Stand up comedy

drnkirishone

I'd watch you.

I have a really complicated relationship with stand up. I generally avoid live stand up like it's the plague. 

I've seen a couple decent sets, but more often than not, it turns into "audience participation" and I get roasted. I hate it. Getting blasted multiple times as "gotta suck to be the ugly third wheel when you work with her" at a work outing in front of my boss/everyone (I was sitting with my friends, a couple, and guy was just on and on about my attractive coworker) by a sweaty schlub on cocaine was kind of the last straw. Haven't gone out for it since. I'm apparently really great for "you must have a great personality, eh?" kinda jokes. Has happened a few different times. I must have a target on my head. Like, I get it, I'm a 5 on your scale, f*** off. I don't take well to teasing. 

Screw that kind of humor. It's not even smart. In a similar vein- I can't stand that Jeselnik guy. It's not that I am offended by him- it's that he's Scorch the Earth predictable. Mention a topic, I know exactly what horrible/shocking thing he has for the punch line. Not creative, gets boring fast. 

Izzard, Craig Ferguson, some classic Robin Williams, some Hedburg once in a while, a little Nick Offerman, George Carlin, old school Eddie Murphy- some good stuff. 

Trying to find a female comedian I like. I hate that I don't have one. Always similar material about being fat, high school reunions, lady bits. I agree with the post upthread about Lampanelli being a great one time act.

Does Kristen Schall count? Her and Kurt Braunohler are great together. 

Kristen Schaal totally counts. 

There's nothing I would recommend more.

I'd watch you.

I have a really complicated relationship with stand up. I generally avoid live stand up like it's the plague. 

I've seen a couple decent sets, but more often than not, it turns into "audience participation" and I get roasted. I hate it. Getting blasted multiple times as "gotta suck to be the ugly third wheel when you work with her" at a work outing in front of my boss/everyone (I was sitting with my friends, a couple, and guy was just on and on about my attractive coworker) by a sweaty schlub on cocaine was kind of the last straw. Haven't gone out for it since. I'm apparently really great for "you must have a great personality, eh?" kinda jokes. Has happened a few different times. I must have a target on my head. Like, I get it, I'm a 5 on your scale, f*** off. I don't take well to teasing. 

Screw that kind of humor. It's not even smart. In a similar vein- I can't stand that Jeselnik guy. It's not that I am offended by him- it's that he's Scorch the Earth predictable. Mention a topic, I know exactly what horrible/shocking thing he has for the punch line. Not creative, gets boring fast. 

Izzard, Craig Ferguson, some classic Robin Williams, some Hedburg once in a while, a little Nick Offerman, George Carlin, old school Eddie Murphy- some good stuff. 

Trying to find a female comedian I like. I hate that I don't have one. Always similar material about being fat, high school reunions, lady bits. I agree with the post upthread about Lampanelli being a great one time act.

Does Kristen Schall count? Her and Kurt Braunohler are great together. 

Maybe someday I'll give it a try. I would definitely not tell anyone about it until it was over, though, haha.

And I promise to never do any audience participation stuff if I do. I hate that.

She is in my top-5.  Saw her a few months ago here in Nashville at Zanies. Clean comedy for the most part... and really funny.

I'm not real big on the PG stuff, but she somehow manages to make it funny. I have a feeling she gets pretty obnoxious and obscene away from the stage, lol. 

Maybe someday I'll give it a try. I would definitely not tell anyone about it until it was over, though, haha.

And I promise to never do any audience participation stuff if I do. I hate that.

Watching my old room mate Al become a stand up comedian was eye opening. You really have to sit down and remind yourself that the things you and your friends think are hilarious might not be funny to anyone ever. And then you go from there.  :lol:

Watching my old room mate Al become a stand up comedian was eye opening. You really have to sit down and remind yourself that the things you and your friends think are hilarious might not be funny to anyone ever. And then you go from there.  :lol:

Also- never live with a stand up comedian or someone whose bf is... you'll always be worried you'll become their material... 

That summarises my life in just a few minutes.

The very end is the exact reaction that occurs in my house every single time there is a knock on the door after the sun goes down. I mean, exactly the same!

Same thing when the phone rings now. I remember as a kid I would sprint to the phone from anywhere in the house and get it in less than 2 rings! Never know, could be for me. Then when it wasn't, I would scream the name of the person who it was for. And I mean scream. I'd scream like we lived in a wear house that stretched out over a mile. Now, the phone rings and I just get pissed. Who the is this, and why aren't they texting me?

Surprised to see the Stanhope love. Didn't think his material was that accessible to most.

I loved that Louie episode where he guested, essentially as himself. Amazing tragio-comedy material.

I thereafter tried to take a dive into his material - not quite to my taste (maybe a bit too dark?).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.