The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I thought I had a well above average vocabulary.  I had to look up bespoke.

I've started getting alot of stuff tailored as well.  I blame my off balance physique.

"A bespoke suit always fits." Or so say the Brits

18 hours ago, Eleven said:

I get a lot of tailored & bespoke stuff (hazard of the job) and I didn't even know it was possible to get tailored jeans unless they're bespoke. 

15 hours ago, Weave said:

I thought I had a well above average vocabulary.  I had to look up bespoke.

I've started getting alot of stuff tailored as well.  I blame my off balance physique.

The word has been getting used more lately. I blame the Food Network.  They've made it cool to use obscure words to sound fancy.  Like making a gastrique or crostini.  It's sauce and toast you jackholes.

In some ways, isn't what Eleven said both redundant and repetitive ( ? )?  If it's tailored, isn't it bespoke?

1 minute ago, LTS said:

The word has been getting used more lately. I blame the Food Network.  They've made it cool to use obscure words to sound fancy.  Like making a gastrique or crostini.  It's sauce and toast you jackholes.

In some ways, isn't what Eleven said both redundant and repetitive ( ? )?  If it's tailored, isn't it bespoke?

No--they're different.  And I don't know how new the word is; I know The Who were using it in the 60s.

Anyway:  Buy a pair of pants and have them altered to fit you:  Tailored.

Have a tailor measure you and then build a pair of pants:  Bespoke.

Which is why I think it would be difficult to tailor a pair of jeans, especially in the seat.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No--they're different.  And I don't know how new the word is; I know The Who were using it in the 60s.

Anyway:  Buy a pair of pants and have them altered to fit you:  Tailored.

Have a tailor measure you and then build a pair of pants:  Bespoke.

Which is why I think it would be difficult to tailor a pair of jeans, especially in the seat.

Ahhh I see the difference now... 

I am sure the word has been around a long time, it was just not needed because you could say "I had someone sew me some pants".  Olde English perhaps... ? 

44 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Longer things, which could probably have been a couple sizes larger.  But what do I know?

I think you know more then you know you know, you know, eh?

And a questions begs to be asked ... what are you doing hanging around court?  Waiting for Eleven to show up?  I hope you made that one call count.

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You'll have to introduce her to chz's tailor.

You rang?  At your service, sir.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think you know more then you know you know, you know, eh?

And a questions begs to be asked ... what are you doing hanging around court?  Waiting for Eleven to show up?  I hope you made that one call count.

In a sure sign of what this world's coming to, I'm the guy who decides whether you need to make that phone call or not...

30 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Come on, man.  I don't have time to ferret about in the cobwebs of SabreSpace.

I'll stop toying with you.  I'm a magistrate, which, in Virginia, is a weird and sometimes fun post.  Put it this way, I've spent more Christmases in jail than your average convicted felon. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I'll stop toying with you.  I'm a magistrate, which, in Virginia, is a weird and sometimes fun post.  Put it this way, I've spent more Christmases in jail than your average convicted felon. 

So, I had to look it up, but it looks like a fun (? ... actually, probably not fun) job.

How did you come about to become a magistrate in the State of Virginia?  Are you one of *them*?

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
missing letters really make it hard(er) to follow my ramblings ...

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, I had to look it up, but it looks like a fun (? ... actually, probably not fun) job.

How did you come about to become a magistrate in the State of Virginia?  Are you one of *them*?

1. Commonwealth.  Commonwealth of Virginia. 

2. Yup.