The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

So, I put a few of my hockey cards up on eBay.  It was relatively painless to set up and the PayPal account to go hand in hand with it.

Sold my first card today.  Paul Coffey rookie card for $45.  After fees and shipping will end up with about $37.50 in my PayPal account.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

After reading every article on tsn, nhl, sabres, espn, and diebytheblade that I could find, watching the full shootout vs the Jets, both condensed games 3 times each, and staring at the standings periodically for the last 2 hours, I've officially run out of Sabres content, and I'm desperately needing some more

You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through... —Billy Joel

Since I just crushed NS' spirit, I might as well add... Brad Park.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, dudacek said:

I’ve had a young carpenter doing the important skilled aspects of my ongoing renovation. Reliable, talented, honest...can’t recommend him highly enough.

He works on his own and is in demand, but refuses to hire help, won’t advertise and only accepts jobs through personal referrals. When I asked him about it, he says he likes doing what he does the way he does for people he likes to work with and he doesn’t want clutter up his life dealing with headaches and a—holes.

Hardly the traditional American Dream, but I was thinking about him as I read this - “I found the best burger place in America. And then I killed it” - the finest piece of journalism I’ve been privileged to read in quite some time.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

That is a great read. Thanks for sharing.

I have a few local places that I really like, and while I tell that to friends, part of the allure is that they are off the beaten path and a little quieter. Much like the article, I probably wouldn't like them nearly as much if they were mobbed all the time. I like that it feels like my "personal" spot.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, dudacek said:

I’ve had a young carpenter doing the important skilled aspects of my ongoing renovation. Reliable, talented, honest...can’t recommend him highly enough.

He works on his own and is in demand, but refuses to hire help, won’t advertise and only accepts jobs through personal referrals. When I asked him about it, he says he likes doing what he does the way he does for people he likes to work with and he doesn’t want clutter up his life dealing with headaches and a—holes.

Hardly the traditional American Dream, but I was thinking about him as I read this - “I found the best burger place in America. And then I killed it” - the finest piece of journalism I’ve been privileged to read in quite some time.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

Dudacek, thanks for sharing this.  This is very good journalism, which is rare these days, and a very compelling story, and I would gladly read other stuff by the author.  I almost responded after I initially read it, but thought better of it.  But this Pens game is frustrating, and this article aggravates me on a bunch of different levels, so…

Yes, things would arguably still be “normal” if the author never wrote this article, but what happened afterwards is not his “fault” in any way, and he cannot claim any “blame” whatsoever.

You want blame?  Let’s start with the Portland hipsters.  Who willingly waits in line for 5 hours for a hamburger?  The only time I would ever wait 5 hours in line for food is in a post-apocalyptic zombie-nightmare soup kitchen, and it certainly wouldn’t be for the thrill of instagramming a picture of my meal to all my so-called friends once it finally arrived.  Sure, non-locals were contributing to the demand, but come on, we’ve all seen Portlandia.  Hipsters think they are all such individuals, but this is just another example of them being the sheep that they are.  Like my grandfather said to my 18-year old uncle and his pals at a Christmas party back in the 60’s. “That’s the problem with you non-conformists, you’re all the same!”

Maybe it’s just the cynical capitalist in me, but the owner needs to grow a sack.  I totally get that the employees are getting stressed and taking it out on the customers, and that the regulars are getting the short end of the stick.  It’s just a simple supply and demand equation.  Demand is out of control.  Double your prices.  Heck, triple your prices.  Tell the employees in person, in no uncertain terms that they are awesome, and prove that you mean it by doubling or tripling their salaries.  All you are asking of them in return is to do their jobs like they did before the article.  The regulars are still odd-man out here, but ultimately the goal is to get the demand in control, and then hopefully you can bring them (the regulars) back into the picture.  As the article suggested, using this opportunity to expand and/or franchise could also take advantage of the demand.  What the #### is closing up for 10 months accomplishing?  Not a got-dammed thing!

Can't shake this stomach flu. Been sick since Saturday. Have to fly in a few hours- have severe flight anxiety- looks like it'll be a rough flight (windy)... I'm not visibly sick anymore (both ends are relatively quiet for once) but god.. I feel so sh!tty still. I'm terrified I'm going to relapse on the flight. Never been airsick in my life but today might break that... someone just want to shoot me? 

2 minutes ago, josie said:

Can't shake this stomach flu. Been sick since Saturday. Have to fly in a few hours- have severe flight anxiety- looks like it'll be a rough flight (windy)... I'm not visibly sick anymore (both ends are relatively quiet for once) but god.. I feel so sh!tty still. I'm terrified I'm going to relapse on the flight. Never been airsick in my life but today might break that... someone just want to shoot me? 

Ugh, you're living my nightmare. Feel better. 

Any chance you've had romaine lettuce sometime in the last week? 

30 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ugh, you're living my nightmare. Feel better. 

Any chance you've had romaine lettuce sometime in the last week? 

haha we actually racked our brains to see if I had, because it's just been going on and on and dark hasn't gotten it yet... but nope. I hadn't puked from anything besides alcohol/allergy to alcohol in over 13 years until Sunday night... that means some of high school, all of college, all of teaching college, multiple trips around the world, performances, one whole job... not once. Guess the streak had to end sometime. 

I think it's my usual horrible problems complicated by either food poisoning or a bug. But it's been 2 days since the worst of it and my body is so weak that it honestly hurts to type right now. Doesn't help I had to do 12 hours of work yesterday... another 4 right now and more after I fly today... and I was so violently ill that I ripped all of my ab/back muscles. Feels bad, man. Skinniest I've been in a long time though... 

14 minutes ago, josie said:

haha we actually racked our brains to see if I had, because it's just been going on and on and dark hasn't gotten it yet... but nope. I hadn't puked from anything besides alcohol/allergy to alcohol in over 13 years until Sunday night... that means some of high school, all of college, all of teaching college, multiple trips around the world, performances, one whole job... not once. Guess the streak had to end sometime. 

I think it's my usual horrible problems complicated by either food poisoning or a bug. But it's been 2 days since the worst of it and my body is so weak that it honestly hurts to type right now. Doesn't help I had to do 12 hours of work yesterday... another 4 right now and more after I fly today... and I was so violently ill that I ripped all of my ab/back muscles. Feels bad, man. Skinniest I've been in a long time though... 

Goodness gracious. I hope the worst stays behind you. 

Good luck josie, I caught something my last day in Uganda and had about 26 hours of flight time, many hours spent in the bathroom, between trying to stay hydrated and losing it all out of both ends, I made it through, and have faith in you ??? drink some ginger ale to settle the stomach, some ibuprofen, and the BRAT diet and you'll be all set 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/18/2018 at 6:27 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, I put a few of my hockey cards up on eBay.  It was relatively painless to set up and the PayPal account to go hand in hand with it.

Sold my first card today.  Paul Coffey rookie card for $45.  After fees and shipping will end up with about $37.50 in my PayPal account.

Gonna dig mine out maybe next week and see what I have!

On 11/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Good luck josie, I caught something my last day in Uganda and had about 26 hours of flight time, many hours spent in the bathroom, between trying to stay hydrated and losing it all out of both ends, I made it through, and have faith in you ??? drink some ginger ale to settle the stomach, some ibuprofen, and the BRAT diet and you'll be all set 

That... that is my ultimate nightmare. I was on a long flight with someone going through that. It was pretty accepted that that particular lavatory was theirs- mutual crowd decision to just let them have it. Flight attendants were great with bags on hand as needed. I'm so sorry you went through that man... I know sometimes they divert flights for that, or won't let the person on. I managed a flight with chicken pox once- the itchy spots didn't show up until after I'd gone through the hellish flu symptoms that go with it- and they hit me as I was sitting at the gate. Still nothing close to what you dealt with! 

I made it through, I'm not totally back to normal, but I manged most of a plate of Thanksgiving before I knew it was time to throw the towel in. But dark still hasn't gotten it so... hoorayy 

I don't want this to be political, 

I'm currently in Paris and the yellow vest protestors were in full force, I drove through 2 toll plazas and didn't have to pay from the sheer unsafety of stopping to pay a toll, now there were legit riots in the streets with fire hoses and tear gas, it's unbelievable. 

France is currently more unsafe than several other "dangerous" countries I've been to 

24 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm currently in Paris and the yellow vest protestors were in full force, I drove through 2 toll plazas and didn't have to pay from the sheer unsafety of stopping to pay a toll, now there were legit riots in the streets with fire hoses and tear gas, it's unbelievable. 

France is currently more unsafe than several other "dangerous" countries I've been to 

Stay safe.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What the hecck is going on?

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Stay safe.

Good idea.

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Wholly crap!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/france-fuel-tax-protest-paris-1.4919541

Yes, indeed, Woody be careful.  Get yourself to someplace else.

They closed down the metro close to the city, I walked about a mile away and caught a connecting train to my B+B in the outer parts of the city, much calmer there. I'll venture back into the city tomorrow, later morning, it's good to get outta there. As much as I like to "flirt with danger" I'll easily pass on this one 

• Like (+1) 1

As I have aged I have pretty much gotten over the 'I Don't Like Mondays' of my youth, except today.

A wise and handsome man once said ... 'Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars' ...

Well, Black Friday was never my scene and I don't like Cyber Monday.

Anyway, Amazon.ca just got me with a deal that I could not refuse.  Fortunately, it was for ink for my main office printer / copier / scanner, which I needed anyway.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the 's' an the 'r' are pretty close on my keyboard and my fingers are still fat ...

This last Friday I was prepping a room we're redoing in order to put in new flooring. We're doing that wood/laminate stuff, and it doesn't need a pad, so my job was to fix/replace a bunch of the subfloor because its old a crappy. In succession I:

1) Cut my finger with a jigsaw blade...by removing it from its packaging

2) Had my table saw motor die, so I had to rip boards/flooring with a circular saw all weekend.

3) About 15 minutes before going out to meet people at a bar for the Sabres game I put a screw through a hot water pipe, which meant that I had to rip up about 50% of the new subfloor I put in to cut out the bad section of pipe and replace it with pex.

4)I then had to wait until the next morning to put the subfloor back in so everything could dry, meaning I didn't finish the real flooring, and probably won't until this coming weekend.

5) Also my wife and I were sick the whole time.

The good news out of this: I made it to the bar in time for the third; saw the Sabres go down, tie it up, then win.

AND I get a new table saw, which I've needed to upgrade anyways.

It was a stressful 8 hours or so, but it (mostly) worked out in the end.

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 2