Stand up comedy

drnkirishone

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Jerry Seinfeld, who also is not a "push the envelope" guy, has expressed similar sentiments.

Yep. I have a niece at a well-known northeastern liberal arts college. She serves on their Stu-Co. They had a big chunk of cash to spend on various events. She related in disbelief how they couldn’t many well-known comics (including Seinfeld), even though they could pay the advertised rate.

This doesn’t change the fact that CK might be a craven money-grubbing Trumpist-pandering arsehole, btw. I’m not sure where he’s headed.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yep. I have a niece at a well-known northeastern liberal arts college. She serves on their Stu-Co. They had a big chunk of cash to spend on various events. She related in disbelief how they couldn’t many well-known comics (including Seinfeld), even though they could pay the advertised rate.

This doesn’t change the fact that CK might be a craven money-grubbing Trumpist-pandering arsehole, btw. I’m not sure where he’s headed.

This doesn't seem necessary or for that matter relevant to the conversation or anything other than gratuitious.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This doesn't seem necessary or for that matter relevant to the conversation or anything other than gratuitious.

Not so.

Did you listen to the leaked audio?

Whether CK intended it or not, there were some clearly audible hoots and hollers from the crowd that belonged to voices readily identifiable as the sort who are among Trump’s base. One guy in the crowd — re the Parkland activists — said something like “yeeeeeah - eff them.” The vibe was unmistakable, imo. [I acknowledge this is “imo” in nature. But it’s a good faith take.]

I am holding to the belief that CK wants nothing to do with that crowd. But the guy has always been very money savvy and money motivated. It’s possible that he sees a market opportunity.

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not so.

Did you listen to the leaked audio?

Whether CK intended it or not, there were some clearly audible hoots and hollers from the crowd that belonged to voices readily identifiable as the sort who are among Trump’s base. One guy in the crowd — re the Parkland activists — said something like “yeeeeeah - eff them.” The vibe was unmistakable, imo. 

I am holding to the belief that CK wants nothing to do with that crowd. But the guy has always been very money savvy and money motivated. It’s possible that he sees a market opportunity. 

We're having a conversation about how comedians are pushing back against PC orthodoxy/censorship -- and your posts indicate support for the push-back.  Does that make you a "Trumpist?"

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe scroll upthread? The conversation started about CK specifically. He’s presenting an interesting and complicated situation.

I generally distrust orthodoxies of all kinds. Trumpism is among the very worst of them.

And I'll in turn invite you to recall (but not re-read, unless you have a masochistic streak) the frequent and unpleasant imbroglios on this board about political discussions, and the agreed solution of keeping them in the politics club.  A key component of that solution was, for parties on all sides, forbearance from indulging in taking periodic shots at the other side outside of the politics club.

Put more plainly:  you may feel that "Trumpism = evil/stupid/racist/etc."  You are entitled to your opinion.  But it is offensive and inflammatory to those who don't hold that opinion to keep throwing it in everyone's face.  That's what the politics club is for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.