The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

December 6th will mark the 100th anniversary of our fine cities defining moment.  The Halifax Explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Interesting read (even if I only read the executive summary). I was trying to figure out what the ships were doing up in the basin as the docks are towards the ocean, but it looks like it was a staging area away from U-boats. It reminds me of Portsmouth Harbor in the UK; narrow inlet to a much larger bay/basin.

Also, if there hasn't been a number of Halifax <genre> Explosion band names, I'll be disappointed (genre = [blues, punk, folk, calypso, etc]).

The US Postal Service are a bunch of lazy . Two weeks ago they marked a package as "delivered" at our apartment and it definitely wasn't, and I can't get ANYTHING out of these people about the whereabouts of that package.

Then today they were supposed to deliver some Amazon packages to my office because I figure there's no way they can screw that up. NOPE. This carrier decided to tag them as having an incorrect address so I had to call and sit through their automated calling thing for 20 minutes so I could tell them to just leave my two packages at the Post Office since apparently delivering mail is MY JOB NOW. 

The US Postal Service are a bunch of lazy ######. Two weeks ago they marked a package as "delivered" at our apartment and it definitely wasn't, and I can't get ANYTHING out of these people about the whereabouts of that package.

Then today they were supposed to deliver some Amazon packages to my office because I figure there's no way they can screw that up. NOPE. This ###### carrier decided to tag them as having an incorrect address so I had to call and sit through their automated calling thing for 20 minutes so I could tell them to just leave my two packages at the Post Office since apparently delivering mail is MY JOB NOW. 

Yeah, that first package is mine... I finally decided to spend my hard earned and limited money on something for me, and of course it's long gone now. 

Hours of sitting on their damn horrible phone service, contacting them through twitter, harrassing any mailman I saw and the apartment office lady, no dice. 

Can't wait for all the gifts and such I ordered on black friday to never ever show up. 

The balls to mark the packages as having an incorrect address given that they deliver to this office building EVERY DAY. I can't even fathom it. 

No one rang the doorbell. No one left a note. Dude probably just forgot to bring the boxes in on his cart and didn't feel like walking back in. 

I debated putting this in the awesome thread, but I feel that, ultimately, it really means very little.

Not sure how I missed this, but I have had a lot to deal with lately (is it Thursday yet?).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mladic-srebrenica-war-crimes-verdict-1.4413527

I feel somewhat relieved and can understand the reactions of the widows and orphans, but this will not bring back their loved ones.  He has lived a full life since the war.

And there will likely be years of appeals.  Upon hearing that his appeal was overruled a convicted Bosnian Croat army officer committed suicide by drinking poison right in the court room.  Justice has not been served.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I have a temporary Amazon prime account for 30 days. I need a monitor for $140. It says I can apply and receive a rewards card worth $70 for my social and card number. 

How am I getting screwed here? Will it force me to keep my prime account?

Edit: It's a credit card. That's how

Edited by WildCard

I have a temporary Amazon prime account for 30 days. I need a monitor for $140. It says I can apply and receive a rewards card worth $70 for my social and card number

They are asking for your SS #?

Be very afraid!!

I have a temporary Amazon prime account for 30 days. I need a monitor for $140. It says I can apply and receive a rewards card worth $70 for my social and card number. 

If it's the Chase Amazon card it's not a bad deal. My girlfriend has one and because she's a Prime Member she get 5% back (in points that can be redeemed at any time) on all purchases she makes through Amazon that she charges to that card. I think non Prime Member still get 3% back on purchases made with the card. There's no annual fee and you get points on other places you use the card as well (gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, etc.).

This is coming from a guy that hates banks as well. I bank with credit unions only.

About to embark on a trip with my offspring to Chuck E. Cheese’s for a first grader’s birthday party. I would appreciate it if you could all keep me in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Pretty much this.

I made it out alive. Not as bad as I thought it would be. One thing did disturb me, and not in a “why are they doing this” sort of way, but a “why is humanity such utter garbage that they have to do this” sort of way. They have 1 entrance/exit point. Dudes posted each way. Going in you and any children with you get an invisible stamp on your arm. It’s a number sequence, and they change it every time. Coming out you and the kids have to put your arm under a blacklight to make sure the stamps match and you’re leaving with the same kids you showed up with. Smart, but makes me very sad for some reason.

My God.  We live in despicable times.  Of *course* it makes you sad.  It's horrible that there's a need to do this.

JESUS ###### CHRIST, HUMANITY.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/roanoke/police-investigating-attempted-abduction

Broke down and bought a half gallon cool mist humidifier for the office. I plopped it right on my desk and am determined to be a master of my personal bubble. 

I've been sick more since I started this office job about 3 years ago than I have ever been in my life. And when I get sick it takes me longer to recover. I used to get over colds in 4 days. I never got sick working in the factories and warehouses. Even in college when all I did was drink and smoke I never got sick more than once a year.

But this office is killing me. 

Alright, the Agatha Christie novel that is my local Chuck E. Cheese's comes to a phoned-in ending...

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/roanoke/no-attempted-abduction-at-roanoke-chuck-e-cheese-police-say

I was able to get the (full, unreported upon) story when I came in to work this morning. Everybody involved is an idiot. Carry on.