OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

Somewhat related to the weather....

The sites we use to check the weather. I use a couple, but for quick and easy access to a basic forecast and conditioins, I always used Weather.com.  Simple easy to read current conditions, hour by hour, and 10 day forecast. The site (and app for that matter) have gotten AWFUL in the past couple of months.  For years it had a few adds on the page but nothing too intrusive.  Just in the past little while, the ads are still there, but pop ups all over the place.  Want to check the daily or hour by hour, pop ups. Done with one and want to go to another? Full page pop up.  AND they slow the site down on top of being annoying.

Its not just the pop ups..but the 'pop ins'.  You scroll down to see a certain forcast, get ready to click on it, and the second you click on it what you WANTED to click on now moves down the page or right off the page, replaced with adds where it used to be.  Then there are pop ups that block the entire screen. There are video ads that pop into the corner of the screen not blocking anything but playing sound and video. And these are the ones that you standard 'pop up' blocker doesn't take care of, many of them  are integrated right into the site.

It is amazing the site and app had ads for year and years that I assume they made money off of, but someone decided to go crazy with extra adds that block the very thing you come to the site for, and it, for me, is almost become un-usable.

Edited by mjd1001

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Somewhat related to the weather....

The sites we use to check the weather. I use a couple, but for quick and easy access to a basic forecast and conditioins, I always used Weather.com.  Simple easy to read current conditions, hour by hour, and 10 day forecast. The site (and app for that matter) have gotten AWFUL in the past couple of months.  For years it had a few adds on the page but nothing too intrusive.  Just in the past little while, the ads are still there, but pop ups all over the place.  Want to check the daily or hour by hour, pop ups. Done with one and want to go to another? Full page pop up.  AND they slow the site down on top of being annoying.

Its not just the pop ups..but the 'pop ins'.  You scroll down to see a certain forcast, get ready to click on it, and the second you click on it what you WANTED to click on now moves down the page or right off the page, replaced with adds where it used to be.  Then there are pop ups that block the entire screen. There are video ads that pop into the corner of the screen not blocking anything but playing sound and video. And these are the ones that you standard 'pop up' blocker doesn't take care of, many of them  are integrated right into the site.

It is amazing the site and app had ads for year and years that I assume they made money off of, but someone decided to go crazy with extra adds that block the very thing you come to the site for, and it, for me, is almost become un-usable.

Totally agree. I've switched to the local cable news weather app. Way better.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

The older I get the more I appreciate the warm summer months.  

Hey, you should be fishing on the lake. 

Walleye in the freezer.  Its ***** hot on the lake now.  It’s margarita and a breeze time.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah we know.  You like it at the extremes.  Nuuk in January?  The center of the Sahara?  Sign you right up.

I'm writing for normal people though.

Ouch, 

Hello angry eleven, a little aggressive today eh? 

I don't always love the extremes, although Nuuk in January sounds amazing for aurora viewing 😁

We get like 6 months of winter here, I'll gladly take a few days of extreme heat as it never lasts that long. 

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

The older I get the more I appreciate the warm summer months.  

My wife and I have diverged on weather.  I’ve hit the point where December through March is enough for me to tolerate and accept days like today and almost force myself to find comfort in them.  I’ll sit outside, damn it, because I remember what it’s like to sit inside while there is snow on the ground.  My wife, however, is not amused and does not tolerate hot weather well.

She’s in the air conditioning.  I’m in the shade making the most of it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ouch, 

Hello angry eleven, a little aggressive today eh? 

I don't always love the extremes, although Nuuk in January sounds amazing for aurora viewing 😁

We get like 6 months of winter here, I'll gladly take a few days of extreme heat as it never lasts that long. 

But you LIKE the winter.  You bury your beard in the snow and stuff.  Weirdo.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I am weird as F 😂😂 but that doesn't mean I like this vast tundra. I just learned winter sports to help it along a little 😂😂

Agreed.  Taking in interest in winter activities helps the winter along. 

19 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Agreed.  Taking in interest in winter activities helps the winter along. 

Just wait until August, when we get some photos of @Wyldnwoody44 in an Antarctic midwinter with icicles in his hair and some sort of yak-like animal with a Sabres blanket on its back.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 3