The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

My wife tells me the other day "I'm thinking of getting a new tattoo." She currently has 1 that she's had since she turned 18. So I replied with "it's a little early for a midlife crisis." And now she no longer wants a tattoo.

She's taught me so many things over the years...

Oh and car keys go on the hook for the car keys. And the wallet goes on my dresser with my work ID. Same place, every time, every day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, inkman said:

My wallet and fob are in the exact same place 30 seconds after I get home every day. Am I the only one? 

My wife and brother on the other hand seemingly throw their most treasures items into the wind as soon as they arrive at their domiciles, hoping in the haste that is always the case when they need to leave they might stumble upon the mystery they left those items in. I've contemplated divorce over this issue. 

I do that with my keys but the wallet I just leave in an obvious place to find, just like I did yesterday! Damn, I put it right out in the open and walked right past it several times without seeing it, just crazy. Laughed when I finally saw it, but what an emotional drain all day yesterday. 

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Yesterday, my wife and I wanted breakfast, so,… we went and got breakfast.

Apparently that's a thing people do.

On a related note, I left my phone in the bathroom at work. I've never lost a wallet or keys and have never done that before.

Luckily, someone turned it in.

Ah, the ol’ phone on top of toilet paper holder? I’ve done that two or three times. But (butt?) luckily I’ve always realized quickly and retrieved it. 

I had never lost my wallet until last month. It just slid out of my pocket on a return flight, probably when I slouched down to try and catch some sleep. I realized as I was halfway out the “no rentry” area of the airport, and the TSA guy let me go back. Fortunately the gate agent was able to find it for me. 

Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal. I keep my credit cards and license in my phone case (highly recommend Speck cases, fwiw). And I carry $0-$20 cash at any time. My wallet mostly has half-used gift cards, old student ID, some coupons. Except this time, it was stuffed with the cash that my wife won in Vegas. We made a quick stop at MGM before our flight. So, that woulda sucked to lose. 

Had to put down the family dog last night. She was 16 and lived a good life; lots of treats, had a good acre of land to roam around behind my parents house, always at least one of the kids living at home while she was there. Still sad. In the summer she got a tumor in her gut that the doctor said would basically just keep growing until it popped and killed her. Then this past week she could barely stand, couldn't get up the 2 steps in from the backyard to the house, stopped drinking water, and stopped eating (basically the only thing she's lived for over the last couple years) so it was time. We were in the room with her when they did it and it was super quick and painless. Still cried harder than I have in a long time.

On the grand scale of things other people here and elsewhere are going through some much harder stuff than that, but it was a rough couple hours there for me. My pup at home got some extra hard cuddles last night which I'm sure annoyed him, but TOO BAD.

• Sad 6

6 minutes ago, sabills said:

Had to put down the family dog last night. She was 16 and lived a good life; lots of treats, had a good acre of land to roam around behind my parents house, always at least one of the kids living at home while she was there. Still sad. In the summer she got a tumor in her gut that the doctor said would basically just keep growing until it popped and killed her. Then this past week she could barely stand, couldn't get up the 2 steps in from the backyard to the house, stopped drinking water, and stopped eating (basically the only thing she's lived for over the last couple years) so it was time. We were in the room with her when they did it and it was super quick and painless. Still cried harder than I have in a long time.

On the grand scale of things other people here and elsewhere are going through some much harder stuff than that, but it was a rough couple hours there for me. My pup at home got some extra hard cuddles last night which I'm sure annoyed him, but TOO BAD.

Few things are harder than being there when your pet is put down. Few things are harder than burying them. I'm sorry. ❤️ 

1 hour ago, sabills said:

I’m sorry friend.  

My initial reaction to this was to pet my elderly bulldog with spinal issues extra hard.  He loves it, I dread the day I’m in your shoes.  Dogs are the best.  This is why it hurts so much.  

2 hours ago, josie said:

Few things are harder than being there when your pet is put down. Few things are harder than burying them. I'm sorry. ❤️ 

Thanks Jo, you are one of the people I'm thinking about going through harder stuff right now.

26 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I’m sorry friend.  

My initial reaction to this was to pet my elderly bulldog with spinal issues extra hard.  He loves it, I dread the day I’m in your shoes.  Dogs are the best.  This is why it hurts so much.  

Thanks, man. Give him some extra pets for me!

2 hours ago, sabills said:

Been through this a few times with a very close family friend ... she is more like a mother to us.  Both of our cats passed away at home with us.  Both are extraordinarily hard to deal with.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and your beloved dog.  I believe with all my heart and soul that she is in heaven now.  The Qur'an confirms this.

56 minutes ago, sabills said:

Thanks Jo, you are one of the people I'm thinking about going through harder stuff right now.

There is no harder. Grief is what it is to each person, and it's a disservice to yourself to say your pain is lesser to someone else's. I think we do that too much- hold people to painful standards that insinuates that they are selfish for caring deeply for some problems and not somehow solving all the others. And pets.. they're family. They share some of our hardest moments without judgement. And they give us some of our best. That's a sacred bond. 

----

I'm in a holding pattern. My dad will go to Cleveland Clinic... when they call. Could be next week. Could be January. No clue. So now it's a case of waiting and seeing and hoping against hope that he holds steady until that time. He'll go back to work in the meantime; I am powerless in that fight. I continue as if nothing's happening as best I can, but I'm still half-waiting for that dreaded phone call that it is too late and I never got to say goodbye. I am grateful for Thanksgiving and also dreading it. I didn't expect to go through a lot of this before 30. It makes me feel a lot less secure in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Been through this a few times with a very close family friend ... she is more like a mother to us.  Both of our cats passed away at home with us.  Both are extraordinarily hard to deal with.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and your beloved dog.  I believe with all my heart and soul that she is in heaven now.  The Qur'an confirms this.

Thanks, NS. Its the first time I had to do it. She was the only pet my family had so I've never gone through it before.
I take solace picturing her running through open fields until her heart is content.

37 minutes ago, josie said:

There is no harder. Grief is what it is to each person, and it's a disservice to yourself to say your pain is lesser to someone else's. I think we do that too much- hold people to painful standards that insinuates that they are selfish for caring deeply for some problems and not somehow solving all the others. And pets.. they're family. They share some of our hardest moments without judgement. And they give us some of our best. That's a sacred bond. 

----

I'm in a holding pattern. My dad will go to Cleveland Clinic... when they call. Could be next week. Could be January. No clue. So now it's a case of waiting and seeing and hoping against hope that he holds steady until that time. He'll go back to work in the meantime; I am powerless in that fight. I continue as if nothing's happening as best I can, but I'm still half-waiting for that dreaded phone call that it is too late and I never got to say goodbye. I am grateful for Thanksgiving and also dreading it. I didn't expect to go through a lot of this before 30. It makes me feel a lot less secure in the world. 

Thanks for that Jo, I'm not always great at letting myself grieve or feel pain, so I really appreciate it.

And all my thoughts/prayers/energy and whatever else I've got to you and your family. If you guys need anything and I can help let me know.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sabills said:

Am I a bad person if I cried more when my dog died than when I dropped my kid off for the rest of her life on Monday?

Definitely drank more this week, though.

• Sad 4

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Am I a bad person if I cried more when my dog died than when I dropped my kid off for the rest of her life on Monday?

So sad to hear this.  I know you and your wife have struggled for years with your daughter and that this was coming.  Still it must be very hard for you and your wife and presumably your daughter.  You did all that you could and the best that you could.

53 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So sad to hear this.  I know you and your wife have struggled for years with your daughter and that this was coming.  Still it must be very hard for you and your wife and presumably your daughter.  You did all that you could and the best that you could.

Definitely harder on us than our daughter; she's home wherever she is and she'll be the mayor of that place in a week. It was a heavy couple of days and eye opening as well, but I really have no reason to visit the Thursday thread. If anything, I might go to the awesome thread because the level of care she will be getting is way beyond our expectations, and as someone mentioned earlier, the people who work there are pretty incredible.

Thanks for all the kind words, from everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, sabills said:

We'll be in that place soon.  Our dog is on borrowed time.  I've posted about it here.  We're pretty much going week to week with him.

You'll always have the memories...

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Nope.  Because as much as it stinks that you can't be the full time care giver to your daughter & as much as you and your wife love her, she is in a better situation for her.  As painful as it is for you now, I truly hope you can find the solace/ joy in that.  We'll keep you and her in our prayers.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, sabills said:

Had to put down the family dog last night.

We had to put one down this spring.  Never easy.  Hugs, friend.

In other news...

46323404_1910633318985549_79373457634183

I live close enough to the freeway that I hear the collisions in my family room (and smell the burnt rubber from my yard).

• Thanks (+1) 1

My primary work laptop, running Windows 7, has been working fine yesterday and today, ever since I ran a Windows Update.  Maybe they fixed my issue.  

Either way, I am slowly transitioning to a newer laptop running Windows 10, which I am getting the hang of and it's not bad.  The only issue is that it really seems to be keeping a very close eye on my every single move.  For example, all my 'favorites' from my Google Chrome on my Windows 7 machine are there for my pleasure on the new Windows 10 machine.  They didn't bother to ask me.  Nope.  They just did it.  I tell you, Orwell was not far off.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I don't spell, or type, very goodly ...

So in the 9ish months I've been at my new full time job... In the creative room alone, the head developer quit, the only print/collateral person is in the process of quitting- leaving 3 devs and 0 print/design (which is what I was expecting to take over). One of those devs went on maternity leave and there's some question as to if she'll come back. 2 devs. Now one of those devs is moving to California, and we're all kinda expecting him to find a new job out there sooner rather than later... 1 dev. And he just put in his 2 weeks yesterday. 0 devs at a web dev marketing company. 

There is now one person learning basic web dev, and me, who has never really touched it... and somehow we're going to have to learn/pull a load that was already too much when everyone  who were wizards at this stuff were here. They've been searching for replacements for the first person to leave for 6 months to no avail.

the next few months may kill me... at least I can basically say "you better pay up" when the sh!t hits the fan and I'm woking insane overtime on a salary... 

1 hour ago, josie said:

So in the 9ish months I've been at my new full time job... In the creative room alone, the head developer quit, the only print/collateral person is in the process of quitting- leaving 3 devs and 0 print/design (which is what I was expecting to take over). One of those devs went on maternity leave and there's some question as to if she'll come back. 2 devs. Now one of those devs is moving to California, and we're all kinda expecting him to find a new job out there sooner rather than later... 1 dev. And he just put in his 2 weeks yesterday. 0 devs at a web dev marketing company. 

There is now one person learning basic web dev, and me, who has never really touched it... and somehow we're going to have to learn/pull a load that was already too much when everyone  who were wizards at this stuff were here. They've been searching for replacements for the first person to leave for 6 months to no avail.

the next few months may kill me... at least I can basically say "you better pay up" when the sh!t hits the fan and I'm woking insane overtime on a salary... 

silver lining---job security, they can't afford to lose you now

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

silver lining---job security, they can't afford to lose you now

This is very true.

It's also good because now I'm going to absolutely 100% need to learn web dev, emails, video editing AND print...which will pretty much round out my designer toolbox and hopefully make me a much more attractive candidate when I feel it's time to spam the Sabres with my resume again... 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, josie said:

This is very true.

It's also good because now I'm going to absolutely 100% need to learn web dev, emails, video editing AND print...which will pretty much round out my designer toolbox and hopefully make me a much more attractive candidate when I feel it's time to spam the Sabres with my resume again... 

getting paid to learn something new is a great and its a resume builder. my last job asked me to teach myself java and said i could do it a few hours a day, pretty awesome

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

getting paid to learn something new is a great and its a resume builder. my last job asked me to teach myself java and said i could do it a few hours a day, pretty awesome

Niice.

Yeah that's one of the big reasons I went after this gig. Just being an illustrator does not get you stable employment, and this only happened because a friend worked there and knew I was capable of learning more stuff quickly. But if that can be my special weapon in an otherwise useful arsenal, I'll have a better shot at those real jobs. 

I've been teaching myself basics, html, java, css, scss, a touch of python here and there on codecademy (I tried ruby and my brain just shut down) but it's pretty much worthless until I actually have to make a project happen. We're all Wordpress and I am virtually an infant in terms of knowing what to do there. Bootstrap, widgets, etc... noooo clue. Don't even know what I don't know. But that'll have to change! 

The trouble is the people who can really teach me/walk me through the setups in place here are all leaving... 

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

For example, all my 'favorites' from my Google Chrome on my Windows 7 machine are there for my pleasure on the new Windows 10 machine.  They didn't bother to ask me.  Nope.  They just did it.  I tell you, Orwell was not far off.

That's not Win10, that's Google doing that for you.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, sabills said:

Sixteen years create so many memories.  We had to put our dog down a few summers ago at the age of seventeen.  At the time my wife and I had only been married 19 years so the dog was pretty much there with us for our entire time together.  I relived the moment in your words and I have nothing but the deepest sympathy. Remember her fondly.

38 minutes ago, josie said:

Niice.

Yeah that's one of the big reasons I went after this gig. Just being an illustrator does not get you stable employment, and this only happened because a friend worked there and knew I was capable of learning more stuff quickly. But if that can be my special weapon in an otherwise useful arsenal, I'll have a better shot at those real jobs. 

I've been teaching myself basics, html, java, css, scss, a touch of python here and there on codecademy (I tried ruby and my brain just shut down) but it's pretty much worthless until I actually have to make a project happen. We're all Wordpress and I am virtually an infant in terms of knowing what to do there. Bootstrap, widgets, etc... noooo clue. Don't even know what I don't know. But that'll have to change! 

The trouble is the people who can really teach me/walk me through the setups in place here are all leaving... 

CSS will be the key.  Ruby won't be all that important.  There are far too many web "developers" and not enough web "designers".  If you can master UI/UX and bring solid design decisions you'll be able to free lance like a maniac for all the developers who can't design anything to save their lives.

• Like (+1) 1