Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

On 6/29/2022 at 12:46 AM, drnkirishone said:

only got 2 more days to wait for the second half of season 4

Is season 4 better than season 3, cuz I thought 3 was kinda painful? It was like Hollywood came in and took a dump on a decent franchise.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Is season 4 better than season 3, cuz I thought 3 was kinda painful? It was like Hollywood came in and took a dump on a decent franchise.

It’s been a while since I saw the previous season, but I feel like they ramped up the scare factor a bit with the new season. Personally I think the cast is a bit too big and too spread out now, but I think it’s been very well done. One subplot felt mostly pointless to me, but not intolerably so. 

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

I didn't hate season 3. It wasn't as good as the first 2 but I didn't hate it.

Season 4 so far has been pretty good. However I am known as someone that is easy to please when it comes to the media I watch.

One of the catchphrases the show runners have repeated in interviews about season 4 is how the cast has aged up so they can ramp up the horror aspects of the show

• 2 weeks later...

A few shows I've watched recently:

- Stranger Things -- pretty enjoyable -- I think if you like the show generally, you'll like Season 4.  It's not great, or as good as Season 1 was, but still pretty good IMHO.

- Terminal List -- similarly, not great but pretty enjoyable and it gets much better after the 1st episode, which was just OK IMHO.  I recently took a long trip and was glad to have it downloaded and ready in my ipad.

- Hustle -- very good if you like the NBA.  If you don't like the NBA, I would skip it.

- The Old Man -- pretty good spy thriller, although the last couple of episodes have been a bit slow.

- Slow Horses -- also a pretty good spy thriller.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- Terminal List -- similarly, not great but pretty enjoyable and it gets much better after the 1st episode, which was just OK IMHO.  I recently took a long trip and was glad to have it downloaded and ready in my ipad.

First episode was pretty awful. Much better after that. Basically just Law Abiding Citizen in the Navy. Was pretty predictable, but it’s based off of the kind of book series you find in the airport so that’s expected. I enjoyed it once I made it through episode 1. 

For fans of the "Godfather", I recommend "The Offer" on Paramount+.  It's a 10-part drama series on the making of the Godfather as told in a book by the Producer Al Ruddy.  So many chances that the movie would never of been made and how the "mafia" itself was involved.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, #freejame said:

First episode was pretty awful. Much better after that. Basically just Law Abiding Citizen in the Navy. Was pretty predictable, but it’s based off of the kind of book series you find in the airport so that’s expected. I enjoyed it once I made it through episode 1. 

Yes -- I almost bailed after the first episode, but starting with episode 2 I was all in.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, nfreeman said:

- Stranger Things -- pretty enjoyable -- I think if you like the show generally, you'll like Season 4.  It's not great, or as good as Season 1 was, but still pretty good IMHO.

- Hustle -- very good if you like the NBA.  If you don't like the NBA, I would skip it.

- The Old Man -- pretty good spy thriller, although the last couple of episodes have been a bit slow.

- Slow Horses -- also a pretty good spy thriller.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, #freejame said:

Terminal list is a perfect example of how someone’s hair can completely ruin a TV show.  Chris Pratt’s lettuce is god awful.  Not sure if it’s that way for a different role or what but it looks like bad 80s hair meets Ward Cleaver.  

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

The Batman.  Grimy, I liked it a lot.

I liked it, but didn't love it.

Saw it when it came out. It was good but not great.  There was nothing I didn't like about it, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was that didn't make me love it.  I am still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:49 PM, ubkev said:

Hey everyone. That new Jurassic Park movie sucked. But it was mildly amusing that they went with Bill Gates as the basis for the bad guy character.

*****in terrible.

To me it was OK, that is it.

Every other past Jurassic park movie was pretty much the same to me. Introduce things, stuff starts going wrong, then they all end basically the same way.  Same thing movie after movie, after movie.

Half way though the new one, I actually LIKED it (more than usual at least) because it seemed like the movie was more about the characters, the humans.  It wasn't oscar worthy, but I enjoyed the focus on the human characters.  But it didn't last, the ending was just a new version of the same old stuff.

Edited by mjd1001

Seen a few things lately ...

Top Gun: Maverick - Hard to take my nostalgia glasses off to give a fair assessment, but with them on, I loved it.  Nothing groundbreaking, but good times and good memories.  Really glad I got to see it on the big screen.  Also had a bit of old school Iron Eagle feel to it.

Jurassic Park: Dominion - The JAG of the Jurassic Park series.  A lot of been there, done that, seen it before.  Not bad, but I would choose to watch several others in the series before it.

The Terminal List - Pretty good action series, but it seemed like things played out faster than I expected.  Maybe I'm just used to series dragging things out, now.

Thor: Love and Thunder - 95% a good, fun movie.  Action and comedy, like you'd expect.  The other 5%, well ... I can't remember how to code spoilers here ...

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watched a couple good 3 episode documentaries yesterday on a lazy day off recovering from vacation.  The Woodstock 99 series was a horrifying spectacle, but could not stop watching it.  Also watched the Victoria's Secret documentary, which goes into the company and its very deep ties to Epstein, among other things.

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I finished Binging on Alone. Now finishing up Better Call Saul, and What We Do In The Shadows. In the next week or so.

Next up… Binging Stranger Things, Alone: Frozen, American Horror Story, and Narcos.

That should take me to Walking Dead finale and the NHL season.

We like watching Alone, pushing themselves to the limit. I love the creativity in building shelters and the ability to get food.

• Like (+1) 1

So I bailed on the following 2 shows, each about 2/3 of the way through their only seasons:

- We Own this City -- HBO -- started off as a pretty good successor to The Wire, but got boring and preachy

- Outer Range -- Amazon -- started off as an interesting feud between neighboring ranches with a supernatural element, but got too weird.

I was also pretty close to bailing on The Old Man, which started off as a really good spy thriller, but slowed way down into a family melodrama.  I'm probably out for season 2.