Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 2 movies in theaters yesterday.  Fantastic Beasts and The Edge of 17.  Fantastic Beasts was eh. Pretty good, but I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters.

Edge of 17 was sooooo good.  They nailed what it's like to be a know it all teenager.  There were a few lines in the movie that made me laugh so hard and feel so personally figured out. Hailee Steinfeld is an incredible young actor. She just lights up the screen.  Woody Harrelson keeps cementing the special place in my heart he's had since Zombieland came out.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This is from the spring, but an HBO movie called "All the Way," which looks at how LBJ and to a lesser extent MLK navigated the first year after Kennedy was killed and got the Civil Rights Act passed, was absolutely brilliant. Bryan Cranston as Johnson, unbelievable. Actually, very believable. It was one of those performances where I bought into it so much I thought I was seeing LBJ himself. The prosthetic nose and ears and makeup get huge credit, but the actor nailed it. What else would you expect from Cranston? It might have been a better portrayal of an American president than Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. I'm serious. If you like this kind of stuff, don't miss it. Plus, they worked in the infamous and raunchy instructions LBJ gave to his tailor. (Bradley Whitford of West Wing fame was also very, very good as Hubert Humphrey.)

Edited by PASabreFan

Saw 2 movies in theaters yesterday.  Fantastic Beasts and The Edge of 17.  Fantastic Beasts was eh. Pretty good, but I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters.

Edge of 17 was sooooo good.  They nailed what it's like to be a know it all teenager.  There were a few lines in the movie that made me laugh so hard and feel so personally figured out. Hailee Steinfeld is an incredible young actor. She just lights up the screen.  Woody Harrelson keeps cementing the special place in my heart he's had since Zombieland came out.

Woody Harrelson is always "Woody Boyd" to me. Haven't really seen anything since that to supplant it.

I watched The Plot to Kill Hitler on YouTube ... yup.

It was good and I believe historically accurate.

The biggest problem with these kind of movies, well most of them, is that all the German characters speak perfect English and not one word of German.

It's kind of understandable, no? James Mason was "totally" convincing as Rommel, so why not. :)

It's kind of understandable, no? James Mason was "totally" convincing as Rommel, so why not. :)

I think that's the one from 2008 with Tom Cruise ... yuk.

The one I watched was from 1990 and the guy who played Rommel, while speaking perfect English, as least looked like him, kind of, and had blue eyes.

I saw fantastic beasts...But have never seen the Potter movies (though I got the jist from many visits to Harry Potter world at Universal studios) and I enjoyed it, I think I missed what exactly happened at the end with Colin Ferrell but overall a pretty cool movie.

Colin Farrell turned into Johnny Depp.

Edited by qwksndmonster

The opening scene in He Got Game (the opening credits sequence) might be my favorite of all time.

It's such a deeply emotional love letter to the beauty of basketball.  The Copland score is both beautiful and unsettling.  Beautiful to underscore the passion, unsettling because of what this movie is about.

It evokes, to me, all those times I'm at the pond alone.  Maybe my siblings just left, maybe it was just a solo skate anyways.  When the only thing that's on my mind is what I'm going to do with the puck next.  I can't stop going around one more time, getting one more shot, one more dangle.  All my stress and worry and insecurity is gone.  It's just me, the stars, and hockey.

The scene that uses Hoedown 7 minutes later in the movie is also incredible.

The use of the Copland music really captures the pace of basketball well.  They're grinding and assessing until it's time to make a move... and it is glorious. There's probably an added level of emotion for me in these scenes because I played lots of Copland in high school and music was by far the most positive part of my high school experience.

Edited by qwksndmonster