Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

So, speaking of Spike Lee movies, I attended a pretty cool event the other night -- a screening of "Do the Right Thing" hosted by John Turturro.  He gave a short speech before the movie and did Q&A afterwards. 

I hadn't seen the movie in full since it came out in 1989 -- well worth seeing if you like Spike Lee.  Anyway, at the end, when the credits rolled, I was pretty surprised to see that the character Buggin' Out, who had a pretty big role in the movie:

image.png.f5fa77ab36e6e5a3389c997877c6babb.png

...was played by none other than Giancarlo Esposito -- now best known as Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

image.png.b1d8f3ee25963c421b16aa66dc32dc14.png

John Turturro mentioned, btw, that Esposito's father is Spanish.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So, speaking of Spike Lee movies, I attended a pretty cool event the other night -- a screening of "Do the Right Thing" hosted by John Turturro.  He gave a short speech before the movie and did Q&A afterwards. 

I hadn't seen the movie in full since it came out in 1989 -- well worth seeing if you like Spike Lee.  Anyway, at the end, when the credits rolled, I was pretty surprised to see that the character Buggin' Out, who had a pretty big role in the movie:

image.png.f5fa77ab36e6e5a3389c997877c6babb.png

...was played by none other than Giancarlo Esposito -- now best known as Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

image.png.b1d8f3ee25963c421b16aa66dc32dc14.png

John Turturro mentioned, btw, that Esposito's father is Spanish.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

I love John Turturro, but he misspoke on this one.  Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito's father is definitely Italian.

I remember him (Esposito) mostly from Homicide:Life On The Street.  I loved that show.

14 hours ago, BagBoy said:

I love John Turturro, but he misspoke on this one.  Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito's father is definitely Italian.

Looks like you're right -- IMDB says:

Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, to an Italian carpenter/stagehand father from Naples and an opera-singing African-American mother from Alabama.

(I was probably just mis-remembering what John Turturro said.)

When you're not quite sure if someone on Wikipedia is pranking you:

Fargo Season 4

The fourth season will star Chris Rock, who will play the head of a crime syndicate made up of black migrants fleeing the Jim Crow South who have a contentious relationship with the Kansas City mafia. It will be set in 1950s Kansas City, Missouri. Production is scheduled to begin in late 2019.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, Neo said:

I saw the film and I recommend it for all.  It’s very good for everyone.   It’s great for music fans.  It’s awesome for Queen fans.

For those who are Queen fans and have an appreciation for the era, the pop culture, the struggles and excesses, Bohemian Rhapsody is a powerful emotional experience.  I had goosebumps and tears.

Go to a large screen theater.  Sit close and look up.  Larger than life, larger than life.

Have to agree with Neo here.  Awesome movie.  The whole family loved it.  For some reason critics don't seem to love it, but the audience score is very high on Rotten Tomatoes.  Highly recommended.  I'm hoping for a music movie dominated Academy Awards show this year since A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody have been my two favorite movies of the year.

Also saw Boy Erased which was very good.  The performances of Lucas Hedges and Nicole Kidman were excellent.

The new Halloween was good for what it was.  Tried and true formula.  I enjoyed it.

I'm into so many series, I'm losing track. Let me see if I can list them:

Jack Ryan

Sneaky Pete

Goliath

Bosch

The walking dead

Better call Saul

Ray Donovan

Shameless

The Chi

Game of Thrones

True Detective

Snowfall

I know I'm forgetting some and I'm not counting the ones I completed (Dexter, Breaking Bad, Justified, Weeds, Six Feet Under, Arrested Development, Mad Men)

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm into so many series, I'm losing track. Let me see if I can list them:

Jack Ryan

Sneaky Pete

Goliath

Bosch

The walking dead

Better call Saul

Ray Donovan

Shameless

The Chi

Game of Thrones

True Detective

Snowfall

I know I'm forgetting some and I'm not counting the ones I completed (Dexter, Breaking Bad, Justified, Weeds, Six Feet Under, Arrested Development, Mad Men)

Good list.  Sneaky Pete is so good and so underrated.  Loved the first season and the second was good as well.

Alright Board.  The GF and I are at loggerheads on an issue and I need input.  She wants to force me to watch The Family Stone.  Graciously, in return, she has agreed to watch anything I demand.  Is it out of line, given relative pain levels (from what I can tell via IMDB) to demand in return we watch the entire MCU catalog?  I still think I lose, but am open to opinions... 

On 11/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, Hoss said:

Episode 5 (The Bent-Neck Lady) and Episode 6 (Two Storms) are two of the very best episodes of television I’ve ever watched. And to have them back to back like that, I’ve only ever seen the drama and significant differences from one story to the next done so well in Mr. Robot.

Nell’s story is really beautiful and unique.

Also, the show 100% triggered sleep paralysis issues with me. It’s sonething I’ve had since college. I normally get it a couple times a month but in the days after seeing Nell struggle with it (pretty accurately portrayed aside from some minor differences that could be explained by the different ways people experience these things) I had it for four out of five nights including one night where I had several as I tried to fall asleep.

Just wanted to quote the post I was referencing above. This makes me very excited for tonight's viewing of these two before the Sabres game starts.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm woefully behind but I started watching Black Mirror last night. 

Everyone always told me that they're not outright scary but just fu*k with you on a weird level- they were right. Unsettling. So far each ep reminds me a lot of the weird short stories I used to read in high school- the visualizations are really nice, though. 

I also enjoy seeing such a wide variety of good actors in each episode. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, josie said:

I'm woefully behind but I started watching Black Mirror last night. 

Everyone always told me that they're not outright scary but just fu*k with you on a weird level- they were right. Unsettling. So far each ep reminds me a lot of the weird short stories I used to read in high school- the visualizations are really nice, though. 

I also enjoy seeing such a wide variety of good actors in each episode. 

Did you start from the beginning?  I had a friend tell me start with Season 3 when it came out.  I did that.. I have gone back to watch some of the others from the beginning.  I'm not totally sold that Season 3 is crazier, but there's some messed up stuff.

I love the show though. It's right up my alley. It's a technology driven Twilight Zone.

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Finally getting into The Haunting of Hill House. ***** is it good. We watched the first 4 episodes last night and are planning to go right back at it tonight with the Nell episode (which I read in this thread is one of the best ones). Counting the work hours until I get home.

Thanks guys & gals!

Yes the next two are the 2 best episodes imo. Enjoy! I have no doubt you will!

On 11/26/2018 at 12:16 AM, pi2000 said:

Anybody see Overlord?

No, but I want to and almost have pulled the trigger a couple times on going.  Just hasn't lined up yet for me.  Should I see it?