Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

I need a new show. Just finished Carnival Row.  Here is what I have enjoyed in order of preference.

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Dexter

Better Call Saul

Sneaky Pete

GOT

Shameless

The Walking Dead

Snowfall (currently watching)

Anything on Amazon, Showtime and AMC are within my capabilities with other cable channels on demand as well. 

I'm convinced Breaking Bad will always be my #1

And just got going on Better Call Saul. It was good, then I hit the episode where we learned about Mike's son's death. That was Breaking Bad tier quality and I'm completely hooked now

In the last week I've seen "Blinded by the Light" and "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". BbtL was a feel good movie but still good while I was a bit surprised by the Time in Hollywood ending, I was 16 when that actually happened, but I liked it anyway. The swimming pool scene in the end was too awesome.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Peaky blinders

Netflix?  I don't have an account. 

29 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

I have enjoyed and recommend:

AMC: Preacher

Amazon: Vikings, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Fleabag.  6 Feet Under I believe is on there as well.  That's a show from a while back that was really good if you haven't seen it.

Six feet under was great. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I need a new show. Just finished Carnival Row.  Here is what I have enjoyed in order of preference.

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Dexter

Better Call Saul

Sneaky Pete

GOT

Shameless

The Walking Dead

Anything on Amazon, Showtime and AMC are within my capabilities with other cable channels on demand as well. 

I've enjoyed all of the shows you listed except Snowfall because I've never seen it (I'd also put GOT at the bottom of the list for the others). I'd recommend Ash vs Evil Dead more than anything but I think it's only on Starz and Netflix right now. I'd also recommend Six Feet Under which is from HBO but is also available through Amazon. Another good show on Amazon is Goliath. Billy Bob Thornton as a drunken lawyer taking on rich scumbags but there's only a few seasons so far. The Sopranos should also be on Amazon if you've never seen it. I'd highly recommend Vikings as well but you either need Netflix or a cable subscription that includes the History Channel.

The Leftovers was also good. Another HBO original that should be on Amazon since all the other HBO stuff seems to be on there since you've already seen Six Feet Under from a later post. If you can swap passwords with someone who has a Netflix subscription though, you should definitely check out Ash vs Evil Dead and Vikings. Based on the other stuff you enjoy you'd like them both.

Currently enjoying...

Fear the Walking Dead

NOS4A2

Preacher

Recently enjoyed...

Luther

GOT

Killing Eve

The Killing

Will enjoy the return of ...

Walking Dead

American Horror Story

Have enjoyed ...

Homeland (final season early next year)

Breaking Bad

The Americans 

Edited by Zamboni

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Dexter

Better Call Saul

Sneaky Pete

GOT

Shameless

The Walking Dead

The HBO show "Deadwood" is on Amazon and is on par with the Sopranos and the Wire at the top of the HBO drama canon, IMHO.

If you get FX shows, I think "Fargo" fits well into your list and was outstanding (Seasons 1 and 2 more than Season 3 though).  Also, "The Americans" was a great spy thriller, although it ran out of gas in its last 2 seasons, and "the Shield" was a great cop show.

If you get Sundance, "Deutscheland 83" was also a great spy thriller, although Season 1 was much better than Season 2.

"Friday Night Lights" (the show, not the movie) is on Amazon and was mostly great, if a bit uneven in parts, and not as dark or violent as the shows on your list.

"Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" were both great HBO WWII mini-series.

Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage are all good-to-great HBO comedies.

"Catastrophe" is a great Amazon comedy.

1 hour ago, jsb said:

In the last week I've seen "Blinded by the Light" and "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". BbtL was a feel good movie but still good while I was a bit surprised by the Time in Hollywood ending, I was 16 when that actually happened, but I liked it anyway. The swimming pool scene in the end was too awesome.

I saw the QT movie a month or so ago and thought it was excellent. 

My wife and I saw BBTL over the weekend.  It wasn't a great movie IMHO, but it was pretty good and as a Bruce fan I really enjoyed it.

43 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

I've enjoyed all of the shows you listed except Snowfall because I've never seen it (I'd also put GOT at the bottom of the list for the others). I'd recommend Ash vs Evil Dead more than anything but I think it's only on Starz and Netflix right now. I'd also recommend Six Feet Under which is from HBO but is also available through Amazon. Another good show on Amazon is Goliath. Billy Bob Thornton as a drunken lawyer taking on rich scumbags but there's only a few seasons so far. The Sopranos should also be on Amazon if you've never seen it. I'd highly recommend Vikings as well but you either need Netflix or a cable subscription that includes the History Channel.

Vikings is available on Prime. 

Separately: I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Prime was getting the seasons earlier than Netflix so I have usually watched the show on Prime.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Vikings is available on Prime. 

Separately: I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Prime was getting the seasons earlier than Netflix so I have usually watched the show on Prime.

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. You should definitely check out Vikings, @inkman. You'll know by the very first episode if you'll like the show and without commercials that's just a time investment of ~45 minutes. Based on the other shows you've enjoyed you should like it though.

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I still haven't made it through the second episode of Breaking Bad. I know I need to get over the hump of the first few episodes before things really get rolling, but every time I sit down to watch it I end up gravitating to something else. 

To my friend, a math guy.  Breaking bad is trajectory and speed, yes.  What ain’t?  It’s magic, though, is acceleration.

Y, along the X axis ...  1, 1, 2, 4, 7, 12, 18 .....    

Scene by episode by season.  Strap yourself in and wear a helmet.  Abandon the things you hold most dear.  Limit M as X increases => oo

38 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I still haven't made it through the second episode of Breaking Bad. I know I need to get over the hump of the first few episodes before things really get rolling, but every time I sit down to watch it I end up gravitating to something else. 

There is a lot of gut-wrenching family drama in the first couple of seasons that is hard to watch.  But @Neo is right that it gets better over time and turns into a really gripping and well-made crime drama.  (I still don't have BB as high on my list as many others do, but IMHO it's definitely worth watching.)

2 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Goliath is great 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It took me a full calendar year to finish season 1. 

Seasons 2-5, especially 4 and 5, took me on the ride of my life.

Lots of outstanding shows referenced here recently.

The Wire – anyone who says that’s maybe the best show ever won’t get an argument from me.

Band of Brothers – if you like WWII stuff and haven’t seen it, get on it immediately.

Breaking Bad – I never got around to watching/finishing it until recently (commitment issues).  Outstanding.  As a bonus you can then comfortably segue into the Better Call Saul spinoff which I’m on now and is wonderful.

Mad Men – (commitment issues again) the second I heard it was over I watched them all and loved it.

Fargo – No commitment issues here whatsoever.  I loved every episode and probably watched them all 3 or 4 times before the following episodes arrived.  Kind of ironic for a show named after the movie I described as the best movie I never wanted to see twice.  Can’t wait for season 4.

The Black Mirror – creepy but brilliant glimpse into the possible (probable?) unforeseen paths into the future of technology and humanity.

Old school shoutouts to Barney Miller and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  These are still incredible shows 40-60 years afterwards.

EDIT: let's add Monty Python's Flying Circus and Twin Peaks to the old school shoutouts.

Edited by BagBoy

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Everyone I know loves Black Mirror and tells me to watch it. The first episode was disgusting and awful and the second was cringe and impossible to get through and I never went back 

My sister said the same thing when I recommended it to her. 

Take my word for it and try Season 3, Episode 4 - San Junipero. If you don't enjoy that, I'd say you can be certain the series isn't for you.

Actually, even try Season 4, Episode 1 - USS Callister, if you are a fan of the original Star Trek. 

There's others I can recommend and these two aren't even necessarily my very favorites, but they are good and have a distinctly different vibe than the first-season episodes you watched. 

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I watched fleabag recently. It was really good. Shame I waited so long to watch it. From what I was reading the lead actor/ writer/show runner was also the show runner for season 1 of killing eve. I will probaly have to check that out as well now. She seems insanely talented

Hilarious, raunchy British humor.  It's so good.

12 hours ago, BagBoy said:

Lots of outstanding shows referenced here recently.

The Wire – anyone who says that’s maybe the best show ever won’t get an argument from me.

Band of Brothers – if you like WWII stuff and haven’t seen it, get on it immediately.

Breaking Bad – I never got around to watching/finishing it until recently (commitment issues).  Outstanding.  As a bonus you can then comfortably segue into the Better Call Saul spinoff which I’m on now and is wonderful.

Mad Men – (commitment issues again) the second I heard it was over I watched them all and loved it.

Fargo – No commitment issues here whatsoever.  I loved every episode and probably watched them all 3 or 4 times before the following episodes arrived.  Kind of ironic for a show named after the movie I described as the best movie I never wanted to see twice.  Can’t wait for season 4.

The Black Mirror – creepy but brilliant glimpse into the possible (probable?) unforeseen paths into the future of technology and humanity.

Old school shoutouts to Barney Miller and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  These are still incredible shows 40-60 years afterwards.

EDIT: let's add Monty Python's Flying Circus and Twin Peaks to the old school shoutouts.

As I've watched every in your post, I'll have to give black mirror a try. 

Scratch that, don't have Netflix. ?