weave's brother in-law needs our help

darksabre

(Scott, if this is inappropriate please let me know.)

So we all know weave hasn't been around much lately. That said, he posted on twitter today that his brother in-law, who by all accounts is a hard working man with a family who needs him, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis and is in need of a double-lung transplant. Yeah, you read that right. While their insurance can cover the medical costs, the travel and lodging costs for making many trips back and forth to the Cleveland Clinic (an institute without which I would not be so lucky to have Josie by my side today) are going to be very expensive. 

Since this is the time of year where people are looking to do some good deeds, I hope that maybe we can step up here at Sabrespace and show weave and his brother in-law some love. Not asking for much here. Any little bit helps. 

Go Fund Me at this link:

https://www.gofundme.com/lantry-strong-living-vs-breathing?rcid=cec960ac837545cdba64a74843d8d6bf

Thank you everyone. 

Feeling compelled to stop in.  It was a very kind gesture on D4rk's part to post this here.  And I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.  The donations to a complete stranger are truly heartwarming.  I know that Lynn and Marke are beyond ords that total strangers would be so generous.  There are some kind souls here.

I guess I should tell you a little about the family.  it is the least I can do given the actions of those of you in this thread.  Lynn is my wife's sister.  She met Marke in Syracuse shortly after she accepted a job there in a neo-natal intensive care facility.  Marke became a part of our family soon after.  And then the family grew even more. 16 years ago their 2nd daughter was born.  Lynn gave birth in the hospital she works at.  Immediately after her daughter was born, Lynn's unit was called into the room.  Lynn knew this meant there was something wrong.  Their daughter was born with spina bifida.  Their were several scary surgeries.  And lots of sleepless nights as their daughter developed.  One by one developmental issues were uncovered, and one by one they were dealt with by Lynn's talented co-workers.  Today, Jillian leads a normal life.  But the path there had plenty of tears and worry.

So the family knows the difficulty of medical uncertainty.  They've been hopping from doctor to doctor for 2 years now trying to find out why Marke can't go up the 2nd floor of their house without needing to catch his breath.  Unfortunately, the diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis means that the sands have started to fall for Marke.  Typical life expectancy is 3-5 years and Marke has had symptoms for 2 years already.  Fortunately, he's always been a non-smoker and leads a healthy, active lifestyle.  It's why he is still functional with O2 today.  But he has a window of opportunity for a lung transplant.  Eventually his condition will deteriorate to the point where surgery is no longer an option.  We're crossing our fingers that a donor becomes available before that happens.

Marke's employer has been tremendously graceful.  Marke has been moved into a position that doesn't require physical activity, and gives him the flexibility to come and go as his energy level allows.  It has allowed Marke to avoid going on Disability for now.  But at some point Disability will be a necessity.  And Lynn will need to take a leave of absence from her employer to go and stay with Marke in Cleveland, and provide care once he is home again.  The hospitalization period will likely span several months or more.  And there will be frequent trips to the Cleveland Clinic for some time afterward.   The expense of traveling and staying in Cleveland is not covered by health insurance, so it will impact the family's savings considerably.  And even more critical, should they get the phone call that a donor lung is available, they have 3 hours to get to the Cleveland clinic, which means they will need to board a chartered medical jet ASAP.  The medical charter is staffed with nurses and doctors.  He will be prepped for surgery while in the air so as not to lose valuable time.  Of course, that service is incredibly expensive, and not covered by health insurance.  We started the go fund me account in the hopes of easing the burden of the medical charter and loss of income while in Cleveland.

Anyway...... thank you again for all of the assistance.  And thank you for keeping Marke and Lynn in your thoughts and prayers.  They are more grateful than they could ever express.  And I am as well.

I'll make sure to post news here as things happen.

Hug your family.  Every chance you get.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.