OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I shot this video of a spinning circle of ice in a local creek yesterday. Although it seems people can create these with chainsaws on thicker ice, I don't see any way this one was done by humans. This has got to be old Mother Nature. If you google around, you'll see stories about naturally occurring ice circles. This is probably the most interesting thing I've seen in nature, and that includes an osprey that sat in a tree above my nephew waiting for the right moment to swoop down and steal the fish off his line. I was absolutely mesmerized by this sight.

Very cool.

If you look really closely you can just glimpse that pesky Beaver spinning it.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:33 AM, PASabreFan said:

I shot this video of a spinning circle of ice in a local creek yesterday. Although it seems people can create these with chainsaws on thicker ice, I don't see any way this one was done by humans. This has got to be old Mother Nature. If you google around, you'll see stories about naturally occurring ice circles. This is probably the most interesting thing I've seen in nature, and that includes an osprey that sat in a tree above my nephew waiting for the right moment to swoop down and steal the fish off his line. I was absolutely mesmerized by this sight.

They showed a video like this on the news down here earlier in the winter.  It must have been that one in Maine that you mentioned.  It was a very rare moment where the news was actually informative.  The weather woman pretty quickly explained exactly what was happening.  All I know is that it makes me think of the bed on Austin Powers' plane.

6 hours ago, shrader said:

They showed a video like this on the news down here earlier in the winter.  It must have been that one in Maine that you mentioned.  It was a very rare moment where the news was actually informative.  The weather woman pretty quickly explained exactly what was happening.  All I know is that it makes me think of the bed on Austin Powers' plane.

Those things aren’t real you know...PA and his bored band of crop circle makers have turned their keen eye to the ice....a devoted little gang they are, but don’t be fooled...you fool..?

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

Those things aren’t real you know...PA and his bored band of crop circle makers have turned their keen eye to the ice....a devoted little gang they are, but don’t be fooled...you fool..?

I'm currently busy looking out the window at a bunch of chem trails all while sipping on a glass of fluoridated water.  What were you saying again?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the last ten and a half months, we're closing in on 80" of rain. 2" so far today with no end in sight. Almost a half foot this week. The yard is completely saturated. All time records have been set. Granted, I love the rain but I never saw these kind of totals in 20+ years in South Florida, one of the rainiest places in the country. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

• 10 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

In the last ten and a half months, we're closing in on 80" of rain. 2" so far today with no end in sight. Almost a half foot this week. The yard is completely saturated. All time records have been set. Granted, I love the rain but I never saw these kind of totals in 20+ years in South Florida, one of the rainiest places in the country. 

Any amateur meteorologists on here?  Sounds like we will be getting some nasty ***** in WNY over the next couple of days.  The last time they called for one to two feet was Snowvember if memory serves me correctly.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ugh, Ive got to cross the Ontario penninsula, from Detroit to Buffalo tomorrow AM in yhis weather.  I’m envisioning an 8+hr ride.

Wait, you're *driving* in it?  At least you're on the better side of the lake, I guess?

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

I usually cross at Lewiston but I’ll cross wherever the storm lets me.

Or I stay in Detroit another day.....

I'm sure when you said Buffalo you meant Buffalo but some people say Buffalo as a general area.  If your destination is north of Buffalo then your best bet is Lewiston or Rainbow when weather is an issue.  Good luck.  

42 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I'm sure when you said Buffalo you meant Buffalo but some people say Buffalo as a general area.  If your destination is north of Buffalo then your best bet is Lewiston or Rainbow when weather is an issue.  Good luck.  

Ultimately I’ll be east of Buffalo.

The stretch between Sarnia and London was sketchy as hell.  The highway was glazed over badly in many spots.  Lots of tractor trailers off the road.  At one point I noticed it was all truck traffic and virtually no passenger cars.  I suspect the natives knew something I didn't and stayed off that highway.

All's well that ends well.  I'm home in one piece.

• Like (+1) 6

Not exactly weather, but close enough. I was out in the great wide open last night. The wind had blown all the clouds off and I looked up to see a crystal clear crescent Moon and right next to is was Venus shining clear as can be. So that was pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 2