Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

My wife and I saw “The Gentlemen” last night.  Pretty entertaining.  If you liked Guy Ritchie’s previous crime thrillers (“*****” and “Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels”), you’ll like this one. 

EDIT: his first one got blocked by the filter!  It rhymes with “hatch.”

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My wife and I saw “The Gentlemen” last night.  Pretty entertaining.  If you liked Guy Ritchie’s previous crime thrillers (“*****” and “Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels”), you’ll like this one. 

I like dags

11 hours ago, inkman said:

Rewatching Breaking Bad due to the pre El Camino/Better Call Saul launches.  It's at least my third time watching it and it never disappoints.  

Everyone hates Skylar but I'm a sucker for a blond with a nice rack.  Seeing Mike again gives me the warm and fuzzies.  Just a treat to watch.  

I'm also in a place in my life where I relate to Walter a lot more than previous times watched.  Oh and Hank gets me rolling every episode.  

That and Hank has pretty much the greatest name of all time.

And what's this El Camino launch you mentioned?  Did they do something more with it other than the netflix release maybe 6 or so months ago?

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Saw that with the lady over the weekend, liked it a lot. Hugh Grant was incredible in that

I got through The Irishman. It didn't really feel that long. A very good film.

Then I stumbled on another film with Ray Romano, this one much shorter. Paddleton. Romano plays a dim-witted man with a dull sense of humor, in other words, himself. Andy and his downstairs neighbor, Michael, are weird loners who have only each other, really, in this world. They're not gay, probably. It's just a bromance. If you think it's weird when your buddy wants you to help him move, wait until you hear what Michael needs Andy's help with. One reviewer called it Dumb and Dumber with tears. The resolution of the movie is powerful, and the final scene is full of hope.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I got through The Irishman. It didn't really feel that long. A very good film.

Then I stumbled on another film with Ray Romano, this one much shorter. Paddleton. Romano plays a dim-witted man with a dull sense of humor, in other words, himself. Andy and his downstairs neighbor, Michael, are weird loners who have only each other, really, in this world. They're not gay, probably. It's just a bromance. If you think it's weird when your buddy wants you to help him move, wait until you hear what Michael needs Andy's help with. One reviewer called it Dumb and Dumber with tears. The resolution of the movie is powerful, and the final scene is full of hope.

That line had me LMFAO.  Never understood his popularity but I have to keep in my mind the reason his show, young Sheldon, Two and a half men and the worst one yet Two Broke Girls are popular is that our society is low brow. Not in a stupid dick joke schtick that I enjoy but this milquetoast, bland, boring, I'm not sure how it's even funny kinda way. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, inkman said:

That line had me LMFAO.  Never understood his popularity but I have to keep in my mind the reason his show, young Sheldon, Two and a half men and the worst one yet Two Broke Girls are popular is that our society is low brow. Not in a stupid dick joke schtick that I enjoy but this milquetoast, bland, boring, I'm not sure how it's even funny kinda way. 

It's no coincidence that each show you named aired on the same network.

• Like (+1) 1

Wife and I caught The Hate U Give on HBO last night as we always try to check the movies that are leaving at the end of the month to make sure we don't miss a good one. It was really excellent story about the challenges of living in a poor black neighborhood and how drugs, fear, and wealth privilege all play a huge part in the opportunities available to kids in that area. The central conflict was focused on police brutality, but there were more story arcs to follow as you got into it. I'd recommend it if you still haven't cancelled HBO from the GOT days...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been binging Game of Thrones over the last couple weeks.  That show had to have been maddening for those who watched it on a weekly basis.  There's so many moments where a character will have a major moment and then not appear again for several episodes, or in some cases, several seasons.  It's one thing when you watch several back to back, but on a weekly basis I'd imagine people forgot some of the storylines.  Then with some of the child actors, they're significantly older the next time you see them.

11 hours ago, shrader said:

I've been binging Game of Thrones over the last couple weeks.  That show had to have been maddening for those who watched it on a weekly basis.  There's so many moments where a character will have a major moment and then not appear again for several episodes, or in some cases, several seasons.  It's one thing when you watch several back to back, but on a weekly basis I'd imagine people forgot some of the storylines.  Then with some of the child actors, they're significantly older the next time you see them.

Such a great show though.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I saw "1917" last night and thought it was excellent.  Solid A.

We just saw it tonight.  Pretty awesome flick.

As far as small screen goes, now that Bojack Horseman is complete I've been kind of looking at other shows... Usually it takes two or three shows to pull me in, but after one episode I think The Kominsky Method is going to be a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I saw "1917" last night and thought it was excellent.  Solid A.

I'm fascinated by the concept of the single shot movie.  I saw a quick snippet about how the directors filmed this it was intriguing. I've read more about it in recent days.  I'm short on time and probably won't head to the movies to see it, but I'm looking forward to watching it at some point.

5 hours ago, LTS said:

I'm fascinated by the concept of the single shot movie.  I saw a quick snippet about how the directors filmed this it was intriguing. I've read more about it in recent days.  I'm short on time and probably won't head to the movies to see it, but I'm looking forward to watching it at some point.

After reading about the single shot approach, it sounds like they were actually quite a few cuts, so although the scenes were longer than normal, it wasn’t like a single two hour cut (although it was put together to look like essentially two very long scenes in the entire movie).  In any case, it was beautifully done and the effect is quite compelling.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

After reading about the single shot approach, it sounds like they were actually quite a few cuts, so although the scenes were longer than normal, it wasn’t like a single two hour cut (although it was put together to look like essentially two very long scenes in the entire movie).  In any case, it was beautifully done and the effect is quite compelling.

Of course there are multiple cuts. Could you imagine the filming process if they had to do it all at once? 90 minutes in and the guy boots a line, oh well, have to start the whole thing over. 

I do want to watch that again just to find the cuts. Some are kind of obvious, like a shot of the sky or when the camera pans past an obstruction. But whatever, the whole thing was pretty impressive. I’m sure it’s a lot easier to do now than it was 50 or so years ago. 

On 2/9/2020 at 12:05 AM, Doohickie said:

As far as small screen goes, now that Bojack Horseman is complete I've been kind of looking at other shows... Usually it takes two or three shows to pull me in, but after one episode I think The Kominsky Method is going to be a winner.

I enjoyed The Kominsky Method, I’m not as old as Michael Douglas but I like the “old guy” comedy.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:05 PM, Doohickie said:

Binge watched season 2 when it released.  Great series.