Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Buffalo (4) vs. Philly (5)

elcrusho

Sabres win this series. I've been a little down on the team lately - for good reason - but I still say they find a way, in 6 games to win.

Look at the way the rest of the play-offs may go and things get interesting.

Let's say it's TB-Ott, NJ-NYR, and Mtl-Car

I could really see seeds 6,7 and 8 winning their series. I don't like Buffalo against NJ, Ott and Carolina. I'd take my chances with any other team.

Yep....

Start the official thread now...

There is only a two point differential between the Rangers and the Flyers and they have 2 more games against each other. It could just as easily be the Rangers we end up playing in the 1st round.

but everybody knows that we want to see the flyers. nobody enjoys playing Jagr in the playoffs just cause hes such a limp noodle (most of the time)....and ny won again tonight, looks better and better all the time.

i say buffalo takes this one in seven. id say six (it sounds like such a safe guess) but i think this team likes to play too close to the edge. the cardiac kids don't know how to suffocate a team from beginning to end and take a series in stride. but we sure know how to pull the game out of our .

j

but everybody knows that we want to see the flyers. nobody enjoys playing Jagr in the playoffs just cause hes such a limp noodle (most of the time)....and ny won again tonight, looks better and better all the time.

i say buffalo takes this one in seven. id say six (it sounds like such a safe guess) but i think this team likes to play too close to the edge. the cardiac kids don't know how to suffocate a team from beginning to end and take a series in stride. but we sure know how to pull the game out of our .

j

I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, they have been the cardiac kids this year, and no, they have not buried teams early. But they've played VERY few 60 minutes games too.

I don't expect them to lay up and take shifts off like they have. And if they do that, Philly will be toast in 6, maybe even 5.

There is only a two point differential between the Rangers and the Flyers and they have 2 more games against each other. It could just as easily be the Rangers we end up playing in the 1st round.

Philly only has a 4 point lead over Jersey (with 1 game in hand and 2 games against Jersey). They have (on paper) a much easier schedule than NJ does (games remaining against TO, the Pens, and at the Isles to close the season), but considering how much I don't want to play NJ and considering that if NJ sweeps them and Buffalo wins tomorrow it becomes who will win more of their 4 remaining games; I am nervous about that one.

Not nervous enough to think that Jersey will catch them, but nervous enough that I was ticked when Pittsburgh blew the game on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Three things (at least) that I'm worried about:

1. That fat bastard Ken Hitchcock. That's one helluva coach.

2. Young nerves in Game 1. All the pressure is on the Sabres to entertain the fans, and they are expected to win. After winning here recently, Philly has to love the idea of opening on the road.

3. The crowd in Philly can be intimidating. The same can't be said about the nice folks in Buffalo.

I believe we will see Esche in net to start for the Cryers. I don't think that this will last more than 2 games if the sabres can skate like we know they can.

Ken scares me too as well as that @#&^% bobby clark. I can see them "stealing" away at least one game when the refs put away the whistle and revert back to the old style of the NHL.

If the sabres can skate and get behind the slow Cryer defense (Hatcher is slow as hell now) the sabres should win in 6 games.

Just listened to Lindy on sabres.com. He said he expects Hecht to be back for game 1. If Hecht is back 100%, that's a very solid addition to our lineup. I'm guessing our lines will be:

Briere-Hecht-Dumont

Connolly-Max-Kotalik

Drury-Grier-Roy

Gaustad-Pominville-Vanek/Pyatt

Separately, Miller will be the man during the playoffs, and I think this is the right decision, but that was a pretty GD strong game Marty turned in last night.

Prediction: we will beat Philly in 5 IF Miller plays well AND the refs call the games like they did in the regular season. If either of those 2 factors is off, we could be in trouble. My official prediction is that both of those factors go our way and we beat Philly in 5.

Another prediction: those who are predicting TB beats Ottawa are kidding themselves. Ottawa will win in 4 or 5. Carolina, on the other hand, looks somewhat vulnerable, but I still think they'll beat Montreal in 5 or 6.

Holy mackarel I'm psyched.

Go Sabres.

From Yahoo's latest power rankings:

9. Philadelphia Flyers (45-26-11; Previous: 9) – Best case: Coach Ken Hitchcock's decision to start Robert Esche in goal doesn't backfire, Peter Forsberg stays healthy and this team makes the run everyone expected in October. Worst Case: The goalie controversy won't go away, injuries bite again and Buffalo continues its regular-season dominance over the Flyers. Reality: The goalie situation is a mess, and Forsberg can't be counted on to stay in the lineup. Getting past Buffalo is a longshot.

Telling it like it is :D