Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

The "Phillip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" on Amazon. I watched a couple of them. I'm not a Dick-head (no really, that's what some call themselves), so I'm watching these cold, and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I'd be interested in how these compare to the originals, though. I read Man in the High Castle along with watching some of the Amazon series, and it's similar but doesn't really follow the same plot. I thought Amazon's version was far more engaging. I heard something similar about Blade Runner (which I've neither seen nor read), so I'm wondering if Dick is a fantastic concept-generator but not as competent a story-teller.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Took wife and daughter to “Black Klansman” tonight (daughter’s 1st R-rated movie in a theater, BTW).  Pretty good — if you like Spike Lee, I think you’ll probably like this one.  More comparable to “Inside Man” than to “Do the right thing” IMHO.  

Didn’t know Inside Man was a Spike Lee joint until now. So good. Clive Owen kinda disappeared.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:20 AM, MattPie said:

The "Phillip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" on Amazon. I watched a couple of them. I'm not a Dick-head (no really, that's what some call themselves), so I'm watching these cold, and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I'd be interested in how these compare to the originals, though. I read Man in the High Castle along with watching some of the Amazon series, and it's similar but doesn't really follow the same plot. I thought Amazon's version was far more engaging. I heard something similar about Blade Runner (which I've neither seen nor read), so I'm wondering if Dick is a fantastic concept-generator but not as competent a story-teller.

Didn't know this, but apparently Blade runner is part of the Alien/Predator canon.    Which they are screwing up royally ?

• 2 weeks later...

A Star is Born.  See it.

Great movie. Amazing soundtrack.

Lady Gaga stole the show.  And that's taking nothing away from Bradley Cooper, who was excellent as well.  It will be interesting to see if a movie star was indeed born.

Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, and Dave Chappelle are very good in supporting roles.

Should be up for some serious hardware during award season.  

3 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

A Star is Born.  See it.

Great movie. Amazing soundtrack.

Lady Gaga stole the show.  And that's taking nothing away from Bradley Cooper, who was excellent as well.  It will be interesting to see if a movie star was indeed born.

Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, and Dave Chappelle are very good in supporting roles.

Should be up for some serious hardware during award season.  

Absolutely.  I saw it last Friday, and I've had the soundtrack stuck in my head ever since.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

In the Trailer it looks country. Is it all country ?

No, it's a pretty eclectic soundtrack with everything from country/blues/rock to ballads and pop/R&B music.  Lady Gaga is obviously the more talented singer of the two, but it blows me away that Bradley Cooper literally learned to play acoustic and electric guitar for the movie.  I'm no country fan and I really enjoyed it, so I'd say unless the main song in the trailer does nothing for you, it's worth a watch.

8 hours ago, biodork said:

No, it's a pretty eclectic soundtrack with everything from country/blues/rock to ballads and pop/R&B music.  Lady Gaga is obviously the more talented singer of the two, but it blows me away that Bradley Cooper literally learned to play acoustic and electric guitar for the movie.  I'm no country fan and I really enjoyed it, so I'd say unless the main song in the trailer does nothing for you, it's worth a watch.

Interesting. Thanks

I saw "First Man" this weekend, my wife was born in Merritt Island (Cape Canaveral) and was around for all the initial Gemini and Apollo launches. Movie is more about Neil Armstrong than the moon landing although that's a major part of the story also. A definite go see movie, my recommendation would be see it an an IMAX theatre. It won't be the same at home on a TV.

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yes Yes Yes 

i've been following Honnold for several years now. Can't wait to see this.  His gf is a pretty accomplished climber too. If you're on instagram, another couple to follow is Adrian Ballinger and Emily Harrington. Both are extreme climbers (he's a multiple summiter of Everest and I believe K2) and they're always doing cool projects. He just set up a via ferrata in Lake Tahoe. 

If you haven't, I highly recommend Valley Uprising on Netflix. Good little doc about the history of climbers in Yosemite, and wee Honnold is on it (of course he is, good lord, what a climber). 

RIT has little film festivals twice a year that are often in conjunction with REI or National Geographic, and they show all those crazy mountaineering/adventuring films. I have yet to get to one. Some day. Love that stuff. 

Edited by josie
  • Like (+1) 2