Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Irishman was good, mostly. Casting DeNiro to play the entirety of Frank's life was an awful choice though. They have a 60 something year old actor being called 'kid' and have him portraying a 25 year old guy for 1/3 of the movie and all they did was dye his hair, it's ***** insane. He's beyond obviously old and they just force to you that he's this young gun even though when he's kicking he legit needs a cane or he might fall over. I get you like DeNiro, Scorsese, but for the love of god just hire a younger actor for that section of a 3 hour film. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Irishman was good, mostly. Casting DeNiro to play the entirety of Frank's life was an awful choice though. They have a 60 something year old actor being called 'kid' and have him portraying a 25 year old guy for 1/3 of the movie and all they did was dye his hair, it's ***** insane. He's beyond obviously old and they just force to you that he's this young gun even though when he's kicking he legit needs a cane or he might fall over. I get you like DeNiro, Scorsese, but for the love of god just hire a younger actor for that section of a 3 hour film. 

I was bored to tears.

• 2 weeks later...

The McCallister family are the worst people on Earth! After watching Home Alone, I was convinced they should all be shot in the back of the head. But after watching Home Alone 2, I'm positive they should all be shot directly in the face.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

....are you just now seeing Home Alone? 

It's amazing to me how many extremely popular pop culture type things I've never seen or heard. I've never seen that movie. I've never seen Christmas Vacation — can't stand Chevy Chase. I don't think I've seen any Star Wars movies ever. Give me a good drama or biopic. Comedies, animated, sci-fi, action are not for me. I know I'm missing some good ones.

On another Home Alone note, I took a nap yesterday while listening to Christmas music on public radio — popular songs but in an orchestral style with a choir. A British tenor sang a Christmas song I don't think I've heard, and it was so powerful and moving one of the lines instantly had me welled up with tears as I was vividly transported to the floor of my living room, Christmas circa 1976, surrounded by Clue, Perfection and Coleco Stanley Cup board hockey. It was John Williams' "Somewhere in My Memory" and it's from Home Alone. Who knew (other than everybody else).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The Witcher, anyone? Two episodes in and waiting for some semblance of storyline convergence other than his name being thrown around. Otherwise, the sword-play is enrapturing, not to mention production value. I like it. Never read the books or played the games.

15 minutes ago, will said:

The Witcher, anyone? Two episodes in and waiting for some semblance of storyline convergence other than his name being thrown around. Otherwise, the sword-play is enrapturing, not to mention production value. I like it. Never read the books or played the games.

Having played the games and read the books, I loved it. For someone watching it without having read/played the other media I am not sure how well it will translate

21 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Having played the games and read the books, I loved it. For someone watching it without having read/played the other media I am not sure how well it will translate

Agreed. I'm almost done with it now and it has been good but I will agree that the show almost expects that its viewers have played the games or are familiar with the stories. If this was your first experience with the Witcher universe I could see it being a bit confusing who Geralt/Yennifer/Ciri are and why they have magical powers.

I finished “the Irishman” on Netflix last night.  Broke it into 2 sittings.  I don’t disagree with those upthread who thought it was slow but I still really enjoyed it. 

If you want the opposite end of the pace spectrum, “6 Underground” on Netflix is a pretty good albeit dumb new action thriller with Ryan Reynolds and directed by Michael Bay.  

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I finished “the Irishman” on Netflix last night.  Broke it into 2 sittings.  I don’t disagree with those upthread who thought it was slow but I still really enjoyed it. 

If you want the opposite end of the pace spectrum, “6 Underground” on Netflix is a pretty good albeit dumb new action thriller with Ryan Reynolds and directed by Michael Bay.  

Six underground was good. I enjoyed the deadpool like humour from Reynolds.

• Like (+1) 1

6 Underground is among the worst movies I've seen in years. Reynolds was very good, but the movie itself was unbelievably bad. Even the action scenes, which should have been enough to make it at less entertaining, were horrid. One moment this car has no side mirror and a giant scratch down the whole side. Same car, next scene, perfect condition! It looks like it got edited by an undergrad who couldn't pass into to film. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

6 Underground is among the worst movies I've seen in years. Reynolds was very good, but the movie itself was unbelievably bad. Even the action scenes, which should have been enough to make it at less entertaining, were horrid. One moment this car has no side mirror and a giant scratch down the whole side. Same car, next scene, perfect condition! It looks like it got edited by an undergrad who couldn't pass into to film. 

Fortunately I’m able to suspend my belief when watching the usual fair from the likes of  Michael Bay. Newsflash- most of the action scenes can’t possibly happen in real life without mass casualties to normal humans either. Lol but that reality doesn’t stop most people from allowing themselves the ability of enjoying the make believe of an action film. Its not a Kubrik.