OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

• 2 weeks later...

This sucks........ or blows........ depending on your perspective. So far, one 40' "property boundary" pine tree blown over. But I still have power, and nothing has come through the roof yet. There's some pretty cool video of the ice being pushed to the E end of Lake Erie/Upper Niagara River, and being piled up on shore....... wild.

2 hours ago, hsif said:

This sucks........ or blows........ depending on your perspective. So far, one 40' "property boundary" pine tree blown over. But I still have power, and nothing has come through the roof yet. There's some pretty cool video of the ice being pushed to the E end of Lake Erie/Upper Niagara River, and being piled up on shore....... wild.

Was hoping to see it on the way back from work but the Skyway was closed.  Maybe I'll be able to get a peak on the way in tomorrow.

Pretty wild last 24 hours...roofs blown off, roofs caving in...ice boom broke...anything not tied down getting blown around...all the schools closed

Peak Wind Gust at Niagara Falls and Dunkirk was 74 mph, Buffalo Airport 69 mph with sustained winds over 55 mph for several hours...

About 65K people lost power...luckily I wasn't one of them...

and to top it off, Lake Effect Snow coming all the way from lake Huron over 400 miles away...we can't catch a break lol...

-42C or -43.6F with the wind here tonight and everyone around here is getting pretty sick of the winter. I am getting into a cab for the airport at 4:45 tomorrow morning and heading to Los Cabos for 13 days of drinking, fishing, birding, snorkeling and eating...preferably in that order. Supposed to be around 81F for the whole time we are there. Fishing isn't supposed to be the greatest at this time of year but it's supposed to be picking up the last two weeks. I'll be watching the Jets from a rooftop bar tomorrow evening!!!

Supposed to be -8C or 17.6F when we get back but they have trouble predicting 3 days in advance let alone 14 days.

Edited by Ducky

On 2/25/2019 at 7:01 PM, Ducky said:

-42C or -43.6F with the wind here tonight and everyone around here is getting pretty sick of the winter. I am getting into a cab for the airport at 4:45 tomorrow morning and heading to Los Cabos for 13 days of drinking, fishing, birding, snorkeling and eating...preferably in that order. Supposed to be around 81F for the whole time we are there. Fishing isn't supposed to be the greatest at this time of year but it's supposed to be picking up the last two weeks. I'll be watching the Jets from a rooftop bar tomorrow evening!!!

Supposed to be -8C or 17.6F when we get back but they have trouble predicting 3 days in advance let alone 14 days.

Have a good time and thanks for sending the deep freeze as far east as you could.  We are not quite to Winterpeg level coldness, but much colder than we are used to here in NS.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ducky said:

I love how the wind chill is at that point where the two scales cross over, the rare temperature where it doesn't matter which units you're using.

• Like (+1) 1

Cracked my left knee on some concrete tonight for about the fourth time this winter.  At a certain point, I'm going to need a bus.

I can't do this anymore.  I just can't.  This is ridiculous. This winter is the worst in five years, easily.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Cracked my left knee on some concrete tonight for about the fourth time this winter.  At a certain point, I'm going to need a bus.

I can't do this anymore.  I just can't.  This is ridiculous. This winter is the worst in five years, easily.

My wife slipped in the driveway and hit her head today after work. She seems OK though.  No concussion symptoms.  I thought I was the one with the thick head.

This Winter can end, like yesterday.

I shot this video of a spinning circle of ice in a local creek yesterday. Although it seems people can create these with chainsaws on thicker ice, I don't see any way this one was done by humans. This has got to be old Mother Nature. If you google around, you'll see stories about naturally occurring ice circles. This is probably the most interesting thing I've seen in nature, and that includes an osprey that sat in a tree above my nephew waiting for the right moment to swoop down and steal the fish off his line. I was absolutely mesmerized by this sight.

• Like (+1) 2