The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

All my dress socks are black. My dress shoes are also black. My belt is black but I stopped wearing a belt once I stopped tucking in my shirts. My slacks are all either black, navy blue, or gray. My work shirts (I probably have 10 or 12) are all short sleeve and some form of plaid and I do my best to match them with whatever pair of slacks works best with that particular plaid. It makes it easier to match. I don't think I've worn a tie since the last time I had a job interview which was almost 5 years ago.

So, starting a few days ago I have been getting pop up ads on my phone (BlackBerry Priv) running full android.

They freeze the phone and I can't get rid of them many times.  Sometimes I can.  Right now there is an ad on my screen and the phone is frozen.

Help.

And NO!! I have not installed nurses, or tried to uninstall them.

Taro,

I think you said that you have a Priv.  Anything like this happen to you?It seems that Google, which owns android has just started a thing called 'auto ads'.  Just shoot me now.

First off, pretty sure you need to install some legacy version nurses.

2nd, haven't had that issue yet, but battery life has been significantly reduced in the last month or so. Probably just the battery getting old.

Of course, I tend not to have photos embedded in e-mails open automatically either. Which might be why I haven't had your issue. Or it could be, and more likely is, luck that hasn't run out yet. ;)

First off, pretty sure you need to install some legacy version nurses.

2nd, haven't had that issue yet, but battery life has been significantly reduced in the last month or so. Probably just the battery getting old.

Of course, I tend not to have photos embedded in e-mails open automatically either. Which might be why I haven't had your issue. Or it could be, and more likely is, luck that hasn't run out yet. ;)

I will look into those legacy version nurses  :w00t:

My battery life is not what it used to be, as well.

This phone is mostly used for business, especially emails, so no photos in emails.  Many friends and I use What'sApp for sharing photos and videos.

I think it may be a matter of time for you, my friend, as it seems it is a Google thing.

Edited by N S

So, starting a few days ago I have been getting pop up ads on my phone (BlackBerry Priv) running full android.

They freeze the phone and I can't get rid of them many times.  Sometimes I can.  Right now there is an ad on my screen and the phone is frozen.

Help.

And NO!! I have not installed nurses, or tried to uninstall them.

Taro,

I think you said that you have a Priv.  Anything like this happen to you?

It seems that Google, which owns android has just started a thing called 'auto ads'.  Just shoot me now.

On my Android phones in the past, pop up adds could always be traced to some questionable app I installed in the past. Where did you hear about Google Auto Ads? A quick Google turns up nothing, and frankly I don't think Google would alienate their users quite that forceably. :)

Need some advice.  Every year my brother and I send funny/gag gifts to each other for our birthdays.  Last October on my b-day, my brother found the best gift in years, a Marty Moose Eggnogg glass that Clark Griswold drinks from in National Lampoon's Xmas vacation, its a thing of beauty.  

How can I top that?  Any inputs are greatly appreciated.  

Need some advice.  Every year my brother and I send funny/gag gifts to each other for our birthdays.  Last October on my b-day, my brother found the best gift in years, a Marty Moose Eggnogg glass that Clark Griswold drinks from in National Lampoon's Xmas vacation, its a thing of beauty.  

How can I top that?  Any inputs are greatly appreciated.  

Facebook stock.

I was listening to a public radio show called The Takeaway yesterday. They explained how you can download your Facebook data, which I did last night. Not much of a surprise until I saw a list of my contacts taken off of my cell phone. And the number of times I had contacted people. And a code for the ringtone I have for each contact. I was thrown off, because I couldn't make the connection between Facebook and my phone. I don't use the app. Except... one time I did download it on my phone, couldn't get it to work right and deleted it. Apparently I agreed to let Facebook see all my phone contacts, so my bad. See and store, in great detail. What on earth are they doing with all that personal data?

Anyone see Zuckerberg testifying before the Senate committee? Something's not right with that kid. He portrays Facebook as being so innocent and transparent. Users understand the terms of service and have total control over everything. OK, sure.

I was listening to a public radio show called The Takeaway yesterday. They explained how you can download your Facebook data, which I did last night. Not much of a surprise until I saw a list of my contacts taken off of my cell phone. And the number of times I had contacted people. And a code for the ringtone I have for each contact. I was thrown off, because I couldn't make the connection between Facebook and my phone. I don't use the app. Except... one time I did download it on my phone, couldn't get it to work right and deleted it. Apparently I agreed to let Facebook see all my phone contacts, so my bad. See and store, in great detail. What on earth are they doing with all that personal data?

Anyone see Zuckerberg testifying before the Senate committee? Something's not right with that kid. He portrays Facebook as being so innocent and transparent. Users understand the terms of service and have total control over everything. OK, sure.

Which is why some of us use extremely few apps. :p

Of course Zuckerberg portrayed Facebook as being innocent & transparent. He gains nothing by stating the obvious that Facebook's business model is to act as a factory converting Facebook Users (in all forms Facebook takes, check out the My One Buffalo App ;)) into actionable (read: monetizable) data streams. McRonald's converts cows into burgers; Facebook converts users into data.

Which is why some of us use extremely few apps. :P

Of course Zuckerberg portrayed Facebook as being innocent & transparent. He gains nothing by stating the obvious that Facebook's business model is to act as a factory converting Facebook Users (in all forms Facebook takes, check out the My One Buffalo App ;)) into actionable (read: monetizable) data streams. McRonald's converts cows into burgers; Facebook converts users into data.

McDonald's isn't a burger company; it's a real estate company.

What are they doing with that data? Well sharing it, of course. They sell it to everyone who wants it. Then they use it to tailor what advertising you see, what mail you get and that's just the easy stuff. People giving their finger prints to Samsung and Apple?! Are you fcuking nuts? People voluntarily sending their DNA to companies for heritage research? Yeah, sure.

We already self report everything that we're doing on social media, so government agencies don't even need to use the location data in our cell phones to track us. Not to mention the fact that we all tattle on everyone who ever said something bad, ever, so the government doesn't even need the wiretaps...sorry, I mean Alexa that everyone is voluntarily putting in their living rooms. Seriously, who bugs their own house?

The girl at the register at FYE asked for my phone number the other day. Get fcuked, sweetie.

They're gonna be chipping us like they do dogs in another 3 years. And we're going to volunteer for it.

Ok, too far down the rabbit hole. I'm going back to drinking.

Some would say both.

Yeah but I spent years in the franchising industry.

What are they doing with that data? Well sharing it, of course. They sell it to everyone who wants it. Then they use it to tailor what advertising you see, what mail you get and that's just the easy stuff. People giving their finger prints to Samsung and Apple?! Are you fcuking nuts? People voluntarily sending their DNA to companies for heritage research? Yeah, sure.

We already self report everything that we're doing on social media, so government agencies don't even need to use the location data in our cell phones to track us. Not to mention the fact that we all tattle on everyone who ever said something bad, ever, so the government doesn't even need the wiretaps...sorry, I mean Alexa that everyone is voluntarily putting in their living rooms. Seriously, who bugs their own house?

The girl at the register at FYE asked for my phone number the other day. Get fcuked, sweetie.

They're gonna be chipping us like they do dogs in another 3 years. And we're going to volunteer for it.

Ok, too far down the rabbit hole. I'm going back to drinking.

I wouldn't even give Radio Shack my phone number 25 years ago.  

McDonald's isn't a burger company; it's a real estate company.

Some would say both.

Yeah but I spent years in the franchising industry.

I wouldn't even give Radio Shack my phone number 25 years ago.  

no corporation is actually in the business of what they tell you they're in the business of, if you look far enough under the hood...