Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

11 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Anyone watch Haunting of Hill House?  Lots of chatter about it when I was out at Nine Eleven (best wings in town) tonight .

Yes.  It's awesome.  One of the best shows I've ever watched.  Obviously highly recommend it.  The filming, acting, and setting are all top notch.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So my wife and I watched "Game Night," which is in the rotation on HBO.  Pretty enjoyable comedy/thriller with a really good cast (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Kyle Chandler, Jesse Plemons).  Solid B-plus for a home watch.

Enjoyed this as well.  Very funny with some great twists and turns.

12 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Anyone watch Haunting of Hill House?  Lots of chatter about it when I was out at Nine Eleven (best wings in town) tonight .

The wife and I have watched 3 episodes and I've fallen asleep half way through all three which says a lot since I don't usually become disengaged like that. The pace is slow but I'll attempt to power through leading up to halloween. Just might lose interest as well.

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

The wife and I have watched 3 episodes and I've fallen asleep half way through all three which says a lot since I don't usually become disengaged like that. The pace is slow but I'll attempt to power through leading up to halloween. Just might lose interest as well.

I'm shocked.  This is the first I've heard of anyone not liking it.  The pace does pick up I think, but it's hard for me to say since I didn't have the same issues with the pacing.  Hope you enjoy it more if you do continue on with it.

9 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

I'm shocked.  This is the first I've heard of anyone not liking it.  The pace does pick up I think, but it's hard for me to say since I didn't have the same issues with the pacing.  Hope you enjoy it more if you do continue on with it.

Yeah you know what its probably just me my wife is into it so we'll continue. When we first heard about the show the comments were to the effect that people were passing out because of fright which is over the top hyperbole but I kind of went into it thinking I was in for a real freakshow and I'm not sure it could live up to that so...the story itself isn't bad and I've never been a slasher fan so I'm glad there aren't any college kids being slaughtered at the lake. 

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah you know what its probably just me my wife is into it so we'll continue. When we first heard about the show the comments were to the effect that people were passing out because of fright which is over the top hyperbole but I kind of went into it thinking I was in for a real freakshow and I'm not sure it could live up to that so...the story itself isn't bad and I've never been a slasher fan so I'm glad there aren't any college kids being slaughtered at the lake. 

Yes, the fright factor was way over exaggerated.  It's more creepy and unsettling.  Not a whole lot of violence or gore at all.

Finished it, and I'd say it it ended up being middle of the pack for shows I've watched.  The middle of the season were the best episodes in my opinion, and when I said it was so great it was just after watching those episodes.  Solid B+/A- overall on my estimation of the nfreeman scale.  Definitely a good Halloween season show to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:03 PM, Indabuff said:

Watching this now and boy it’s incredible. Absolutely has a chance to land in my top five favorite seasons of any tv show. We’re through six episodes.

As a tv person the looooong one-shots in episode six had me giddy. The acting, writing, shooting and editing (especially) are next level. The color choices really drive home the whole show. I can’t recommend this enough. Even if scary isn’t your thing the story being told is beautiful albeit dark.

Edited by Hoss
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Finally saw Free Solo. I loved it.

I'm definitely a climbing enthusiast, but if you dig psychology/human extremes at all, you'd like it too. Honnold is one of those people- he's one brain wire short of being a sociopath- they do an MRI on him at one point and find out his amygdala pretty much just doesn't react to anything. so he's like, one tweak away from being someone who grew up to be a serial killer hahah

Now I need to see The Dawn Wall- about Tommy Caldwell (and Honnold's close friend in Free Solo). Long story short, he's an incredibly accomplished climber who, with a partner, managed to climb the Dawn Wall in Yosemite- a pretty much blank granite face previously uncompleted. Goes into his backstory a bit- homeboy accidentally cut off a finger with a table saw once- had it reattached- and then took it off again because he liked climbing better without it. And oh yeah, the whole getting held hostage in Kyrgyzstan while mountain climbing and killing a guard thing... 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, josie said:

Finally saw Free Solo. I loved it.

I'm definitely a climbing enthusiast, but if you dig psychology/human extremes at all, you'd like it too. Honnold is one of those people- he's one brain wire short of being a sociopath- they do an MRI on him at one point and find out his amygdala pretty much just doesn't react to anything. so he's like, one tweak away from being someone who grew up to be a serial killer hahah

Now I need to see The Dawn Wall- about Tommy Caldwell (and Honnold's close friend in Free Solo). Long story short, he's an incredibly accomplished climber who, with a partner, managed to climb the Dawn Wall in Yosemite- a pretty much blank granite face previously uncompleted. Goes into his backstory a bit- homeboy accidentally cut off a finger with a table saw once- had it reattached- and then took it off again because he liked climbing better without it. And oh yeah, the whole getting held hostage in Kyrgyzstan while mountain climbing and killing a guard thing... 

Ugh, sometimes living in a hick town sucks. I'd have to drive an hour and a half to see it, as our theater only shows Jerry Bruckheimer's works.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

I saw Venom last week. It wasn't good, in any artistic cinematic sense, but I was entertained. Entertainingly ok, if you will. Tom Hardy remains awesome.

FIFY

On 10/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, Huckleberry said:

Damn I was looking forward to that one ?

I seen it yesterday. If you like the Marvel series characters, you'll enjoy this one too. Tom Hardy does make the movie. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

So glad Ray Donovan is back on. All my series, sans TWD, are on hiatus and I was Jonesing for some good TV. 

BTW, I'm just about ready to quit The Walking Dead.  I felt the same way the final season of Lost. Enough already, it's just a soap opera at this point.  

Next week looks to be very high on imagery.  It may very well be the perfect point for people who want to stop watching.  Did you spot a certain someone in the scenes for next week?

I know I'm years late, but I'm still on my first watch-through of Breaking Bad. I go dormant with the show for months but then pick it up and watch quite a bit for a week or two at a time. But I'm going to finish it out on this stretch. I've been doing an episode after work before bed every night. Just finished "Crawl Space." My god this show is on another tier from anything I've ever watched in my life. I'm sitting here with goosebumps and my eyes wide open still and the episode ended 15 minutes ago. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know I'm years late, but I'm still on my first watch-through of Breaking Bad. I go dormant with the show for months but then pick it up and watch quite a bit for a week or two at a time. But I'm going to finish it out on this stretch. I've been doing an episode after work before bed every night. Just finished "Crawl Space." My god this show is on another tier from anything I've ever watched in my life. I'm sitting here with goosebumps and my eyes wide open still and the episode ended 15 minutes ago. 

If you like Crawl Space watch Mr. Robot. They have a lot of similar moments and vibes.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Are you actually able to stop after watching just one episode?  There's no way I could do that.