Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I posted about this upthread, but I am now officially recommending "the Expanse" on Amazon Prime.  It's a sci-fi thriller with certain reminders of "Game of Thrones" -- i.e. multiple storylines in different locations that eventually come together, warring kingdoms, machiavellian political scheming, a supernatural threat, good-to-great action scenes, etc.

Season 1 was good but not great -- about a B.  Season 2, which I just finished, was very good -- solid A-minus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I posted about this upthread, but I am now officially recommending "the Expanse" on Amazon Prime.  It's a sci-fi thriller with certain reminders of "Game of Thrones" -- i.e. multiple storylines in different locations that eventually come together, warring kingdoms, machiavellian political scheming, a supernatural threat, good-to-great action scenes, etc.

Season 1 was good but not great -- about a B.  Season 2, which I just finished, was very good -- solid A-minus.

Absolutely. The world they created is totally believable. The politics, the physics, it's awesome. I've watched it twice,... but i was drunk the first time.

Just began (fist episode) How to get away with Murder.

It seems interesting. Anyone see the whole thing yet? Is it worth the time?

Edit: so I watched two more episodes. It’s good. But so far it seems very “soap opera-ee”.

Edited by Zamboni

14 hours ago, ubkev said:

I'm watching The King of Staten Island tonight. Pete Davidson, Bill Burr and Marisa Tomei directed by Judd Apatow. Should be great.

Hmmm. Maybe. I cringe at Davidson, but Burr might draw me in —and Tomei is best known for being George Costanza's crush (not really). (How Burr is not cringe-worthy, I dunno.)

19.99 on YouTube? Uh, no.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Hmmm. Maybe. I cringe at Davidson, but Burr might draw me in —and Tomei is best known for being George Costanza's crush (not really). (How Burr is not cringe-worthy, I dunno.)

19.99 on YouTube? Uh, no.

I'd have gone to see it in theaters. So I just looked at it like that. It was basically a biopic into part of Pete Davidson's life. It had a lot of heart and some good laughs. 

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

I'd have gone to see it in theaters. So I just looked at it like that. It was basically a biopic into part of Pete Davidson's life. It had a lot of heart and some good laughs. 

So you're factoring in cost to get there, drink, candy and ticket? Still seems steep. I won't pay it, no sir.

Is this the new model for releasing feature films? Charge twice the cost of a theater ticket?

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So you're factoring in cost to get there, drink, candy and ticket? Still seems steep. I won't pay it, no sir.

Is this the new model for releasing feature films? Charge twice the cost of a theater ticket?

I doubt he watched it alone.

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

We walk to the theater in the summer. I figure it's the best chance for my kid to become Batman. 

And yeah, sure $20 for a movie is pretty steep. But I haven't bought gas since March 22. I figure I can blow a little cash.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Tickets are only $10 over there? That's a matinee price near me.

3 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Tickets are only $10 over there? That's a matinee price near me.

$5 on Tuesday night round here. We throw a water bottle in our pockets and that's all she wrote. 

Edited by ubkev

I caught bits and pieces of each movie in the Star Wars trilogy over the course of the day. I really miss the original versions. Every single addition they made in the 90s re-release sticks out like a sore thumb. And I’m not even talking about the greedo shot first stuff,you can’t randomly insert 90s graphics into a 70s movie and expect it to look right. 

36 minutes ago, shrader said:

I caught bits and pieces of each movie in the Star Wars trilogy over the course of the day. I really miss the original versions. Every single addition they made in the 90s re-release sticks out like a sore thumb. And I’m not even talking about the greedo shot first stuff,you can’t randomly insert 90s graphics into a 70s movie and expect it to look right. 

The only versions for me nowadays are the Harmy's Despecialized Editions. It's a high-quality fan edit that you have to hunt down around the various file sharing websites out there. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but they're excellent and worth it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy's_Despecialized_Edition

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Fast & Furious (2009) is the best movie in the franchise. And I love all of them except for 2 Fast 2 Furious. Man, that one sucked.

I will respectfully disagree.  The stunts and action sequences have improved with each movie.  They’ve also gotten some good actors and big stars to take smaller one-off roles as the franchise has gotten bigger.  The dialogue may have gotten a bit dumber but they were already starting at a fairly low point. 

Having said that, “Hobbs and Shaw” was pretty bad IMHO.  

We’re watching Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich. Pretty unbelievable,... yet, completely believable.

Fun fact. You can see the Pegula’s yacht in some of the shots.

Kind of unfortunate.

Edited by SwampD

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Wife and I are watching an old 90’s show called Dead Like Me.

Art Bell used to talk about this show often. Its pretty good. Different....

That's a good show. Think it was in the oughts, though.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Wife and I are watching an old 90’s show called Dead Like Me.

Art Bell used to talk about this show often. Its pretty good. Different....

I friggin' loved that show back in the day.  I was pissed it ended after two seasons.  Patinkin looks completely different compared to back then.