OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

On 7/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, ubkev said:

Betcha every state west of Kansas bursts into flames over the next 3 days. That's weather, right?

We've had a few wild fires in north Texas already.  Fortunately they've been in sparsely populated areas.

• 1 month later...

Figured I would put this here. If these are the summers we can expect from now on, i feel like i have to do my part and just can’t justify a lawn anymore.

Does anyone have experience with a clover lawn? Seriously thinking of changing my yard over.

Edited by SwampD

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Figured I would put this here. If these are the summers we can expect from now on, i feel like i have to do my part and just can’t justify a lawn anymore.

Does anyone have experience with a clover lawn? Seriously thinking of changing my yard over.

I tried one a while back.  I failed.  I also can kill a bamboo plant just by trying to care for it.  I do NOT have a green thumb.  I think clover lawns look awesome, though (which is why I tried it), so I encourage you.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yes white clover is easy to seed into a grass lawn in the spring (not straight clover but a mix).  Much easier to start than grass seed so nice for bare spots.  Typically stays green longer in the summer without extra water and fertilizer, soft on the feet to walk on.  Cut it a bit higher in the summer months.  No complaints from my experience. 

Clover gets criticized by some as a weed that infests a lawn but I never saw it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Digger said:

Yes white clover is easy to seed into a grass lawn in the spring (not straight clover but a mix).  Much easier to start than grass seed so nice for bare spots.  Typically stays green longer in the summer without extra water and fertilizer, soft on the feet to walk on.  Cut it a bit higher in the summer months.  No complaints from my experience. 

Clover gets criticized by some as a weed that infests a lawn but I never saw it that way.

I like it too but need to be careful as it attracts more bees and I am allergic to stings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Hope you are safe. That was quite the storm. Stay safe.

I see 80% of Nova Scotia and 90% of Prince Edward Island are without power., more than half a million customers. I am on standby to head that way for power restoration efforts. The local utIlities are not out assessing damage yet, still too stormy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, LGR4GM said:

Yup

On 9/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, Digger said:

I hope that you're doing okay with the preparations for this storm @Sabres Fan in NS.  You have my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us updated when you can.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, SwampD said:

On 9/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, French Collection said:

Hope you are safe. That was quite the storm. Stay safe.

I see 80% of Nova Scotia and 90% of Prince Edward Island are without power., more than half a million customers. I am on standby to head that way for power restoration efforts. The local utIlities are not out assessing damage yet, still too stormy.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:24 PM, Taro T said:

Hoping you & yours made it through safely & with no property damage.

Stay safe my friend.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:03 AM, LTS said:

Was reading stuff this morning all over the Internet and wanted to drop in and add to the well wishes.

Brutal storm.

On 9/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, dudacek said:

Hope all is well, @Sabres Fan in NS

Thanks all.

NS reporting for duty !!

We lived to tell about it.

We (collectively and relatively) in the Halifax area were very lucky that Fiona hit a bit further north east ... pretty much smack on the Canso Causway that links Cape Breton to mainland NS and point north east.  Pictou County, PEI and the south west of NL are destroyed.  Houses with people in them swept put to sea on Port-aux-Basque, NL ... one woman was rescued a second was recovered yesterday.

We had power back on about 24 hours after the storm.  Many others are still out even in other parts of Halifax area.  Forget about CB and Pictou County.

And spare me with this post-tropical nonsense.  Call it what you want, but when Fiona came ashore it was packing sustained winds of 100 miles / hour + it's a ***** hurricane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Thanks all.

NS reporting for duty !!

We lived to tell about it.

We (collectively and relatively) in the Halifax area were very lucky that Fiona hit a bit further north east ... pretty much smack on the Canso Causway that links Cape Breton to mainland NS and point north east.  Pictou County, PEI and the south west of NL are destroyed.  Houses with people in them swept put to sea on Port-aux-Basque, NL ... one woman was rescued a second was recovered yesterday.

We had power back on about 24 hours after the storm.  Many others are still out even in other parts of Halifax area.  Forget about CB and Pictou County.

And spare me with this post-tropical nonsense.  Call it what you want, but when Fiona came ashore it was packing sustained winds of 100 miles / hour + it's a ***** hurricane.

Glad to hear your update and that you're doing okay.  The pictures have shown a huge amount of damage in some areas and I can't imagine the work that it will take to get things functional again.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Glad to hear your update and that you're doing okay.  The pictures have shown a huge amount of damage in some areas and I can't imagine the work that it will take to get things functional again.  

I’m on my way to help with power restoration. It sounds like there is not enough equipment and hardware to replace what’s been damaged. It may take a while to get enough poles, insulators, transformers and conductor from suppliers.

The only positive I can think of is that it is not winter so people won’t freeze. The ice storm of 1998 was scary, mid January.

• Thanks (+1) 2