Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

• 2 weeks later...

So my wife and I finished binging “Succession.”   I think season 2 was a bit better than season 1, although still not quite as good as the hype.  Still pretty good though and very funny.  Solid B-plus. 

We also saw “Ford vs Ferrari” last night.  A bit corny but pretty enjoyable.  Matt Damon was very good.  My wife thought Christian Bale was really good.  I think he’s a good actor but find him kinda annoying.  In any case I give it a B-plus.

BTW, we saw it in a theater with reserved seats — it’s pretty nice to go to a sold-out movie on a Saturday night and not have to worry about getting there early to not get stuck in the first row.  

I just watched “Russian 5” on a plane.  It’s a documentary about Federov, Konstantinov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov and the ‘90s red wings.  It was really good.  Great footage of the Colorado-Detroit wars of that era and a lot of interesting parts to the story that I hadn’t known or had forgotten.   

On 11/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, Curt said:

It’s not new, but I just recently watched the film “Room” on Netflix.  It’s really great.  Anyone who hasn’t seen it should watch.

I read a book with that title a while ago. Didn't like it very much. Is it about some psychopath keeping a girl and their child locked up in a shed for years?

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I read a book with that title a while ago. Didn't like it very much. Is it about some psychopath keeping a girl and their child locked up in a shed for years?

Yeah, that’s it.  Maybe it’s an exception to the rule, and the movie is better than the book.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I just watched “Russian 5” on a plane.  It’s a documentary about Federov, Konstantinov, Larionov, Kozlov, Fetisov and the ‘90s red wings.  It was really good.  Great footage of the Colorado-Detroit wars of that era and a lot of interesting parts to the story that I hadn’t known or had forgotten.   

I'm assuming you downloaded that one ahead of time.  If that one was available on the plane, I'm incredibly impressed.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm assuming you downloaded that one ahead of time.  If that one was available on the plane, I'm incredibly impressed.

Believe it or not, it was on Delta’s on-demand video. 

Separately, one of the parts to the story that I had forgotten was the circumstances of Konstantinov’s car accident after the 1997 cup win.  This was a very sad story:  5 days after Detroit’s 1st cup win in 41 years (which came after a couple of great regular seasons with the Russians that ended in playoff heartbreaks), the team got together for their last hangout before the summer, a golf tournament.  They had booked a bunch of limos so they didn’t need to worry about drinking and driving. 

But the driver of the limo used by Konstantinov, Fetisov and one of the trainers fell asleep behind the wheel (it turns out his license was suspended for DWI at the time) and the car crashed pretty violently in a 1-car accident.  Fetisov wasn’t badly hurt but Konstantinov and the trainer were nearly killed.   Konstantinov was in a coma and on life support for an extended period and was given less than a 10% chance of survival.  He lost quite a bit of physical and brain function and although he has recovered beyond expectations, he is in a wheelchair and I think cannot speak. 

The Red Wings (coached by Scotty, by the way) dedicated the following season to Konstantinov, who had defected, in 1993, from Russia at age 26 and was the best defenseman (Norris runner-up the year the Wings won the cup) on a team that included Nik Lidstrom.  Konstantinov made his first public appearance since the accident at game 4 of the finals, at which Detroit completed their sweep of the capitals (this was the year the caps beat Dominik and the Sabres in the ECF).

Anyway, I think most hockey fans would enjoy the documentary.  

The Irishman. That's 3.5 hours I'll never get back. Holy frig! Boring! My Lord, did that movie drag! Not to mention all of the actors have all played this part before. Once great actors droning on and on for 3.5 hours. I think they got the chronological order of just about every significant historical date wrong with how it should fit into the movie. 

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

The Irishman. That's 3.5 hours I'll never get back. Holy frig! Boring! My Lord, did that movie drag! Not to mention all of the actors have all played this part before. Once great actors droning on and on for 3.5 hours. I think they got the chronological order of just about every significant historical date wrong with how it should fit into the movie. 

I agree. Watched parts of the first hour and 30 minutes. Absolutely nothing about that movie would pull me in. 

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to cancel Netflix.  I'm not really sure what they have to offer at this point at their price.  I can always pick it back up short term when something like Ozark puts out another season, but they really don't bring much to the table right now.

My wife has been binging Yellowstone. She kept going on about how good it was, and I would sit down for a minute to catch a little. Anyway, I finally sat down to watch full episodes while she was in the middle of the second season. It's like the Godfather combined with a good John Wayne western. Wish I had watched more of the earlier episodes. Some of the production looks like it was done by the people who worked on Westworld (opening sequence for sure, but the cinematography has a similar feel, too).

Also saw Ford vs. Ferrari over the weekend. Surprised by how good it was. You need to appreciate an "older" style of linear story telling in film instead of the chaotic modern style of jumping all over the place. Bale and Damon do a fantastic job and the supporting cast is very good, too. You don't need to know or care about car racing for this film to work. 

• Like (+1) 1