Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Buffalo (4) vs. Philly (5)

elcrusho

Sabres powerplay, ranked third. Flyers penalty killing, ranked 27th. Conversely, Sabres allow second most shorthanded goals in the league while the flyers score the second most. guess we know where all the goals in this series are gonna come from. Fortunately that still tremendously favors us.

We just hope this series gets called right. If we get a fair number of power plays, we can beat the hell out of this team. I think down the stretch teams started to realize that we could pick them apart of the PP, and tried to isolate that threat by playing more conservatively.

j

If the clutching and grabbing/hooks are called, we take it in 5. Take the first two at home, lose game 3, win 4 & 5. Miller gets his first playoff shutout.

We'll probably go with two D on the PP, which will cut down the shorthanded chances.

I feel great about our chances in this series. I like Buffalo in 5. I just think we are head and shoulders above Philly. The last few games we really had nothing to play for, we were locked into the 4th playoff spot, yet we played with an intensity and hunger of a team that is not happy just to make the playoffs. Both our golies are in top form, we are scoring in bunches and we have tightened the "D".

did you guys read the TSN report? they say flyers could make it a real short series, but since forsberg is likely to miss a game or two, we might have a chance, though still losing in seven.

good golly. are these people on drugs? did they examine the standings, the season series, the special teams, the goaltending, or respective depth? yes, peter forsberg is better than our best player, but hell, thats about 5% of the game.

j

did you guys read the TSN report? they say flyers could make it a real short series, but since forsberg is likely to miss a game or two, we might have a chance, though still losing in seven.

good golly. are these people on drugs? did they examine the standings, the season series, the special teams, the goaltending, or respective depth? yes, peter forsberg is better than our best player, but hell, thats about 5% of the game.

j

Do you have a link? I couldn't find on TSN's page.

i think people should start to grab some of those avatars and show some playoff pride!!!!!!

players taken: roy, hecht, miller, drury, briere

I feel great about our chances in this series. I like Buffalo in 5. I just think we are head and shoulders above Philly. The last few games we really had nothing to play for, we were locked into the 4th playoff spot, yet we played with an intensity and hunger of a team that is not happy just to make the playoffs. Both our golies are in top form, we are scoring in bunches and we have tightened the "D".

you couldn't grab another players avatar, had to be hecht which is already picked?? lol

i think people should start to grab some of those avatars and show some playoff pride!!!!!!

players taken: roy, hecht, miller, drury, briere

you couldn't grab another players avatar, had to be hecht which is already picked?? lol

He has become my favorite Sabre this year. I like his gritty style of play and seems to make things happen when he is on the ice.

In reading the Philadelphia coverage, it is really clear that they are putting all of their hopes in Peter Forsberg and that they don't have the slightest chance without him. It would seem like the thing to do the first two games in buffalo is to keep Drury and Grier on the ice everytime he is and just pound away on him and see if you can keep him out of games 3 and 4. I know it really isn't Buffalo's style, but I can't see giving him a hall pass and letting him play. If he keeps getting lined up, it certainly will wear him down.

In reading the Philadelphia coverage, it is really clear that they are putting all of their hopes in Peter Forsberg and that they don't have the slightest chance without him. It would seem like the thing to do the first two games in buffalo is to keep Drury and Grier on the ice everytime he is and just pound away on him and see if you can keep him out of games 3 and 4. I know it really isn't Buffalo's style, but I can't see giving him a hall pass and letting him play. If he keeps getting lined up, it certainly will wear him down.

Ruff really hasn't tried to match lines too much this year, and I don't think he should start now. If we try and match lines, we can't roll 4 lines. I think rolling 4 lines is going to be a huge advantage throughout the series, especially late in games, and late in the series if it goes 6 or 7.

Breakin it down:

Start in Goal: Miller is a better goaltender by far than Esche or Niittymaki, the only X factor being his playoff aura. Esche has more experience, and some success here, and I wouldn't be that surprised if he could come out and stonewall the Sabres in a game or two. That said, momentum, in my opinion, is worth as much as experience, considering how in the past two playoffs we've seen no name goalies cary their teams to the finals. Miller is playing his best hockey of the year right now and should be able to carry that over. Esche and Niittymake, conversely, have neither momentum nor even a go-to guy. If Miller seriously outplays the Flyers goaltending tandem in this series, a sweep is even possible.

Defense: I think the size and slowness of Philedelphia's defense gets overplayed, and it will seem especially so if Hitchcock (as I expect) coaches the team to play a very conservative game that neutralizes the rush. That said, we should still be able to buzz a little bit in their zone, and our success will probably largely depend on how well the Flyers study out our creative players (Max, Briere, Roy) so as to anticipate them. Pitkanen is also one of the best scoring defensemen in the league, 46 points in 58 games. He'll give us a lot to handle in the offensive zone aside from the Forseberg line. Comparing the two defenses, I haven't been too impressed with Buffalo's D all year. We can rush and score, but as for shutting an opponent down, I don't think we can. Even our recent stretch of low goals against is mostly, in my mind, due to the goaltending. I expect the Flyers top line to do some considerable damage in this series, but after that line, I don't know who else will pick up the ball.

Forwards: Like I say, its all about Forsberg, Gagne, Knuble. I think this might be one of the top five or seven most dangerous lines in the playoffs, so I don't know to what extent we want to really just roll lines. In Philedelphia, where the Flyers will have the last change, I think we're going to have to try to match against at least that one line, because if Hitchcock matches Forsberg against Vanek abnd Pominville all game they'll eat us alive. Drury might even find himself comfortable and effective in his traditional role as a checking line center, and Grier, who lacks some of the speed of our other forwards, may be just as well in the defensive role rather than putting him up against Philly's D size for size. Jochen should have a standout series playing both ends.

I think the series will come down to special teams. We can frustrate PHilly's D, and if Bettman is true to his word and games get called right, our powerplay will devour Philly's penalty killers.

Ultimately, if our powerplay and goaltending are up to snuff, I see this series being Buffalo's in five, leaving us some good rest before we take on the conferences real elite in the next two rounds.

j

Breakin it down:

Start in Goal: Miller is a better goaltender by far than Esche or Niittymaki, the only X factor being his playoff aura. Esche has more experience, and some success here, and I wouldn't be that surprised if he could come out and stonewall the Sabres in a game or two. That said, momentum, in my opinion, is worth as much as experience, considering how in the past two playoffs we've seen no name goalies cary their teams to the finals. Miller is playing his best hockey of the year right now and should be able to carry that over. Esche and Niittymake, conversely, have neither momentum nor even a go-to guy. If Miller seriously outplays the Flyers goaltending tandem in this series, a sweep is even possible.

Defense: I think the size and slowness of Philedelphia's defense gets overplayed, and it will seem especially so if Hitchcock (as I expect) coaches the team to play a very conservative game that neutralizes the rush. That said, we should still be able to buzz a little bit in their zone, and our success will probably largely depend on how well the Flyers study out our creative players (Max, Briere, Roy) so as to anticipate them. Pitkanen is also one of the best scoring defensemen in the league, 46 points in 58 games. He'll give us a lot to handle in the offensive zone aside from the Forseberg line. Comparing the two defenses, I haven't been too impressed with Buffalo's D all year. We can rush and score, but as for shutting an opponent down, I don't think we can. Even our recent stretch of low goals against is mostly, in my mind, due to the goaltending. I expect the Flyers top line to do some considerable damage in this series, but after that line, I don't know who else will pick up the ball.

Forwards: Like I say, its all about Forsberg, Gagne, Knuble. I think this might be one of the top five or seven most dangerous lines in the playoffs, so I don't know to what extent we want to really just roll lines. In Philedelphia, where the Flyers will have the last change, I think we're going to have to try to match against at least that one line, because if Hitchcock matches Forsberg against Vanek abnd Pominville all game they'll eat us alive. Drury might even find himself comfortable and effective in his traditional role as a checking line center, and Grier, who lacks some of the speed of our other forwards, may be just as well in the defensive role rather than putting him up against Philly's D size for size. Jochen should have a standout series playing both ends.

I think the series will come down to special teams. We can frustrate PHilly's D, and if Bettman is true to his word and games get called right, our powerplay will devour Philly's penalty killers.

Ultimately, if our powerplay and goaltending are up to snuff, I see this series being Buffalo's in five, leaving us some good rest before we take on the conferences real elite in the next two rounds.

j

I think the Sabres will pretty much roll lines, but will attempt to avoid putting the Connolly line against Forsberg's. Drury's line and Briere's line can definitely hold their own with the Forsberg line and I think Gaustad and Pominville are solid enough to withstand the odd shift here or there against THE line.

Where you will see matchups will be with the Sabres avoiding putting Campbell on the ice against that line even strength. My guess is Tallinder and Lydman are the 1st choice to match up against Forsberg with McKee and Kalinin the next pair. If Kalinin has major issues in his own end, Lindy might swap McKee's and Numminen's roles and have Numminen and Campbell be the second pair against Forsberg; but if we get to that point, the Sabres could be in trouble. Also, McKee's shot blocking will be a huge plus against that line.

I think the Sabres will pretty much roll lines, but will attempt to avoid putting the Connolly line against Forsberg's. Drury's line and Briere's line can definitely hold their own with the Forsberg line and I think Gaustad and Pominville are solid enough to withstand the odd shift here or there against THE line.

Where you will see matchups will be with the Sabres avoiding putting Campbell on the ice against that line even strength. My guess is Tallinder and Lydman are the 1st choice to match up against Forsberg with McKee and Kalinin the next pair. If Kalinin has major issues in his own end, Lindy might swap McKee's and Numminen's roles and have Numminen and Campbell be the second pair against Forsberg; but if we get to that point, the Sabres could be in trouble. Also, McKee's shot blocking will be a huge plus against that line.

I agree. While it might seem counterintuitive to not try and match up lines, we gotta go with the system that got us here. If the Flyers shorten up their bench, then they are going to have fatigued slower players on the ice. Our ability to roll 4 lines is our edge over most teams. We need to use it.

A while ago, I heard the weather woman on Channel 7 give the forecast for the game.

Before that, when the Campbell's Soup commercial came on, I had my own lyrics for that catchy song... Campbell on the rush... possibilities.... Campbell has it at the point, possibilitieeeeeeees.

I need this series to begin ASAP.

Oh yeah, Captain Kangaroo seemed a little prickly when asked about the Sabres' speed. He says his team is fast in its own right and claims that "team speed" is the most overrated thing in sports.

A while ago, I heard the weather woman on Channel 7 give the forecast for the game.

Before that, when the Campbell's Soup commercial came on, I had my own lyrics for that catchy song... Campbell on the rush... possibilities.... Campbell has it at the point, possibilitieeeeeeees.

I need this series to begin ASAP.

Oh yeah, Captain Kangaroo seemed a little prickly when asked about the Sabres' speed. He says his team is fast in its own right and claims that "team speed" is the most overrated thing in sports.

Yeah, when your team doesn't possess something, having it is necessarily "overrated".

I'm getting so psyched for tonight...however, has anyone else thought about some possible rust (on both teams) for the first few shifts tonight? Or will adrenaline simply carry everyone through?

- Few Things To Watch For Tonight -

When the Sabres struggle, I feel you notice it most in their passing...it's simply not crisp.

When the team is "ON" passes are right on the tape and their transition game is outstanding. Usually the nights when the passing is sloppy, it comes after a stretch of no practices...which shouldn't be the case tonight, as I imagine they've been able to get some good work in these last few days.

When the club is playing well the Sabres clear their own zone surprisingly quickly. Think back to the last 4-5 games, vs MON, OTT, TOR, CAR...all those teams were pretty much getting just one shot off per rush/posession before the puck was cleared or picked off by a backchecking forward. If Philly is able to start establishing a forecheck tonight and is getting multiple shots and scoring chances each shift, that's when it's obvious the Sabres are on their game.

Finally, as everyone has noted...SPECIAL TEAMS, SPECIAL TEAMS, SPECIAL TEAMS.

Looking at the stats from last night's games, all the games were called pretty evenly, and featured penalties right up into the 3rd period. I feel this is a good sign for the Sabres.

One interesting note however, no penalties were called during any of the OT periods last night...