reveal it) that Randall is on a self-imposed and extended break.  He took a bit of a beating for some of his posts from some.

I am really worried about dark leaving too.

6 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

We’ve lost a lot of good contributors over the years. I knew XBenedict left, I hadn’t realized Flagg stopped posting. Was he not around the beginning of the season? Is Nero on the board anymore? As someone who primarily reads the board (and has much longer than account activation) the more solid contributors the better, it’s always a shame to lose them.

Pretty sure Neo still posts now & then.  Expect that Flagg will be back, but who knows when.

My company moved to a new building in December.  This place has some sort of smart glass that automatically tints to adjust for sun light.  For some strange reason, they didn't put that glass on the east side of the building, where I happen to sit.  Now what do you get on the east side?  Morning sun.  I'm completely blinded each morning right up until 9:15.  That's running later and later each day, so I don't want to know what it'll be like by the summer.  I'd love to know who that genius was who decided not to tint the east windows.  There is a parking garage on that side that should shade part of the building, but my floor is the first one that is fully above the garage.  There's also a big building off in that direction that eventually blocks the sun, but as I said, that's happening later and later each day.

I'm sure their solution will be to move me, but that's just passing the problem off to someone else and also once the sun is blocked, this is a really good spot.  So I'd rather stay here and find a solution.  Oh, and before anyone asks, I'm in at 8, so it's not just 15 minutes where I have to deal with the sun.