Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

So I haven't watched yet, but what is the handmaid tale about.... From the cover it looks like amish/Mennonite women getting all crazy?

Not exactly, LOL.  Cliff's Notes version: after a period of steeply declining fertility and birth rates, the US gov. is replaced by a strict theocratic (and almost caste) society where fertile women (The Handmaids) are rounded up and forced to have children for the Commanders.

Not exactly, LOL. Cliff's Notes version: after a period of steeply declining fertility and birth rates, the US gov. is replaced by a strict theocratic (and almost caste) society where fertile women (The Handmaids) are rounded up and forced to have children for the Commanders.

Oh wow, I am way off.... I like my idea better lol

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

New Super Troopers movie kinda sucked

I had a feeling it would.  I knew it was a bad sign when I looked at theater listings a week after it opened and it wasn't at either of the theaters I go to.  Any redeeming qualities at all?

Just now, shrader said:

I had a feeling it would.  I knew it was a bad sign when I looked at theater listings a week after it opened and it wasn't at either of the theaters I go to.  Any redeeming qualities at all?

The guys playing the mounties are funny, and Favre is actually consistently good. Other than that...not really, no

Picked up some weekend Redbox movies over the weekend - Jumanji and Red Sparrow. Jumanji was entertaining in that stupid funny nostalgia inducing remake of a classic. Not going to win any awards by any means, but my wife enjoyed it on a rainy Saturday. Red Sparrow was good, but was far more focused on the sexualization of the Russian operatives than I expected from a spy thriller. Once they got past teaching Jennifer Lawrence how to be a wh0re, which seemed gratuitous, it picked up and turned into an interesting story about the risky balance of playing both sides (US v. Russia) against each other for personal gain.

Both were pretty good, although for vastly different reasons. 

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

My wife and I just finished "Dark" on Netflix.  Recommended.  It's sort of a German version of "Stranger Things," albeit a bit...darker.  Beautiful scenery of the German countryside and very well done.

I agree. It was pretty good. The wife and myself watched it a few months ago and the Stranger Things comparison is spot on.

I'm not going to search the thread to recall if I mentioned it, but Peaky Blinders is one of the best series I've seen in quite a while. I'm glad they finally got renewed. I'm not sure if the actors are A list in England, but they aren't big names here. Except for Adrein Brody, Americans might recognize San Neill. The rest of the cast is relatively unknowns which makes it a fun show to watch. 

Some top notch acting in this series. 

19 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I can agree with that. Was a really good choice as the follow up release to infinity war pt1

Definitely.  A nice bridge between the last Captain America Movie (which was terrible) and the next Avengers.

In general, I'm just happy Marvel movies have turned the corner. Outside of Cap 2, I think Phase 2 was pretty uninspiring as a whole, right up to and including the second Avengers. Phase 3 has been fantastic from start to finish. The "lowlight" for me is probably Guardians 2, which was still really good. Ultimately I think they're best off when they tell tight, personal stories for each hero, rather than obsessing with tying everything together on a grand scale throughout the entirety of every film.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In general, I'm just happy Marvel movies have turned the corner. Outside of Cap 2, I think Phase 2 was pretty uninspiring as a whole, right up to and including the second Avengers. Phase 3 has been fantastic from start to finish. The "lowlight" for me is probably Guardians 2, which was still really good. Ultimately I think they're best off when they tell tight, personal stories for each hero, rather than obsessing with tying everything together on a grand scale throughout the entirety of every film.

I agree with this pretty much completely. At least Winter Solider is one of the best in the series. 

I liked Ultron decently enough. But it's easily the weakest of the 3 Avengers movies thus far, I'd say. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

I wasn’t crazy about Guardians 2 after my first viewing thanks to over doing the comedy. It has really grown on me. The story about family in there is really good. Tone down Drax a bit and it’s really good. 

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Rewatched the Force Awakens... the newest Star Wars movies have all knocked it out of the park. Kylo Ren is a very great villain with flaws (people don’t like him because he’s flawed but that’s his entire idea).

I watched this movie for the first time a week ago. Kylo Ren was an annoying, emo-raging teenager.  Made me roll my eyes on more than one occasion. Probably the second weakest part of the film, behind Finn's introduction.

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

I watched this movie for the first time a week ago. Kylo Ren was an annoying, emo-raging teenager.  Made me roll my eyes on more than one occasion. Probably the second weakest part of the film, behind Finn's introduction.

I agree with the the annoying emo part.  Not a teenager but seemed to be playing the emo teenager character.  Poorly thought out IMO.  I don't mind villans with flaws, I just thought this flaw was more annoying than anything else.

Watched 4 movies recently and all were awesome

A Perfect World-  Gran Torino-  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and  Hell or High Water 

I'm not sure which one was my favorite. All were better than I expected especially Dragon Tattoo, great performance by Rooney Mara. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Am I the only one who finds the marvel, DC and Star Wars movies more or less the same level of meh?

They are like potato chips or a Snickers bar.  Not much substance but satisfy a basic craving.  They are fluffy, vapid entertainment. And that is exactly why I enjoy watching them.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Am I the only one who finds the marvel, DC and Star Wars movies more or less the same level of meh?

You definitely are not the only one.  I don't know which ones are DC and which ones are Marvel, but I haven't enjoyed a superhero movie in a really long time.  The Dark Knight was okay, and before that, I think I have to go back a couple of decades.

I haven't watched the new Star Wars movies because I-III sucked so bad.