DIY Backyard Ice Rink

inkman

So in anticipation of my rug rat joining the ranks of the young ice hockey ranks, I'm building a rink in my back yard. I have most of the knowledge I'll need as I spied my buddy's rink building process. What I need from you guys is size. Right now I can comfortably fit a 60 × 40 foot rink in my backyard. A rink that size would seem ambitious but I dont want to have to buy a new tarp every other year as I keep expanding.

Im just wondering if i should start smaller.

You can, but you'll get to that size eventually. Not having to reconfigure which boards go where could very well make the time you spend setting up & taking down over the life of the rink less than it would be expanding it 2 or so times.

Plus, though smaller might work early for Calves Jr., if you decide to skate on it, you'll appreciate having the larger sheet.

So in anticipation of my rug rat joining the ranks of the young ice hockey ranks, I'm building a rink in my back yard. I have most of the knowledge I'll need as I spied my buddy's rink building process. What I need from you guys is size. Right now I can comfortably fit a 60 × 40 foot rink in my backyard. A rink that size would seem ambitious but I dont want to have to buy a new tarp every other year as I keep expanding.

Ever seen this?

http://www.polyglidesyntheticice.com/PolyGlide-Home-Series-p/synthetic-ice-100.htm

Dude, you're right around my age and have a toddler. Ambitious is your life for the next dozens of years. Go bigger. You could host old man hockey camp to help maintain the right amounts of beer/dad ratio that keeps things chugging along.

Once my skating surpasses drunk toddler stage, I plan on inviting sabrespacers over for a game of shinny. Thats probably a year or two away though.

Once my skating surpasses drunk toddler stage, I plan on inviting sabrespacers over for a game of shinny. Thats probably a year or two away though.

I haven't been in ice for many years now. I've been playing a bit on wheels. Had to lose the brakes though. I was fast n furious IIRC. I'm sure I'm not RC, but I'm in.

Sold... and depending on where in Fairport you are it might not even be a far drive.  I was going to put a big rink in my backyard but while coaching I am on the ice 3-5 times a week and there's just no time.  Plus I have a pretty good grade in the back that would require some work... it's easy to freeze 3-4 inches... not 12-14.

I made a backyard rink one year...just a great experience. However I live in Corning where it's generally 1-5 degrees warmer than Buffalo or Rochester and that actually makes a huge difference some winters on days available to skate. 

My only add from that experience is that leaves are your enemy. It seems non-intuitive but a brown leaf stuck to the ice on a sunny 25 degree day will burrow a 1/2" divot into your ice surface. The absorption of sunlight by the darker surface is really significant. Even colder days are not immune. 

Good luck, it's totally worth it. 

BIL does this every year, Ink. Number your boards & build a snow berm if you can. Or do like he did and incorporate the ice in to your landscaping

I have a relatively flat backyard so i think the landscape part is set. The snow berms might not be optional as i might have to snow blow my back yard to build it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ink, my buddy Joe and his wife just finished installing their rink again this year and they're right up the road from you. He's basically an expert on backyard rinks right now. If you want I could get you in touch with him on facebook or something.

I apologize for not taking you up on this. Somewhere between my pride and my weenie I decided not to.

This is exciting. How many people have wanted to do this?

Building a rink?

Have you ever considered an asphalt rink with a 2 inch curb all around? No need for a tarp liner. Just fill with water. (You do leave a drain hole in the corner that you plug.)

I need to find out if my kid likes hockey before that kind of commitment. Not to mention zoning crap I'd have to deal with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.