4) Denial

5) Moonlight

6) Edge of 17

7) Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping

8) Nerve

9) Finding Dory

10) Arrival

HM: Deadpool; Christine; Hail, Ceasar! ; and The Handmaiden

Still have a few movies left to see this year. I could definitely see Fences and Jackie shaking up the entire list. I really hope they do.

The Mrs. and I watched the Lobster last night (yay Prime Video), and I thought it was quite good, if a little odd. 

Unfortunately that's the only movie in your top 10 i've seen this year :(

Reservior dogs is super focused, though. H8ful Ate was suuuper loooooonnnngggg. Like QT just needed a 4th vacation home or something.

Agreed it was much worse and not really all that interesting. I liked Reservior Dogs well enough, but the concept didn't need to be re-done in a different setting.

The Witch is an incredible period piece. If you're interested in 17th century New England, you MUST see this movie. Unlike most period pieces, it's also a horror film. It's a genre mixing masterpiece that leaves the audience doubting what they know and what they've seen.

I remember watching the Shining and thinking that Danny is the greatest child performance of all time. The Witch comes in and casually drops 4 incredible child performances all at the same time. Not just that, they're also using period language and still expressing a wide range of emotion.

The Witch! Ahh I gotta re-watch it tonight.

Edited by qwksndmonster

The Witch is an incredible period piece. If you're interested in 17th century New England, you MUST see this movie. Unlike most period pieces, it's also a horror film. It's a genre mixing masterpiece that leaves the audience doubting what they know and what they've seen.

I remember watching the Shining and thinking that Danny is the greatest child performance of all time. The Witch comes in and casually drops 4 incredible child performances all at the same time. Not just that, they're also using period language and still expressing a wide range of emotion.

The Witch! Ahh I gotta re-watch it tonight.

I'll have to check it out - plus it looks like it is included in Prime Video :w00t:

I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

The Mrs. and I watched the Lobster last night (yay Prime Video), and I thought it was quite good, if a little odd.

Unfortunately that's the only movie in your top 10 i've seen this year :(

Definitely more than a little odd hahaha.

Yeah I see a lot of movies. My girlfriend works part time at regal so I get to see nearly every major release for free. For indie releases, we drive up to Ithaca and eat delicious Thai or Indian food and then go to Cinemapolis. God bless Ithaca, the bastion of culture in the Southern Tier.

Top 10 movies that came out this year:

1) The Witch

2) The Lobster

3) Nocturnal Animals

4) Denial

5) Moonlight

6) Edge of 17

7) Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping

8) Nerve

9) Finding Dory

10) Arrival

HM: Deadpool; Christine; Hail, Ceasar! ; and The Handmaiden

Still have a few movies left to see this year. I could definitely see Fences and Jackie shaking up the entire list. I really hope they do.

I think I've heard of two of your top 10 :lol:

Denial is an amazing film that captures the political landscape of 2016 perfectly.

It's about a Jewish Studies professor (played by Rachel Weisz) who is forced to prove that the Holocaust actually occured in court.

The following could be construed as spoilers, but it's more or less the jumping off point of the movie. I don't think reading this will ruin the experience for anyone.

Instead of comparing Donald Trump to Hitler, this movie (very cleverly) decided to compare him to holocaust deniers. The main character being forced to prove the holocaust actually occured in court is allegorical of how the alt-right forces the conversation into proving that racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia even exist in the first place. The society we live in accepts that this is what passes for political discourse in this day and age, silencing the voices of those who have actually suffered and legitimizing the voices of bigots.

I cannot reccomend this movie enough, and it pains and angers me that I'm not even sure if it's kosher to talk about the subject matter on this board. But, holy god, is it important.

I'll have to check it out - plus it looks like it is included in Prime Video :w00t:

I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

Sorry Qwk, but the Witch was a little too indie/period piece specific for my liking. I can appreciate the authenticity, but it was far too slow paced for my liking.

That and I had a sick wife who just wanted to be entertained, and she was decidedly not.

I thought Doctor Strange had phenomenal special effects but the movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be. 

I also thought Hacksaw Ridge was very good, didn't see it listed here, Vince Vaughan's best role in a long time.

Arrival was also very good but much different than what I expected when I went in. Amy Adams will get nominated for her role

Being a Star Wars fan, I thought Rogue One was one of the better one's in its genre. 

This is not a recent movie but in honor of Denzel Washington and his 62nd Bday, shoutout to Remember The Titans. Great movie, GREAT actor.

I've been binge-watching "The Night Manager" on Amazon the past few days. Pretty good 6-part spy thriller.

Good Series! Hope they find a way to continue the story somehow.

I want to see Split so badly. Looks like an amazing acting performance

My wife just saw the preview for Split online and was really excited to see it, so we will definitely be catching that one when it comes out.

I am a bit worried that all her reading and movie material is centered around serial killers and psychopaths. I might start sleeping with the light on for my safety :unsure:

Saw Bad Santa 2 online and it was great. As dirty/perverse/awesome as the first and they upgraded in the love interest department for Billy Bob (Lauren Graham out and Christina Hendricks in) but no real gratuitous shots of her though, unfortunately. If you liked the first one, the sequel is definitely worth a watch. If you didn't see the first one, you suck at life. It's awesome.

Edited by Drunkard

My wife and I have been watching "The Crown" on Netflix.  It's pretty good, but not great, and pretty slow in some spots.

The reason I mention it is that in the episode we watched last night, the actor who plays Stannis Baratheon on Game of Thrones has a pretty big role as Winston Churchill's portrait artist.  He was really good, but it was a bit strange as he was almost physically unrecognizable, but the voice was the same.

• 2 weeks later...