The Instigators - Round 2

Hank

I closed that thread. I enjoyed closing it. The conversation occurring within that thread was not about the show but about 1 comment from the show and then turned into a political discourse on all things related to sexism.

I understand your frustration. I enjoyed the thread prior to the Sedin's comments and what followed. I would like more of that.

It's on iTunes

Interesting, I was hoping for something that would work with any of the hardware I own. :) (thanks for the tip; maybe I can leverage that into something I can use on my Android phone)

Interesting, I was hoping for something that would work with any of the hardware I own. :) (thanks for the tip; maybe I can leverage that into something I can use on my Android phone)

Hey, cool, Google turned up an RSS feed on the WGR site which my app (PLayer.FM) was able to pull in. I'm not sure I have another 1.5 hours a day to listen though. :(

The topic of the 2nd hour was "the identity" of the Sabres this season and I think the biggest issue with the team is that they don't have one yet.

I do think that Murray still has a clear idea of how his team will eventually take shape and its one built on Speed, size and skill.

They are still a year (or two) away from getting there but I firmly remain optimistic that this team will turn the corner and become one of the top teams in the league.

The prospects in the pipeline eventually will be ready to play in the NHL and they all seem to have speed and skating ability as their top attribute.

Nobody said this was going to be easy and I was really hoping to see the team reach 90 points (maybe they still will) but the Eichel injury seems to large for them to overcome. But to me its really about 2017-18 and beyond. Maybe another top 10 pick may actually turn out to be a good thing for them? 

The topic of the 2nd hour was "the identity" of the Sabres this season and I think the biggest issue with the team is that they don't have one yet.

I do think that Murray still has a clear idea of how his team will eventually take shape and its one built on Speed, size and skill.

They are still a year (or two) away from getting there but I firmly remain optimistic that this team will turn the corner and become one of the top teams in the league.

The prospects in the pipeline eventually will be ready to play in the NHL and they all seem to have speed and skating ability as their top attribute.

Nobody said this was going to be easy and I was really hoping to see the team reach 90 points (maybe they still will) but the Eichel injury seems to large for them to overcome. But to me its really about 2017-18 and beyond. Maybe another top 10 pick may actually turn out to be a good thing for them? 

When does it stop? I know this team is built for future success, but eventually you need to show me the baby. This was the year we were supposed to start looking like a real team and not a tank disaster. The names have changed but the play is equally poor if you ask me.

We can't keep saying "next year will be better". We already do that with the Bills. :doh:

When does it stop? I know this team is built for future success, but eventually you need to show me the baby. This was the year we were supposed to start looking like a real team and not a tank disaster. The names have changed but the play is equally poor if you ask me.

We can't keep saying "next year will be better". We already do that with the Bills. :doh:

How quickly we forget that last year the team improved by over 30 points from the previous year. I would have hoped they would have increased another 10 this season but an unfortunate injury(s) may keep us from seeing an improvement.

Though I'm still upset they didn't improve by 26 points (instead of 30) end up in 6th last and take my guy Patrick Laine!

How quickly we forget that last year the team improved by over 30 points from the previous year. I would have hoped they would have increased another 10 this season but an unfortunate injury(s) may keep us from seeing an improvement.

Though I'm still upset they didn't improve by 26 points (instead of 30) end up in 6th last and take my guy Patrick Laine!

You're making my point for me. The team we saw in the second half of the season looked like a legitimate hockey team and one that I could watch and cheer for this year. I don't think losing Eichel and Kane suddenly should make that team that was above .500 in the second half into a team in the running for #1 overall. Our team trajectory was on the upswing, and these first handful of games this year have turned that trajectory decidedly downhill.

When does it stop? I know this team is built for future success, but eventually you need to show me the baby. This was the year we were supposed to start looking like a real team and not a tank disaster. The names have changed but the play is equally poor if you ask me.We can't keep saying "next year will be better". We already do that with the Bills. :doh:

Agreed they dont even look like a cohesive team. Wth happened to that youthful enthusiasm. Risto is a shell, w/o Eichel Sam looks lost, Ennis at least is back and Fasching is showing signs of life. Sabres look like they need a stud center to go along with Eichel, but one who knows how to score.

I think I will give it more time , given injuries, before I throw in the towels. I didn't expect playoff this year and I do think this team is going to improve. It's certainly not time to fire coaches, trade away players and go to tank mode after less than ten games.

It was a 27 point improvement, wasn't it? Not over 30

Minor quibble

The Red Wings were a mediocre team for years with Steve Yzerman.  It wasn't until he was in his 30s that the team won the Cup.  The same may very well happen with the Sabres.  The flip side of that is once they got there, they stayed there for quite a long time.

Eichel and Samson may be the pair that leads us to the promised land, but it may take a whole lot of trying to figure out how the rest of the pieces fit together before the Sabres experience that ultimate success.

I think the tank was a valid method to turn the corner.  Other methods may have worked too.  We made excuses at the time, saying that it would accelerate the process, but with nothing in sports being certain, even an "accelerated" process may take years to come to fulfillment.

You're making my point for me. The team we saw in the second half of the season looked like a legitimate hockey team and one that I could watch and cheer for this year. I don't think losing Eichel and Kane suddenly should make that team that was above .500 in the second half into a team in the running for #1 overall. Our team trajectory was on the upswing, and these first handful of games this year have turned that trajectory decidedly downhill.

By #1 overall, do you mean draft position, not league position?  Assuming so, yes absolutely, a team right at the start of the season, losing 2 of their top 6 forwards, is going to struggle out of the gate.  I think this struggle will pay off as they learn to win without some of their top players, then will get a boost when those players return.  We could conceivably be Good, Scary Good, by Christmas, and in a good position in the standings.

I know my last two points may seem to be at odds, one saying that we're years away, another that we could be Scary Good real soon.  I guess my point is that you seem despondent.  I feel much more optimistic.  I think the trajectory of the team is good, and even if it takes a while before we finally win it all, I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

wouldn't every team want speed, size and skill? seems obvious to me

Im sure they would all want it but not all make it their team`s identity - some teams value team toughness  (Bruins that won the cup), some teams, like the Kings, are built on size and being able to control the play and are hard of the forecheck. Some, like the Devils of years past want to play defense before all else.

Sabres IMO are trying to build a team that has size speed and skill on all 4 forwards lines and are drafting Dman who are primarily good skaters.  

Definitely, but every player is going to have different amounts of each of those traits. It's up to the GM to figure out the winning combination. When Murray is on the clock at the draft and he's choosing between two guys of equal rating, do you want him to go for the faster guy or the bigger one? If prospect A is bigger and faster but prospect B has better hands and better vision or passing skills which one should he take? I imagine most GM's try to balance the various traits throughout their lineup but most probably half some kind of defector tiebreaker when everything else looks even.

The Red Wings were a mediocre team for years with Steve Yzerman.  It wasn't until he was in his 30s that the team won the Cup.  The same may very well happen with the Sabres.  The flip side of that is once they got there, they stayed there for quite a long time.

Eichel and Samson may be the pair that leads us to the promised land, but it may take a whole lot of trying to figure out how the rest of the pieces fit together before the Sabres experience that ultimate success.

I think the tank was a valid method to turn the corner.  Other methods may have worked too.  We made excuses at the time, saying that it would accelerate the process, but with nothing in sports being certain, even an "accelerated" process may take years to come to fulfillment.

By #1 overall, do you mean draft position, not league position?  Assuming so, yes absolutely, a team right at the start of the season, losing 2 of their top 6 forwards, is going to struggle out of the gate.  I think this struggle will pay off as they learn to win without some of their top players, then will get a boost when those players return.  We could conceivably be Good, Scary Good, by Christmas, and in a good position in the standings.

I know my last two points may seem to be at odds, one saying that we're years away, another that we could be Scary Good real soon.  I guess my point is that you seem despondent.  I feel much more optimistic.  I think the trajectory of the team is good, and even if it takes a while before we finally win it all, I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

Yes I did mean in the running for 1st overall pick. I see that was worded poorly.

In retrospect I was just in a really low place with this team after the losses against Philly and Minnesota, and was expecting a more competitive team this season compared to the last few. I realize that every team goes through streaks throughout the year, but it wasn't looking too optimistic last week. Amazing what a difference a week can make.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.