DIY Thread

MattPie

IOn a lighter note, good for you, man. DIY can give a guy a pretty good feeling. It'll snowball. You'll be building your own cabin in Alaska with nothing but a hand drill and axe before you know it. In all seriousness, you've learned a skill that will always save you $. As your DIY skills develop, your savings will increase. I recently DIY all the wiring for my hot tub and was so pumped that I bought a Pex pipe crimp tool and plumbed my well into my holding tank and then into the water treatment. Finished with wiring a mercury float switch into my one hour cycle timer. Googled most of it. We really should have a DIY thread so we can all feed off each other.

Why not.

My DIY is coming in the mail this week: brakes for Van-dor the Unstoppable. Shop price, roughly $500 parts and labor. Internet price for parts (nice, but not OEM): $200. Spending a couple hours in the driveway with something to listen to and perhaps a beverage or two: a net plus.

One of the most enjoyable I did was replacing the clutch on my washing machine. Fun project and well documented both in the paper manual tucked inside the panel and youtube videos. Plus, it was pretty easy even though I had nearly the entire thing torn apart.

I bought an old 1920's house in Kenmore that I have slowly been remodeling (read: gutting) each room in the house. Current status three years later is completely redone master and guest bedroom (including adding closet), rebuilt front porch and landscaping, brand new kitchen, removed walls, redid dining room and built half bath on first floor. Still have the living room and expansion of the 2nd floor bathroom to do, but no need to rush.

Me and my father have done 100% of the remodeling and construction work, including HVAC, plumbing, hardwood floors, electrical, cabinet installation and drywall finishing. It has been a long road but it's been fun to say the least. Only thing we have hired out for is roofing. I'm not going up 35-40ft on a steep roof slope.

I bought an old 1920's house in Kenmore that I have slowly been remodeling (read: gutting) each room in the house. Current status three years later is completely redone master and guest bedroom (including adding closet), rebuilt front porch and landscaping, brand new kitchen, removed walls, redid dining room and built half bath on first floor. Still have the living room and expansion of the 2nd floor bathroom to do, but no need to rush.

Me and my father have done 100% of the remodeling and construction work, including HVAC, plumbing, hardwood floors, electrical, cabinet installation and drywall finishing. It has been a long road but it's been fun to say the least. Only thing we have hired out for is roofing. I'm not going up 35-40ft on a steep roof slope.

Got some before/after photos of the work so far? 

Bye passing the safety switch for the spin cycle on the washing machine because the switch went bad.

10 minutes at no cost and you get to open the door and watch your clothes go round-n-round really fast.

Priceless.

On my washer, the switch would slip. All I needed to do was loosen the screw, slide it back into place, and tighten it.  I did that for about 7 years, then the driver died (timer motor thingy most likely, but the cost of the part was kind of ridiculous and I wasn't 100% that would fix it) so I finally replaced both.  But they were about 23 years old so I guess I got my use out of them.

On my washer, the switch would slip. All I needed to do was loosen the screw, slide it back into place, and tighten it.  I did that for about 7 years, then the driver died (timer motor thingy most likely, but the cost of the part was kind of ridiculous and I wasn't 100% that would fix it) so I finally replaced both.  But they were about 23 years old so I guess I got my use out of them.

Fun washer/dryer story.

My cousin married into a fairly famous political family in Buffalo, and this family has a very nice house in Lakeshore where me and my cousin have delivered at least 3 washer/dryer sets to their basement. This fairly wealthy family has about 5 sets of older model (think 10-15 years old) washers and dryers in their basement all hooked up and fully functional. Apparently it is so they can do all their laundry at one time.

I thought it was the oddest thing, but to each their own :unsure: 

Fun washer/dryer story.

My cousin married into a fairly famous political family in Buffalo, and this family has a very nice house in Lakeshore where me and my cousin have delivered at least 3 washer/dryer sets to their basement. This fairly wealthy family has about 5 sets of older model (think 10-15 years old) washers and dryers in their basement all hooked up and fully functional. Apparently it is so they can do all their laundry at one time.

I thought it was the oddest thing, but to each their own :unsure:

Political family? Pssh. We all know its to launder their dirty money.

Does a DIY specifically fix something up, or can it be any project/hobby?

My meaning of DIY....

Something in your life that you need or it needs fixed and you take it to task yourself to make it or mend it. Hopefully learning something along the way.

Edit:

And not getting yourself killed is very important during the DIY project. Minor injuries and blood shed are to be expected.

Edited by Woods-Racer

My meaning of DIY....

Something in your life that you need or it needs fixed and you take it to task yourself to make it or mend it. Hopefully learning something along the way.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a repair.  Homebrewing could be considered DIY beer.

Disc brakes are easy-peasy. Drums are a little tougher.

My dad and I used to do drums, and the rule there is always leave one together for reference while you're working on the other one. :)  Brakes are easy these days as the calipers are usually mounted in a frame that also holds the pads. You had to remove the calipers and pads at the same time on my cars from the 90s and that sucked; the ridge of unworn and/or corroded brake rotor around the outside always hung things up. Drums were terrible about that when the shoes would stick; you couldn't get in there to pull them in far enough to get the drum off.

Does a DIY specifically fix something up, or can it be any project/hobby?

Go for it, as far as I'm concerned. My guideline is anything you fix/make/do. If you build pumpkin trebuchets, I want to see it. Painting your Sabres room? Post pictures. Computer hardware? Sure, why not. Build beer brewing hardware out of old water heaters? Oh yeah!

My dad and I used to do drums, and the rule there is always leave one together for reference while you're working on the other one. :)  Brakes are easy these days as the calipers are usually mounted in a frame that also holds the pads. You had to remove the calipers and pads at the same time on my cars from the 90s and that sucked; the ridge of unworn and/or corroded brake rotor around the outside always hung things up. Drums were terrible about that when the shoes would stick; you couldn't get in there to pull them in far enough to get the drum off.

Go for it, as far as I'm concerned. My guideline is anything you fix/make/do. If you build pumpkin trebuchets, I want to see it. Painting your Sabres room? Post pictures. Computer hardware? Sure, why not. Build beer brewing hardware out of old water heaters? Oh yeah!

97 chevy 3/4 ton, a NY girl, to say she has some rust is an understatement. Back brakes where drum type and the drums wouldn't come off. It was either her or me, one us was going down that night. Took a large hammer/small sledge and beat them till I couldn't pick the hammer off the shop floor. Dam things never moved. 

Next night went out to the shop and they came right off. She was just playing hard to get. 

When the *slack adjuster" won't back off the drum brakes due to rust and dirt so the drum is just wedged on by the brake shoes?  Torches. Cut a big notch in the drum so you can get to the *slack adjuster* (I have no idea it's official name) and get it out or backed off. Otherwise you could be there for hours trying to get a drum off.

97 chevy 3/4 ton, a NY girl, to say she has some rust is an understatement. Back brakes where drum type and the drums wouldn't come off. It was either her or me, one us was going down that night. Took a large hammer/small sledge and beat them till I couldn't pick the hammer off the shop floor. Dam things never moved. 

Next night went out to the shop and they came right off. She was just playing hard to get. 

When the *slack adjuster" won't back off the drum brakes due to rust and dirt so the drum is just wedged on by the brake shoes?  Torches. Cut a big notch in the drum so you can get to the *slack adjuster* (I have no idea it's official name) and get it out or backed off. Otherwise you could be there for hours trying to get a drum off.

My Dad referred to it as a star-wheel, but I doubt that's the real name. That being said, I was just looking up reverse-braking adjustment to see if I remembered that right and some of the people in the post were talking about star-wheels, so maybe that is the name. Oh, and for the youngins, drum brakes used to auto-adjust themselves as the shoes wore down if you hit the brakes in reverse. You'd hear a fairly loud click. No brake job was complete until you drove up and down the driveway a few times to get them set.

My Dad referred to it as a star-wheel, but I doubt that's the real name. That being said, I was just looking up reverse-braking adjustment to see if I remembered that right and some of the people in the post were talking about star-wheels, so maybe that is the name. Oh, and for the youngins, drum brakes used to auto-adjust themselves as the shoes wore down if you hit the brakes in reverse. You'd hear a fairly loud click. No brake job was complete until you drove up and down the driveway a few times to get them set.

I learned something new today. 

Brakes? You're a brave man. I'll work on pretty much anything on a car. But brakes are where I draw the line. I will screw that job up, no matter what it is.

I barely know where to put the gas in and I've done a dozen brake jobs. It's probably the easiest thing you can do other than changing routine filters.

That, or release the emergency brake. happy-smiley21.gif

Yes, I know two people that did that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.