Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I don't think talent has a single, solitary, thing to do with why Babcock chose the Leafs. 

Toronto is an abomination defensively and they're not going to win anything until they clean it up, but in the meantime, man are they fun to watch. They're a bad team, but they're the right kind of bad: entertaining.

So it's either Bylsma or injuries.

It's both,

But man we are boring as hell to watch

See, these are decent points.  It's not just that the team is bad; it's the WAY in which the team was bad.

Chuck Knoblauch for Pres! He ruled the baseball video games of my era.

I take it there wasn't much throwing in those games.

Ink I have to say I admire your message and it's simple but brutal truth. I don't know why so many are overlooking these mind blowing issues. I'm saying DD gets a pass but there is a reason why we look like we do and it's not just him.

It is both and I agree it's mostly been boring as hell. But I'm going, watching and waiting for the turn to occur.

I was all in on Luke Richardson at the time. What's he doing now? Not wearing shoes or slipper around the house of course but what else?

It's extraordinarily clear that DD think limiting the other teams chances are his best way to win right now. I'd a dummy like me can figure that out, then it's pretty obvious. If we are going to lose 75% of our games make them exciting the TO. Grab a suspect puck mover or two who may not play good D, TJ Brennan anyone, and lets fire up this offense. I'd rather lose 5-4 than live through these borefests.

Didn't Tippett sign an extension? I doubt that new gm fires him, he seems like a smart kid

I want Todd Richards, currently assistant coach for TB. Not sure if we could pry him away. Is bringing Ruff back at all a possibility?

I forgot about the extension. I saw either Friedman or McKenzie mention he maybe on the hot seat this season.

To show how bad this team is;

Our highest point scoring player - Okposo -is ranked NINETY FIFTH in the NHL

Our top goal scorer - Moulson -is 61st in the league.  

Our player with the highest assists - Risto - is 88th in the league

Take heart though - We DO have a player ranked in the top 50  - that idiot Gorges is ranked 50th in PIM.   Maybe they oughta give him another "A" for his 'achievement'?? HOORAH!!!   *smh*    

BTW, this $4 million dollar D-man  has managed to make it 1/4th of the way through the entire season without yet scoring a single point - Do you think ... he...could...go....all....the...way!!!!??

Gorges makes me almost wish for the return of Errorhoff or Myers.... jeebus christmas!   

Edited by Jsixspd

Take heart though - We DO have a player ranked in the top 50 - that idiot Gorges is ranked 50th in PIM. Maybe they oughta give him another "A" for his 'achievement'?? HOORAH!!! *smh*

BTW, this $4 million dollar D-man has managed to make it 1/4th of the way through the entire season without yet scoring a single point - Do you think ... he...could...go....all....the...way!!!!??

I get that you hate #4, and you have a lot of company but this continued measuring of his worth based on points doesn't help your argument. He's only passed the 20 point Mark once.

Take heart though - We DO have a player ranked in the top 50  - that idiot Gorges is ranked 50th in PIM.   Maybe they oughta give him another "A" for his 'achievement'?? HOORAH!!!   *smh*    

BTW, this $4 million dollar D-man  has managed to make it 1/4th of the way through the entire season without yet scoring a single point - Do you think ... he...could...go....all....the...way!!!!??

Gorges makes me almost wish for the return of Errorhoff or Myers.... jeebus christmas!   

I get wanting defenseman to contribute but as a general rule they shouldn't be judged on points.  I'm not defending Gorges but points isn't what I'd like to see from him.

I get wanting defenseman to contribute but as a general rule they shouldn't be judged on points.  I'm not defending Gorges but points isn't what I'd like to see from him.

I get your point but have a philosophical disagreement here and I think this is a contributing factor to the Sabres woes thus far.  EVERY Sabre should be expected to score, granted some more than others.  Expected to score.  I think Gorges is happy just to get a shot on goal.  Not acceptable.  Bury the chance like you have been doing since you were 5 years old as a Mite.  Bill Hajt, a former Sabre All-Star and as defensive a defensiveman as you'll ever see, scored at a rate double of what Gorges has so far.  I know everyone has a role, but I think some maybe think they get a free pass since their role is to stop goals.  Again, the main goal is to score!  DDB needs to instill that mentality.  It may be difficult for DDB to do this since his playing career was built on a mentality of stopping goals.

Edited by Tondas

I AM defending Gorges.  He is what he always has been, a defensive D-man.  Yes, he's a disaster with the puck, and yes, we've had to endure the sight of a lot of Gorges shots lately; but he is a fine NHL defenseman.  He could comfortably play third pair on any team in the league. He's routinely handed the toughest minutes and he plays them well.  Blame Bylsma for coaching a defensive style, blame the hockey gods for our injuries, but don't blame Josh Gorges. Maybe stop expecting him to be something he never was and you'll appreciate him more as a player.

OK.  I get it Monster.  Believe me, as a talented former never good-enough-for the-ECHL player, any player that gets to the highest level has earned my respect, whatever his role.  I think it's more DDB's defensive "mentality", not a system.  I'm not sure the "you're expected to score" mentality is universally applied.

Edited by Tondas

Not expecting a ton of production from Gorges.... but not even a single assist one fourth of the way through the season and double or even triple his previous rate of PIM??? (his final season in Montreal he had only 12 PIM in 48 games!!! - he's got 21 already after 21 games!!)    

It's looking like the worst season of his career by far.  

Maybe it's not Gorges, but Bylsma's system he's playing under now?    Maybe his skill set just doesn't mesh with Bylsma's system at all?    

OK, you watch until 20-hundred hours.

8 bells

Grigorenko scored last night. That gives him what 2 on the season. Really haven't heard much about Zadorov. I love having  ROR on this team.

I happened to catch Zadorov take a hooking penalty the other night on HNIC.

Not expecting a ton of production from Gorges.... but not even a single assist one fourth of the way through the season and double or even triple his previous rate of PIM??? (his final season in Montreal he had only 12 PIM in 48 games!!! - he's got 21 already after 21 games!!)    

It's looking like the worst season of his career by far.  

Maybe it's not Gorges, but Bylsma's system he's playing under now?    Maybe his skill set just doesn't mesh with Bylsma's system at all?    

Points: as someone pointed out, Gorges is directly affected by the team not scoring. He never generates offense anyways, but he's not getting points via the Larry Carriere method (give the puck to Gil behind the net, who then skates through everyone and scores). I think we'll see some assists when Eichel returns.

PIM: Gorges tasked with containing the other teams' top-line players is going to result in penalties. He can't keep up so he has to find less-legal methods. I doubt he was playing with Subban in MTL, so he wasn't getting the other teams' best.

attended the Caps game behind the Sabres shoot-twice. this is a very bad team. They're so lost, it's almost like they're forcing each player to play a position they're not meant for. they are throwing shots at the net from any angle, they have NO URGENCY, and they are not playing with confidence. This could've easily been a 5-1 game. And the worst part is that the Caps didn't even look that great, they just waited for the Sabres to make mistakes. And boy did they deliver.  

This starts and ends with the coaching.