Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Buffalo (4) vs. Philly (5)

elcrusho

Well I guess I should pipe in with my pick.

I wrote a long analysis but realized I was repeating what most have already said. Here are some thoughts that I haven't seen many others express.

1. The Flyers? D is not entirely immobile, and their physical play could take some of the smallish Sabres off their game at times. The Sabres might have to play a more tenacious game, play out of character a bit, to get through the Eagles backfield.

2. In the most recent clash between the teams, at HSBC Arena a few weeks ago, with a postseason matchup between the teams at the time considered to be very likely, you could almost see Ken Hitchcock's blueprint for playoff success on display.

3. Home ice could work against Sabres early in the series. They?ll have some major butterflies and pressure to please the fans to deal with.

4. Expectations are high for the Flyers, who have disappointed their fans time and time again. Expectations are high for the Sabres, too, probably higher than they should be. But Philly is the team that?s more likely to choke. You have to like the mindset of the Sabres, who reconstructed their game during a late-season funk and came out smelling like roses. While the Sabres were at times emphasizing practices over winning games, the Flyers were making a mad dash for a division title, losing it literally in the final minutes of the season. Are they deflated, perhaps a bit worn down?

Outlook: Sabres play nervous and split the first two games at home. After a Game 3 loss in Philly, the Sabres rebound with their best showing of the series in a pivotal Game 4 to tie the series. After the Sabres take the lead in the series at home in Game 5, the Flyers gallantly tie it again back in Philly. But the momentum still resides with Buffalo, and Philly runs out of gas in Game 7. Don?t even think 8-0 again, but the Sabres win going away.

Let's go Buffalo!

The Flyers are looking like a frustrated team through 2 periods.....but we gotta keep up the tempo to get the win, obviously. We can out-skate this team throughout this series, IMO.

By the way, the non-calls are really pissing me off in this game...did you see Briere get absolutely mugged by Gauthier in the first period??? That was ridiculous.