Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Yes — the painful family drama quotient is much higher in season 1, and then it increasingly morphs into a gripping crime drama.  

IMHO, the show doesn’t have quite enough of a sense of humor, which keeps it out of my top 3 all-time shows.  But I can see how others would disagree (and I think many do!) and in any case it is an excellent show.  

On 9/14/2018 at 9:46 PM, Neo said:

I just watched the trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody.  I absolutely cannot wait.  November.

If done right, and I have no reason to believe it won’t be, this will be a joyful and emotionally powerful two hours.

I saw the film and I recommend it for all.  It’s very good for everyone.   It’s great for music fans.  It’s awesome for Queen fans.

For those who are Queen fans and have an appreciation for the era, the pop culture, the struggles and excesses, Bohemian Rhapsody is a powerful emotional experience.  I had goosebumps and tears.

Go to a large screen theater.  Sit close and look up.  Larger than life, larger than life.

• Sad 1

On 10/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, shrader said:

It’s heavy character development in season one and then balls to the wall the rest of the way. 

“Balls to the Wall” is a wonderful phrase for the show’s vibe.  A metaphor for so many scenes, themes and characters therein.

For fun ...  “balls to the wall” etymology.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

I saw the film and I recommend it for all.  It’s very good for everyone.   It’s great for music fans.  It’s awesome for Queen fans.

For those who are Queen fans and have an appreciation for the era, the pop culture, the struggles and excesses, Bohemian Rhapsody is a powerful emotional experience.  I had goosebumps and tears.

Go to a large screen theater.  Sit close and look up.  Larger than life, larger than life.

BANNED!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
not really ... another 'NS ceremonial banning'

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

Man, a Haunting on Hill House...A+ first of all. Everything from the acting, to the ingenuity, to the surprises, that show had it all. And that ending...wow. I challenge you not to shed a tear at the end of that one

Episode 5 (The Bent-Neck Lady) and Episode 6 (Two Storms) are two of the very best episodes of television I’ve ever watched. And to have them back to back like that, I’ve only ever seen the drama and significant differences from one story to the next done so well in Mr. Robot.

Nell’s story is really beautiful and unique.

Also, the show 100% triggered sleep paralysis issues with me. It’s sonething I’ve had since college. I normally get it a couple times a month but in the days after seeing Nell struggle with it (pretty accurately portrayed aside from some minor differences that could be explained by the different ways people experience these things) I had it for four out of five nights including one night where I had several as I tried to fall asleep.

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

Man, a Haunting on Hill House...A+ first of all. Everything from the acting, to the ingenuity, to the surprises, that show had it all. And that ending...wow. I challenge you not to shed a tear at the end of that one

Just watched the first episode last night. I think i'm in for a good ride :)

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The Deadwood movie has officially started filming. 

If you haven't watched the show, I highly recommend doing so.  IMHO, it is right there with the Sopranos and the Wire (and ahead of Breaking Bad) in the GOAT list. 

That's interesting you said this, I read the book by Peter Dexter and I couldn't get past the 2nd or 3rd episode. I'll have to try it again now that the book isn't so fresh anymore.

Another series on Amazon Prime is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. A quirky comedy involving Jewish families. Watched Season 1, pretty dang good.

Edited by jsb

Not sure if its been mentioned but ' Mindhunters " on netflix is really good. Its about the first couple of guys at the FBI who figure profiling serial killers might be worthwhile so they travel around the country interviewing killers and at times solving current crimes. I was hooked the first episode and binge watched the rest this past weekend.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, Hoss said:

Episode 5 (The Bent-Neck Lady) and Episode 6 (Two Storms) are two of the very best episodes of television I’ve ever watched. And to have them back to back like that, I’ve only ever seen the drama and significant differences from one story to the next done so well in Mr. Robot.

Nell’s story is really beautiful and unique.

Also, the show 100% triggered sleep paralysis issues with me. It’s sonething I’ve had since college. I normally get it a couple times a month but in the days after seeing Nell struggle with it (pretty accurately portrayed aside from some minor differences that could be explained by the different ways people experience these things) I had it for four out of five nights including one night where I had several as I tried to fall asleep.

I get about 2-4 of those experiences a year as well and like you said, it's pretty much how Nell gets hers. We had a pretty big discussion about this in the Random thread I believe, and I wanna say Josie was the other person that used to get these

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I get about 2-4 of those experiences a year as well and like you said, it's pretty much how Nell gets hers. We had a pretty big discussion about this in the Random thread I believe, and I wanna say Josie was the other person that used to get these

I've never had sleep paralysis- musta been someone else. Hoss maybe? Idk. I have some friends who get it and it sounds effing terrible. I get middle of the night panic attacks from hell, which suck... but I did just get a weighted blanket and haven't had one since I started using it... 

42 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Isle of Dogs. If you like Wes Anderson movies, it's great. If you do not, it'll likely fall flat.

Also if you love dogs you might like it. 

If unfamiliar with Wes Anderson, the correct entry point is Rushmore.  

I think I'm one of the only people in the world who's somewhere in the middle on Wes Anderson. Being an art kid, I've been surrounded by Wes obsessed twee indie folks for years. Somehow I've only managed to see The Life Aquatic (which I did not like at all, but I'm also not a Bill Murray fan) and Moonrise Kingdom (which I really liked a lot) in their entirety. I've got some work to do haha 

11 hours ago, josie said:

I think I'm one of the only people in the world who's somewhere in the middle on Wes Anderson. Being an art kid, I've been surrounded by Wes obsessed twee indie folks for years. Somehow I've only managed to see The Life Aquatic (which I did not like at all, but I'm also not a Bill Murray fan) and Moonrise Kingdom (which I really liked a lot) in their entirety. I've got some work to do haha 

We watched Darjeeling Express recently (over the course or 2-3 nights; that's what being a parent does), it's worth a watch.

15 hours ago, josie said:

I think your data set of those two movies would lend itself to being in the middle. Moonrise Kingdom is indeed delightful while Life Aquatic is easily Anderson’s weakest movie.  Moonrise is sort of the gateway drug to Anderson’s movies.

I suggest you try Grand Budapest Hotel next, then if you like it go to Rushmore, then Royal Tennenbaums. 

Darjeeling Limited is good but IMO somewhat of a guy’s movie if that makes any sense.