The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Have a job interview in Philadelphia I'm very on the fence about. The opportunity sounds very promising; a ton of travel, new city, and much more opportunity. However, it is not exactly in the technical area I am in currently, I am familiar with, and quite honestly sounds less challenging. The trade offs of course being growth and experience. Also, it is a lateral move salary wise to a much more expensive city

Any and all advice is welcome. Seriously, call me a dumbass if I'm being one ?

DON'T DO IT!!

CHARLIE., IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD ... DON'T DO IT.

(sorry MattPie).

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

Recommendation for large private purchases: make the deal at the buyer's bank (if they have one). Plenty of surveillance, well-lit, and the buyer doesn't need to bring cash. Once the deal is agreed on, the buyer (and seller) can walk inside and withdraw cash or certified check and hand it to the seller. Low-risk for on both parties. I've heard the some Police have "online buying areas" at stations where you can meet to exchange. The Police aren't involved, but you're next to a station if things go pear-shaped.

I always suggest meeting in the darkest ally possible.  That way the other dude / dudette will be to scared to try anything.  Yup.

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Have a job interview in Philadelphia I'm very on the fence about. The opportunity sounds very promising; a ton of travel, new city, and much more opportunity. However, it is not exactly in the technical area I am in currently, I am familiar with, and quite honestly sounds less challenging. The trade offs of course being growth and experience. Also, it is a lateral move salary wise to a much more expensive city

Philly is a pretty cool town, really. It's not entirely unlike Buffalo, just in there are 3 good sushi places in Buffalo there are 30 in Philly. It has a much more neighborhood feel to it than NYC or DC. Tons more great beer, even taking into account Buffalo's recent rash of new breweries. PM me (or we can talk here) if you want to be more specific about what's up. IIRC, you're in Software so there's a (small) chance I may know of the company. I'm not at all in tune with the market as I've been at the same job for a decade. ?

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

DON'T DO IT!!

CHARLIE., IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD ... DON'T DO IT.

(sorry MattPie).

No worries, Philly has (somewhat deservedly) bad rep around here, but it's probably more like Buffalo than many cities I've been too.

Edited by MattPie

Woke up to find a gofundme for a friend from college. One of the kindest folks I knew. She has one of the rarest (less than 1%) and most aggressive forms of breast cancer. So we're all trying to raise $15k to help out in some super tiny way (she's already wayyy past that amount and has opened/maxxed out more credit cards). Minimum 2-3 rounds of intensive chemo, double mastectomy, 2-3 more rounds of chemo, then radiation, then a radical hysterectomy all before 30. ***** cancer. Just... ***** it. 

--

On a lighter and stupider note... I had a guy order a huge print from me back in the Spring. Lives in Germany. No prob, did what I always do for European bound work. 4 months later, get an email "hey where is it". After lots of searching, found it had gone to Germany, seen the sights, and was "lost" in a hold in Rochester. Got it back. Went toa different carrier, paid a buttload more money, asked a bazillion questions to ensure its safe arrival... off it goes. 
Guess what greeted us at the door this morning? Yup, another full trip to Frankfurt, but rejected at customs there for size! Apparently! Again! So now I'm choosing to refund the guy (who never responds anyways) in addition to the giant hole of money I'm in from expensive shipping... and I'll try one more time. 

OR I'll just buy a freaking ticket to Deutschland and hand deliver the damn thing.... Woody, you aren't planning to be in Frankfurt anytime soon by any chance, no? 

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Finally found that dream job killing rats in a bar?

• Haha (+1) 1

I really like working for myself.  It has advantages and disadvantages and for the most part the advantages have significantly outweighed the disadvantages over the last 15 years.

That said, I always keep and eye out for any opportunity that may be of interest to me.

Anyway, I just came acrost an ad for a ... Manager of People and Culture.  

Really?  What the hell is that?

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the only things worse than my typing are my spelling and grammar

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really like working for myself.  It has advantages and disadvantages and for the most part the advantages have significantly outweighed the disadvantages over the last 15 years.

That said, I always keep and eye out for any opportunity that may be of interest to me.

Anyway, I just came acrost an ad for a ... Manager of People and Culture.  

Really?  What the hell is that?

Fancy hip buzzword office speak for HR/Coordinator, probably 

36 minutes ago, josie said:

Fancy hip buzzword office speak for HR/Coordinator, probably 

I don't like hipsters.  Our, freakin' Prime Minister is one.

I get that for the people part, but culture?  What a joke.

my next post is # 13,000 ... it better be memorable

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

about 2 years ago I had a huge decision to make when i was medically discharged from the Air Force. I narrowed my job offers down to two that i really thought i would like. so i made  a list of what was important to me and then ordered them in level of importance.

one job was in Northern VA just outside of DC making more $ than I ever thought i'd make and the other was in Dayton OH making a lot less $, but, i had to take into account the cost of living as one of my most important factors as the jobs were both something i knew i would enjoy. My wife and i knew what kind of house we wanted to build and it was just not feasable to live near DC and the crazy prices there. Second on the list was how busy DC is and the amount of time we'd spend commuting (I know because i was stationed there 10 years ago.) In the end, it wasn't really much of a choice, we picked Ohio and love it here. Built out dream house for $500K less than we wouldve paid in DC

long story short, make a list of important factors and rank them accordingly and the pros and cons that come with them. good luck

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't like hipsters.  Or, freakin' Prime Minister is one.

I get that for the people part, but culture?  What a joke.

... does it really matter? Same job. Name's stupid, but oh well. A lot of companies have toxic culture issues. Having a position dedicated to that and HR will most likely have 0 effect because companies are basically just cults of personality and if you don't fit in you're better off leaving but... worth a shot in some cases maybe. But what do I know, I probably qualify as a hipster. 

I have to work with a lot of posts and articles about different aspects of mostly boring companies- it's a term du jour. Relax, nothing's changed, and probably never will. 

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

about 2 years ago I had a huge decision to make when i was medically discharged from the Air Force. I narrowed my job offers down to two that i really thought i would like. so i made  a list of what was important to me and then ordered them in level of importance.

one job was in Northern VA just outside of DC making more $ than I ever thought i'd make and the other was in Dayton OH making a lot less $, but, i had to take into account the cost of living as one of my most important factors as the jobs were both something i knew i would enjoy. My wife and i knew what kind of house we wanted to build and it was just not feasable to live near DC and the crazy prices there. Second on the list was how busy DC is and the amount of time we'd spend commuting (I know because i was stationed there 10 years ago.) In the end, it wasn't really much of a choice, we picked Ohio and love it here. Built out dream house for $500K less than we wouldve paid in DC

long story short, make a list of important factors and rank them accordingly and the pros and cons that come with them. good luck

You pretty much just described the my move from Boston to NC.  Plenty of people make it work, but I have no idea how the do it in those overpriced, over trafficked areas.

20 hours ago, josie said:

... does it really matter? Same job. Name's stupid, but oh well. A lot of companies have toxic culture issues. Having a position dedicated to that and HR will most likely have 0 effect because companies are basically just cults of personality and if you don't fit in you're better off leaving but... worth a shot in some cases maybe. But what do I know, I probably qualify as a hipster. 

I have to work with a lot of posts and articles about different aspects of mostly boring companies- it's a term du jour. Relax, nothing's changed, and probably never will. 

Sorry, Josie.

My apologies.  I really need to be more careful with what I say and how I say it.

I don't have a problem with young hipsters.  I considered myself to be very hip back in the day.  I was listening to The Clash before it became hip.

My only real problem is that our Prime Minister makes himself out to be a hipster, my guess in an effort to gain support from the youth of Canada.  The issue is that this has become his reputation and it is a big issue when he is on the world stage where diplomacy and statespersonship is required.  He comes across as everything but that.

Hey tech guys and gals,

I sent a text message this morning and right after that my phone screen when blank.  It was 'dead' for about 30 minutes, but started up then when I did a 'hard' start by pressing the start button for a count of 10.

Is it one of those things, or should I be prepared for my second most hated thing ... phone shopping, which is right after car shopping, with having multiple root canals next and way down the list.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey tech guys and gals,

I sent a text message this morning and right after that my phone screen when blank.  It was 'dead' for about 30 minutes, but started up then when I did a 'hard' start by pressing the start button for a count of 10.

Is it one of those things, or should I be prepared for my second most hated thing ... phone shopping, which is right after car shopping, with having multiple root canals next and way down the list.

You gon be phone shopping soon. 

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey tech guys and gals,

No insurance? My provider shipped me a new one within a few days and it was the newer version to boot Galaxy S8 to S9