The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, sabills said:

This last Friday I was prepping a room we're redoing in order to put in new flooring. We're doing that wood/laminate stuff, and it doesn't need a pad, so my job was to fix/replace a bunch of the subfloor because its old a crappy. In succession I:

1) Cut my finger with a jigsaw blade...by removing it from its packaging

2) Had my table saw motor die, so I had to rip boards/flooring with a circular saw all weekend.

3) About 15 minutes before going out to meet people at a bar for the Sabres game I put a screw through a hot water pipe, which meant that I had to rip up about 50% of the new subfloor I put in to cut out the bad section of pipe and replace it with pex.

4)I then had to wait until the next morning to put the subfloor back in so everything could dry, meaning I didn't finish the real flooring, and probably won't until this coming weekend.

5) Also my wife and I were sick the whole time.

The good news out of this: I made it to the bar in time for the third; saw the Sabres go down, tie it up, then win.

AND I get a new table saw, which I've needed to upgrade anyways.

It was a stressful 8 hours or so, but it (mostly) worked out in the end.

Damn, I wish I knew how to do any of this.

Edited by ubkev

21 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Damn, I wish I knew how to do any of this.

I learned how to do Pex at about 4:15 Friday evening, so its achievable, haha. Its super easy, actually.

Also, YouTube is your friend. No matter how specific a fix you need to do, some old dude with a vaguely southern accent and a beard has a video of how to do the repair.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

I learned how to do Pex at about 4:15 Friday evening, so its achievable, haha. Its super easy, actually.

Also, YouTube is your friend. No matter how specific a fix you need to do, some old dude with a vaguely southern accent and a beard has a video of how to do the repair.

Oh, I do subscribe to the YouTube method of home improvement. I've done a toilet replacement and I put in a sink. Both in my laundry/boiler room, so it was a good practice run in a room that doesn't need to look pretty.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabills said:

Pex is crazy easy. It’s also very forgiving. I’ve plumbed and replumbed the lines in my house for various different water treatments. Cut the band with a grinder and just reuse the fittings. They’re the real cost in a Pex project. If you don’t care about right angles though you can eliminate most elbow fittings and bring the costs down. A heat gun and some pre planning and you can really save some money.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I just saw a pair of Cardinals outside my office door.  Splendid looking specimens.  Hopefully, they will stick around and breed in the spring.  They usually do not winter here and we only started seeing them regularly very recently.

A pair of Cardinals made their home in a large pine tree just outside my office window. I’ve never seen their nest, but it is overwhelmingly apparent when they have babies present. They’ll aggressively defend their tree. Unfortunately “window” is a concept they have yet to grasp. I’m unsure if they see their own refelection or if they hate me. Either way, they repeatedly bash themselves into my window. But it’s cool to observe them from up close. Beats looking at my monitors!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

A pair of Cardinals made their home in a large pine tree just outside my office window. I’ve never seen their nest, but it is overwhelmingly apparent when they have babies present. They’ll aggressively defend their tree. Unfortunately “window” is a concept they have yet to grasp. I’m unsure if they see their own refelection or if they hate me. Either way, they repeatedly bash themselves into my window. But it’s cool to observe them from up close. Beats looking at my monitors!

Might not be a bad idea to put out a hawk or owl silhouette on the window to keep them from bashing their heads into it.

The silhouettes really do work.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Pex is crazy easy. It’s also very forgiving. I’ve plumbed and replumbed the lines in my house for various different water treatments. Cut the band with a grinder and just reuse the fittings. They’re the real cost in a Pex project. If you don’t care about right angles though you can eliminate most elbow fittings and bring the costs down. A heat gun and some pre planning and you can really save some money.

Yup. It was copper pipe, just cut it off about 6 inches away from the hole on each side, reamed it, 2 of the shark bite connecters and a foot of Pex. Whole thing took about 10 minutes (not including time to run out and buy the stuff)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Hahahahahaha @Samson's Flow

That's the funniest ship I've seen all week! Oh man! I actually laughed out loud. There has got to be a story there, right? 

There really isn't one specific story. He doesn't work and is home all the time, and as a result he is very meticulous about how his yard/property looks. This isn't anywhere close to the first time he's done something like this.

I honestly don't know. He had a verbal shouting match with my dad like two years ago about our construction mess ruining his yard, but I haven't said more than a few words to him since we moved there in 2013.

Since then, he now passively aggressively comes out with the leaf blower every time I mow the grass or take the leaves to blow "my" grass off his property onto mine. 

I believe he thinks that I mess up his property intentionally and retailiates accordingly. I have mostly ignored it or laughed it off, but this one is especially silly imo

My poor little buddy Hobey had a big day. Took him to the wrong vet. 30 more minutes to the right place. Pain and suffering. Poor bastard went for a cleaning and became a medical oddity. Both sides lower jaw he has a double set of a particular tooth on both sides, somewhat fused together. The one that needed extraction was intertwined with one these abnormal teeth. He was the celebrity of the day, claimed to be famous for eternity.....

They’re cereal in that mofo.

They sent me home with X-rays. They were pumped.

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

My poor little buddy Hobey had a big day. Took him to the wrong vet. 30 more minutes to the right place. Pain and suffering. Poor bastard went for a cleaning and became a medical oddity. Both sides lower jaw he has a double set of a particular tooth on both sides, somewhat fused together. The one that needed extraction was intertwined with one these abnormal teeth. He was the celebrity of the day, claimed to be famous for eternity.....

They’re cereal in that mofo.

They sent me home with X-rays. They were pumped.

I want to like this but also dang. 

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

We love NS and will never leave, probably. 

But it is like a third world country.

No power this AM. A bit of snow and wind, but it's late November in Canada. What the heck do they expect. 

NS out ... 

Just was looking at a map of North America and was not shocked to discover how dumb I am. I figured you couldn't be more than a couple hours from the Laurentians in Quebec. Turns out, where I'm at in Pennsylvania is closer to there than you are in Halifax. But you probably knew that.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Just was looking at a map of North America and was not shocked to discover how dumb I am. I figured you couldn't be more than a couple hours from the Laurentians in Quebec. Turns out, where I'm at in Pennsylvania is closer to there than you are in Halifax. But you probably knew that.

My wife descibes NS as ... 'that place that they are talking about when they say you can't get there from here' and 'we are so far out in the atlantic and at the edge of time that our very own Sir invented a time zone just for us' and (my personal favourite) 'NS come visit us, we are the Canadian Province that looks like a big _ _ _ _ _'

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
power is back on ...

So, our power was out for about 3.5 hours today.

Do we have to worry about the stuff in our fridge?  I know that the freezer is fine.

Will we die a slow and painful death if we eat the stuff in there ... we love our cheeze.

Also, will I die an even slower, or maybe faster, death because I ate a mufffin today that was a bit moldy?  Tasted off, but could not see any green.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
always mix up my there and their ...

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, our power was out for about 3.5 hours today.

Do we have to worry about the stuff in our fridge?  I know that the freezer is fine.

Will we die a slow and painful death if we eat the stuff in there ... we love our cheeze.

Also, will I die an even slower, or maybe faster, death because I ate a mufffin today that was a bit moldy?  Tasted off, but could not see any green.

Food in fridge is fine for 3-4 hrs.  The moldy muffin however......  throw them out.