OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

4 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Most of the folks in my office have their managers come by and encourage/force them to leave early when the weather gets bad. I recognize that this is probably not the norm.

3 hours ago, Sabre Dance said:

When you work at a hospital, they always expect you to make it into work no matter what.  I've had to stay overnight once already in my 20 years working here.  Fortunately, I no longer work in a capacity that is considered "essential", so tomorrow I think I will take the day off and watch some TV.  I won't be building a fire, though; no fireplace!

Yeh have to work tonight and tomorrow in hospital, stayed over twice in last 5 years.  Doubt tomorrow causes that but who knows.

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Truck had a really hard time this morning, had the block plugged in all night, the glo-plug just didn't like these temps and I have winter blend in the tank. Temp drops like this always affect my truck. The downside of needing a diesel to move weight, they really don't like the extreme cold. 

I had a diesel VW a few winters ago and it was useless if you were stuck in slow moving traffic. The engine wouldn't make enough heat to keep the windows defrosted. Never making that mistake again. Give me hot burning guzzoline all day every day.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I had a diesel VW a few winters ago and it was useless if you were stuck in slow moving traffic. The engine wouldn't make enough heat to keep the windows defrosted. Never making that mistake again. Give me hot burning guzzoline all day every day.

yea, I'm thinking the same thing. Our company shutdown today, temps, a lot of outdoor work. My truck is a 99 f-250, 7.3 liter, It's used to pull material and heavy equipment around, the main reason I bought it. Never saw a winter until last yr, 341k miles on it, so it's in great shape, but you can just tell it does not like the cold. Picked it up from a long time friend for 5k, put 6k in to it in just under 3 yrs, including a new turbo, the original was 10 years past it's expected life. I don't think I'll get another diesel though, let the company figure out how to move crap around. I'll wait until this fall and take a trip out to Arizona to pick up a newer model gas.

The sad thing is, this truck roles in the snow like nobodies business, that 7.3 has pulling power, and with the 8 ft bed it's been a beast of a work truck, but the winter cold hassle just isn't worth it. Oh well, I just keep telling the wife, 11 to 15 yrs more to retirement ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

yea, I'm thinking the same thing. Our company shutdown today, temps, a lot of outdoor work. My truck is a 99 f-250, 7.3 liter, It's used to pull material and heavy equipment around, the main reason I bought it. Never saw a winter until last yr, 341k miles on it, so it's in great shape, but you can just tell it does not like the cold. Picked it up from a long time friend for 5k, put 6k in to it in just under 3 yrs, including a new turbo, the original was 10 years past it's expected life. I don't think I'll get another diesel though, let the company figure out how to move crap around. I'll wait until this fall and take a trip out to Arizona to pick up a newer model gas.

The sad thing is, this truck roles in the snow like nobodies business, that 7.3 has pulling power, and with the 8 ft bed it's been a beast of a work truck, but the winter cold hassle just isn't worth it. Oh well, I just keep telling the wife, 11 to 15 yrs more to retirement ?

It definitely beats your body up. Last winter was terrible. It lasted forever. After 26 years of being out in the wide open, up in lifts and crawling on the iron, I’m laying low. I’ll go back to work soon enough but I’m delaying as long as possible to limit my suffering. I have a ton of banked hours and less than 9 years to retirement. I may make this a new thing for these last few years.

Good luck to you buddy.?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ogre said:

It definitely beats your body up. Last winter was terrible. It lasted forever. After 26 years of being out in the wide open, up in lifts and crawling on the iron, I’m laying low. I’ll go back to work soon enough but I’m delaying as long as possible to limit my suffering. I have a ton of banked hours and less than 9 years to retirement. I may make this a new thing for these last few years.

Good luck to you buddy.?

I'm in the same boat. Industrial Electrician on the installation side. Oxy, Covanta, Air Base, Cascades, used to be Dupont as well. Did the Tonawanda corridor to, 3M, Peroxy and the Republic Steel site in Lackawanna. Up in lifts an a great deal, on the steel, running conduit and cable tray. Last winter was rough bud, was out in it all winter, this year is the same, I feel it. I completely understand your pain.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm in the same boat. Industrial Electrician on the installation side. Oxy, Covanta, Air Base, Cascades, used to be Dupont as well. Did the Tonawanda corridor to, 3M, Peroxy and the Republic Steel site in Lackawanna. Up in lifts an a great deal, on the steel, running conduit and cable tray. Last winter was rough bud, was out in it all winter, this year is the same, I feel it. I completely understand your pain.

There are days where I miss doing electrical work as my job, but today is not one of them. 12 years ago I was installing sconces outside in weather not that different from right now (about as cold, but less wind). Twisting ***** stranded wire while your fingers are so cold they no longer move was not super fun. Hell, when its this cold even being inside wasn't much better, seeing as most of the buildings didn't have windows or insulation yet.

Ah, the good old days.

• Like (+1) 1

Drove into this blizzard.  I’ve not experienced weather quite like this before.  The snow was very different from our normal snow.  It was more like driving into the densest fog I’ve ever been in.  

I was following a semi and keeping very close behind to keep him in view.  I was 1 to 1-1/2 car lengths behind him and still completely losing sight of him at times.  Was using the rumble strip on the crown of the road to stay on the road.

Got my drivers license in 1984.  Ive had a 35 mile one way commute for most of the last 18 years.  I’ve never experienced visibility this poor.  Just wow.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Drove into this blizzard.  I’ve not experienced weather quite like this before.  The snow was very different from our normal snow.  It was more like driving into the densest fog I’ve ever been in.  

I was following a semi and keeping very close behind to keep him in view.  I was 1 to 1-1/2 car lengths behind him and still completely losing sight of him at times.  Was using the rumble strip on the crown of the road to stay on the road.

Got my drivers license in 1984.  Ive had a 35 mile one way commute for most of the last 18 years.  I’ve never experienced visibility this poor.  Just wow.

Sorry, but why would you do that?

Nothing is worth that kind of risk.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Someone I used to work with in the Big G used to tell a story about coming back to Buffalo following a semi like that. The truck slowed down and then stopped in the middle of the road. Wondering what was up, my friend gets out of the car, sees the truck driver and asks what's up. "We're in the rest stop parking lot, I'm done for the night". He had no idea they got off the highway.

In 85, I was playing hockey at Leisure Rinks the Saturday morning the blizzard started. I remember my dad driving home and barely being able to see anything past the nose of the car. For awhile, we were behind a pair of taillights, and then nothing. I'm surprised we got home.

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Someone I used to work with in the Big G used to tell a story about coming back to Buffalo following a semi like that. The truck slowed down and then stopped in the middle of the road. Wondering what was up, my friend gets out of the car, sees the truck driver and asks what's up. "We're in the rest stop parking lot, I'm done for the night". He had no idea they got off the highway.

In 85, I was playing hockey at Leisure Rinks the Saturday morning the blizzard started. I remember my dad driving home and barely being able to see anything past the nose of the car. For awhile, we were behind a pair of taillights, and then nothing. I'm surprised we got home.

thats awesome

51 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sorry, but why would you do that?

Nothing is worth that kind of risk.

The road home led stormward.  It was clear from where I was coming, but I knew a mess was starting.  Instead of beating the mess, I drove into it.

10 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I drove from Cheektowaga to NCCC in that 85 storm.  And found all classes canceled when I got there, so I turned around and drove all the way back to Cheektowaga.

That one was a doozy too.

13 hours ago, Weave said:

The road home led stormward.  It was clear from where I was coming, but I knew a mess was starting.  Instead of beating the mess, I drove into it.

I drove from Cheektowaga to NCCC in that 85 storm.  And found all classes canceled when I got there, so I turned around and drove all the way back to Cheektowaga.

That one was a doozy too.

My apologies for assuming that you did something not very smart.  The worst thing is when storms strike part way through the day and you are caught.

At least now it is easy to find out that things are canceled before heading out.  Not so in 1985.  I remember a few times going to college and finding classes canceled for weather, or other reasons.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, sabills said:

I got sent home once about 5 years ago because it was absolutely nuts outside. Like pure whiteout. I drove home by watching the lights infront of me and the purple line on my GPS. If it had been dark I would have been spending the night at work.

I had a similar experience years ago. I worked in OP down the road from the stadium.  I was driving down 219 in the morning and all I could see were the taillights of a semi in front of me. He put his blinker on to get off and I knew I wouldn’t be able to see anything so I followed him off.  I was happy to find that it was my exit.

My brother and I drove back from DC in the early 90s to Buffalo hit a white out band on 63 somewhere west of Geneseo.  He was counting the snow plow stakes on side of the road with window down at 5-10 miles an hour. Couple of trucks stopped going up a hill.  Two lane road and at this point snow let up looked for head lights... turns 5 trucks and eight cars stopped. Luckily no cars coming opposite direction.  Not smartest decision to pass... only a 5 mile band but will never forget it.

Edited by North Buffalo

Talk about cold temps...……….3 guys at work have diesel's, all 7.3 powerstroke's, as I mentioned in an earlier post to haul around equipment. The temps got low enough here in Buffalo that even with the diesel additive, the fuel gelled enough to kill the internal fuel tank sending units ?

All 3 of us have to replace them now, talk about a major catalyst for catastrophe. Spoke with 2 diesel mechanics this AM, both said the same thing, they've each received calls from others on this very problem with the 7.3's.